I am a student doing a product study on bass guitar bodies.
I am trying to find out which material bass bodies do people to prefer to play.
The two materials a i am looking at inperticular are hardened acrylic bass bodies (See trhoguh bass bodies) and alder wood bass bodies.
If you could give me your thoughts back on whih material you prefer and why it would be a great help to my study.
Simon Martin
...this is all in the realm of specific needs. A player seeking a certain tone requires the body wood that produces that tone. A player seeking extra attention and a herniated disk requires hardened acrylic.

edit* if you're really conducting research here (and I'd triple check the UG rules over if market research is allowed in any way shape or form--I have serious suspicions.) then a poll might be nice attached to this thread.
Last edited by dullsilver_mike at Jul 14, 2008,
Well alders pretty common but people aren't going to pick it over say bubinga or even maple sometimes, its entirely down to tone!

and Acrylic is a bit gimmicky imho
Cort lover of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join.
On cheating in a relationship...

Quote by metaldud536
If he doesn't use a gameshark, it's not cheating.

I'm a non-regular regular old user.
Quote by IndieMetalhead
Well alders pretty common but people aren't going to pick it over say bubinga or even maple sometimes, its entirely down to tone!

and Acrylic is a bit gimmicky imho

+1 the wood depends on the bassist and that Acrylic stuff is just made for show offs that try to make up for bad ability by there bass' looks.
Gear:

Musicman SUB 5
Ibanez SRX305
Ibanez GSR200
Ashdown MAG300 C115
Ashdown MAG 210 cab

Soon a Fender Deluxe Jazz V & an LTD 206
Quote by Deliriumbassist
^Acrylic basses do look flashy, but you can get good tone out of them.

Flashy basses and good tones never go hand in hand

<_<

>_>

Don't worry...i'm kidding!

Quote by metaldud536

This falls into the "personal opinion" category.
Personally, I have no preference (other than not liking maple fingerboards) and have really play a bass to find out.
I had a Washburn made out of Adler that I just loved the tone and played several basses with Adler bodies since that I hated the tone.
I would pick Alder over synthetic, but Alder would not be my first choice.

Btw--there's a good discussion on tone woods in the FAQ at the top of the forum. You may want to review that as well for more information.
I prefer ash way over alder, but my favorite woods are probably wenge for feel, maple for clarity and punch, purpleheart for added mids, and bubinga for depth.

I find acrylic basses make me look odd, as they have a very futuristic look that does not blend with my hobo appearance.
so I dislike them on account of look.
they do have some nice weight to them though...
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Quote by the humanity
I prefer ash way over alder, but my favorite woods are probably wenge for feel, maple for clarity and punch, purpleheart for added mids, and bubinga for depth.

I find acrylic basses make me look odd, as they have a very futuristic look that does not blend with my hobo appearance.
so I dislike them on account of look.
they do have some nice weight to them though...

Those are the see-thru basses right?

You stole my Overture
^Those always look like Jello sculptures to me somehow; I've never found them particularly attractive.
^Weigh a ton aswell

Unless you like breaking your back i wouldn't pick it, you can get a far better tone from a bass that weighs half as much!

Quote by metaldud536

yeah. those are the things. now imagine a large skinny tan guy with unruly black hair, torn green scout pants, and a wrinkled t-shirt playing 'Sunshine of Your Love'.
it is not the stuff of your dreams. now picture the same guy with a shredded sunburst j-bass. probably less stupid looking.

am I not correct?
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
I'd avoid acrylic...tonally dead and far too heavy.

As far as solidbody basses go my ash on mahogany ATK sounds perfect to me.
Quote by the humanity
yeah. those are the things. now imagine a large skinny tan guy with unruly black hair, torn green scout pants, and a wrinkled t-shirt playing 'Sunshine of Your Love'.
it is not the stuff of your dreams. now picture the same guy with a shredded sunburst j-bass. probably less stupid looking.

am I not correct?

Just a lil less

smb, ive heard good things about the tone. amiwrong?
You stole my Overture