I have always tuned my guitars every which way and it's never been a problem, but then one of my electric's became extremely warped and the attendant at the store said that if you change the tuning you have to have your guitar "set up".

So I'm guessing that if you drop from E standard to C# or C standard it will mess up the neck if you don't set up your guitar correctly?

My reason for asking is that I have recently bought my first "nice" acoustic guitar and I have not yet changed the tuning. It plays flawlessly now, but I am worried that as soon as I start dicking around with the tuning it will not ever play right again.

Do I have a reason to be concerned?
Its not the neck its things like inatation
Inatation is about the tuning if you have good inatation it will stay intune all the way up the neck but bad it wont. basicly the twelfth fret should be excatly one tone higher then the open string
(you can check this with a tuner)
If it isnt adjust the bridge where the string sits on and screw it backwards or forwards until its in tune do this for all the strings
Quote by Ichimaru
Pics? I can tell if someone has AIDS just by looking.

Quote by xHuffyx
BTW, what's metal and full of holes?

Dimebag Darrell.
P.S also cos the strings are loser the neck might become slacker becuase the strings aint as tight ( if you get me) so just tighten up to truss rod
Quote by Ichimaru

Quote by xHuffyx

Dimebag Darrell.
No Probs
Quote by Ichimaru

Quote by xHuffyx

Dimebag Darrell.
Quote by Josola
Inatation is about the tuning if you have good inatation it will stay intune all the way up the neck but bad it wont. basicly the twelfth fret should be excatly one tone higher then the open string
If it isnt adjust the bridge where the string sits on and screw it backwards or forwards until its in tune do this for all the strings

lmfao inatation? Just saying that out loud should suggest to you its spelt wrong. lmao..

And 12th is one OCTAVE higher,

Also, most acoustics have fixed bridges.

TS, it'll be fine. Many many players change tunings regularly (Standard, Eb Standard, Open tunings, DADGAD, Drop D, etc) with no ill effect to their guitars.
Let me tell you about heartache and the loss of god
Wandering, wandering in hopeless night
Out here in the perimeter there are no stars

Out here we is stoned
Immaculate.
Ok sorry for the spelling but i thought it was in-a-tay-shun like that
Quote by Ichimaru

Quote by xHuffyx

Dimebag Darrell.
i new what i meant sorry i could find the word so i said tone *shamed* lol
Quote by Ichimaru

Quote by xHuffyx

Dimebag Darrell.
haha. it's pronounced IN-TOE-NATION. spelled intonation.

Anyway... Acoustic guitars are built to withstand much more tension from the strings than electric guitars are. Keeping your acoustic in different tunings is fine. Also, theres a common myth that not enough tension on an acoustic guitar is a problem. It is not. Have fun playing!
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
TS, it'll be fine. Many many players change tunings regularly (Standard, Eb Standard, Open tunings, DADGAD, Drop D, etc) with no ill effect to their guitars.

True. Ive tuned down as far as Drop C with no problems.
Quote by Josola

LOL.

Back on track. Intonation and action will be affected by the tunings. The neck should stay in good shape regardless.