If you ever get the chance to try this wonderful instrument
Do it

Yes it's difficult and yes there are a lot of strings
Eastern music theory ain't the same as the Western one

Hell, even music ain't got the same purpose

I play for fun and I gotta say
Costs a lot, but when you hit the strings

You're on a flying rug over India making out with Shiva
Electric (6 strings +12 drones) sitar FTW. Great for us lazy people.
Dunlop Straps™
The best sounding straps on the market

Quote by steven seagull
Justice is this, justice is that...justice is 9 minutes long and recorded in a cupboard full of fluffy pillows
Quote by aetherspear
A) shiva's a dude, so have fun with that.
B)yes it's alot of fun.

I learned something today
as long as he keeps looking like a women

But
I tried looking for some ragas
Getting them by ear is kind of hard
Do you know some?
Quote by aetherspear
A) shiva's a dude, so have fun with that.

Actually Shiva is a deity who takes male or female avatars. Hinduism is a complex religion.

I'd like to learn sitar one day but they're expensive over here. I hear they're dirt cheap over in India, but what isn't? I may just get an electric sitar. It sounds just like a sitar, but it's really more like a guitar so it would presumably be much more convenient to incorporate into western music.
^no man, Shiva is a guy, but he's also one of the 5 incarnates of the divine, and of his avatars, the only one close to being a woman is Ardhanarishvara, which is half man half woman. But yeah, there are many facets of hinduism.

On topic, my friends dad went to india and bought a few sitars for cheap, but sold them before I had heard about it.
Quote by allislost
I would say that aetherspear speaks nothing but the truth.
UG Blues Group
UG Reggae & Dub Group
Need Professional Mixing for cheap? Need Vinyl to Digital Transfers? PM Me.
Indians aren't too keen on scoring traditional music, so good luck with that.

Oh I wish a I had a sitar... God, that would be awesome.
There's only one thing we can do to thwart the plot of these albino shape-shifting lizard BITCHES!
i play this turkish instrument called a baglama, and it has 15 different notes rather than only 12. And yes the theory is a bit harder
Quote by aetherspear
^no man, Shiva is a guy, but he's also one of the 5 incarnates of the divine, and of his avatars, the only one close to being a woman is Ardhanarishvara, which is half man half woman. But yeah, there are many facets of hinduism.

right, but in his vishnu-form, he makes love with shakti, who is always a woman..
so that makes him either male or gay.. and what religion would make a god of destruction gay?

anyway, i remember posting a topic in advanced techniques whith a link somewhere to a lot of raga's, i suggest starting there,
and youtube contains some easily figured out ones

it does blow my head sometimes that the raga is not only the notes but also the order of them.. i just acn't seem to stick to it (on guitar though, i wish i could pay for and play a sitar..
1953 Epiphone zephyr
1988 PRS custom 24
1960 Moon oct. mandolin