Hi everyone,

I'm looking at getting an electric-acoustic in the next few weeks, not spending more than $800. I know a little bit of what to look for, but not too much. I'm wondering if spending that much on a Martin or Taylor is actually worse than getting a "lesser" brand at the same cost.

I was at Guitar Center yesterday, and the guy there told me that a $600 Breedlove (AD25SM) was built better than a $700 Martin (000CX-1E). I liked the feel and sound of the Breedlove better anyway, and would not have chosen the Martin over it regardless of the name. He also showed me an $800 Taylor (114CE). I like the Taylor a lot, but it's inexpensive as far as Taylor's go, and so I don't know if it's cheaply made. I do want something that will age well. The Taylor has laminate sides and back and the Breedlove has mahogany. Both have Sitka spruce tops. The fretboard of the Taylor is mahogany, and the Breedlove is rosewood. I don't know much about the electronics. The Taylor did sound better to my ears, but I want a guitar that I can keep for a while and will last.

How much does the price of a guitar really mean? I'm not looking to buy something to show off the headstock haha. I want something that's going to sound nice when I play it, plugged in and not.

I'm not limiting my decision to those two, so please feel free to make suggestions.

-Josh

/fail
Last edited by Josshhhhh at Jul 14, 2008,
i was recently in the same boat. i got a takamine EG544SC from my grandparents for christmas that normally cost about 600 bucks. it sounds incredible and is a breathtaking guitar. it sounds better than any taylor below the 500/600 series. the electronics are great and the built in tuner is dead on. i believe my grandma negotiated it down to about 350-400 bucks too.
dave matthews might.. just.. be.. god..

Quote by gregs1020
yes, pointing it at your head will send the sound towards your head.

it's the same with guns too, before you go testing that one.
I realized I should have titled this "Cheap 'high-end' guitars" lol. But anyway..

A friend of mine has a Takamine, and he loves it. I'm not sure what model he has, or the cost.. I should ask him about that haha. But I'll definitely look into them.
-Josh

/fail
mines on musicians friend if you just search takamine eg544sc its got a bright sound to it and is very versatile great for strumming and fingerstyle.
dave matthews might.. just.. be.. god..

Quote by gregs1020
yes, pointing it at your head will send the sound towards your head.

it's the same with guns too, before you go testing that one.
Avoid Taylors and Martins at this price range. You can get a better guitar for $800. Look into the Guild GAD series guitars, Seagull, and Epiphone Masterbilt. The Breedlove should also be a good choice.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
get a masterbilt .. you have many options on this line and ull save some money while your at it .. and the guitar will age very nicely as not only does it have a solid top but back and sides are also solid
take it easy man .. its just a thread