This is a very good story, but i'm gonna ask this for the sake of my friends guitar...

I got a phone call yesterday, and this is how it went:
Him: Hey, how many ways can you tune your guitar?
Me: um... what? What are you talking about?
Him: I can tune my guitar in two different ways!
Me: ....huh....
Him: Does you guitar have little screws on the bridge, where you can tune it? ...well, my guitar does, and i can tune it in two different ways, it works, too. All you do, is just get a screw driver and tighten or loosen those box-thingies on the bridge.

...and i'll stop right there.
I told him he probably just messed up his intonation, but he said it plays fine... so i'm wondering, what damage could he have just done?

(He has an Ibanez GRG170DX)
O O

___
No damage really.

He is messing up his intonation. However, intonation is the just the tuning up and down the string. Basically controls if the higher frets will also be in tune when the open string is.

It's pretty easy to fix with a chromatic tuner and a screwdriver.
I think hes reffering to the action adjusters, thats what I call em, all they do is raise or lower his strings above the neck, if he lowers em too low, he'll get fret buzz... Telll him hes a retard for me...
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie
Hey guys in the last 3 weeks I ****ed all the girls in this picture, what do you think?

okay, i new it messed up his intonation, but i was wondering about anything else.
O O

___
Quote by VanTheKraut
Telll him hes a retard for me...

will do (although i already did it a few times )
O O

___
Quote by VanTheKraut
I think hes reffering to the action adjusters, thats what I call em, all they do is raise or lower his strings above the neck, if he lowers em too low, he'll get fret buzz... Telll him hes a retard for me...

I assumed it was the intonation because he was using a screwdriver not an allen key.
Those things are $250 don't worry about it.
Studies have shown that 92% of guitar players are close-minded. Copy this into your signature if you're part of the 8% who enjoy rap.

Me
He sounds like he's a bit of a beginner if he didn't know the difference between tuners and adjustable intonation/action saddles. I'm not sure if he should be trusted to set up his own action and intonation, since most guitar shops will set up a guitar for you well and pretty cheaply. Alternatively, you could do it for him and teach him how.
Dunlop Straps™
The best sounding straps on the market

Quote by steven seagull
Justice is this, justice is that...justice is 9 minutes long and recorded in a cupboard full of fluffy pillows
he's definately not a beginner, he's had a guitar for 3 years, but never tried to learn, till a year ago, he can play pretty okay, but he's just a retard when it comes to ANY knowledge about a guitar.
And he wasn't trying to adjust his intonation, or set up his guitar, he just noticed some screws, and thought his guitar had two different ways of tuning it.
O O

___
Quote by TheBax
he's definately not a beginner, he's had a guitar for 3 years, but never tried to learn, till a year ago, he can play pretty okay, but he's just a retard when it comes to ANY knowledge about a guitar.
And he wasn't trying to adjust his intonation, or set up his guitar, he just noticed some screws, and thought his guitar had two different ways of tuning it.

So he was like,

"Hey look! I found a much more difficult and less effective way of tuning my guitar! And the good news is that you need a tool to do it!"

?
yeah, basically, haha.

And i think the reason he called me up, was because he thought his guitar was uber awesome, and had something mine didn't have (which it does, obviously).

And i have a question, what will happen if you try to screw a fender whammy bar into a ibanez tremolo?? Because genius here did it, but it's stuck, and it just moves around, and won't come out. And i took the back off his guitar, and theres no opening to push it out, or work with it in any way.
O O

___
Quote by TheBax

And i have a question, what will happen if you try to screw a fender whammy bar into a ibanez tremolo??

This:

Quote by TheBax
Because genius here did it, but it's stuck, and it just moves around, and won't come out. And i took the back off his guitar, and theres no opening to push it out, or work with it in any way.
Don't ibanez handles just go in there somehow (i don't know), like pop in... in other words, they don't screw it, do they?
O O

___
Quote by TheBax
Don't ibanez handles just go in there somehow (i don't know), like pop in... in other words, they don't screw it, do they?

Depends what model it is. I thought the EDGE III had a screw in tremolo like a fender, and Edge Pro has the push in bar but i might be wrong about the III.
hahahaha. . . . thats hilarious.
thats nearly as funny as when my friend tried to go all dragonforce on his guitar and the whole bridge fell off!! that was the funniest thing ive ever seen
Why are you calling him stupid if you are not even sure of what he did or how it effects the guitar?
Quote by TheBax

Has he ever loosened the screws on anything before? I loosened the screws on my toaster and the ****er exploded. Every time I now see a screw I leave it be...

Especially on something that's jacked up to a box of electricity.

Tell you're friend he's PHAIL.
Quote by gilmourish
hahahaha. . . . thats hilarious.
thats nearly as funny as when my friend tried to go all dragonforce on his guitar and the whole bridge fell off!! that was the funniest thing ive ever seen

SOZ FOR DOUBLE POST. THIS IS IMPORTANT!

Ever since guitar hero III came out, my borderline retarded friends keep asking me to play THROUGH THE FIRE AND THE FLAMES. So I learned it.

One day I was having an off day and I forgot the pick (I usually play with my thumb) and I started shredding it full speed.

Picture a cheese grater sawing my thumb off... cuz that's basically what happened. I had to wipe BLOOD off of my pickups.
Quote by CJE
Has he ever loosened the screws on anything before? I loosened the screws on my toaster and the ****er exploded. Every time I now see a screw I leave it be...

Especially on something that's jacked up to a box of electricity.

Tell you're friend he's PHAIL.

I have no idea how your toaster blowing up is even relevant. Yes, the kid was being dumb, but he wasn't messing with electricity. He was adjusting some screws on the bridge of his guitar.

Don't act so innocent, I'm sure a fair share of us have fiddled with screws we didn't understand--that's how you learn.
TheBax - it doesn't appear that you have the answers either so why is your friend the stupid one? No offense but you would have been better off just asking the question that you have.

^^needs to start his own thread or go to the Pit.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH

^^needs to start his own thread or go to the Pit.

+1

2 out of 3 of his total posts on UG have annoyed me--already.