Hey guys, I'm asking for my friend, he just got satellite internet and theres a two second lag from each click to go to the satellite and back. Now it's fine and fast for browsing but it's bad for gaming, World of Warcraft in particular. Now I know with the game having 10 million players someone has to have satellite and found a solution to the lag, because you can't really play like that and be successful. Does anyone know a solution or anything that would work? Thanks & Godbless.
Matthew 7:7 ""Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you."

Pop Punk! Check us out!: Flinch
A solution I'd suggest is stop playing world of warcraft. Seriously. Also seriously, satellite internet isn't anywhere near as good as normal internet yet, so you'd just have to get a standard broadband modem. Finally, I think that this 'friend' of yours is you.
Quote by michal23
A solution I'd suggest is stop playing world of warcraft. Seriously. Also seriously, satellite internet isn't anywhere near as good as normal internet yet, so you'd just have to get a standard broadband modem. Finally, I think that this 'friend' of yours is you.

So easy to make a WoW joke, isn't it? He can do what he likes, it's his life. People play it, get over it. And, what's your point? What does it matter if you think his friend is actually him?

However, I WOULD suggest just not using satellite internet.
Jackson KVX10
Epiphone EB-3

Bugera 6260
Laney Supergroup Mk 1
Marshall VS100RH
Laney LX412A

Bad Monkey
Crybaby
Metal Muff
Fish N Chips
No it's not me, I really wouldn't be ashamed to say I play WoW considering MMO's are really fun?

So theres no way to do it? How have the other players done it? There has to be a way somehow to stop the lag on WoW.
Matthew 7:7 ""Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you."

I really don't think its that much slower, definitely not 2 seconds slower. It'll just suck when its bad weather.

Edit: that delay is about 500-700 milliseconds and is about the same as slow regular dsl, not ideal for gaming

2nd Edit: ignored your question there, there is no way to speed up satellite internet a side from inventing a new info transmission method and launching a new satellite.
I'm the one who has to die when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life, the way I want to.
-Jimi Hendrix
Last edited by NudistNate! at Jul 14, 2008,
Well, how do you think it COULD be done? You've just said yourself that it takes some time to get to the satellite and I don't think there's a wat to bring the satellite closer.
Quote by Freddedonna
Well, how do you think it COULD be done? You've just said yourself that it takes some time to get to the satellite and I don't think there's a wat to bring the satellite closer.

Well I posted here hoping to find someone that would know something on the topic but.. He can't get cable either, he would if he could.

Quote by tr3nt
Well I posted here hoping to find someone that would know something on the topic but.. He can't get cable either, he would if he could.

Then get it through the phone line.
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
Then get it through the phone line.

Dial up?

He cant get cable, hes too isolated from a city with a tower, he lives in the country.

Quote by tr3nt
Dial up?

He cant get cable, hes too isolated from a city with a tower, he lives in the country.

No, just regular DSL broadband.
Unfortunately you are unable to stop the 2 second latency as it is a physical latency I presume. Meaning that, unless you somehow boost the speed bast the speed of light - you can't lower it.
Quote by tr3nt
Dial up?

Cable goes through fibre optic wires in the ground.

Through the phone line goes through the copper wires which attach to the roof of your house.

People get confused because cable and non cable both involve the use of cables

But yeah get it through your phone line. It is slower depending on your distance from the telephone exchange because you lose speed and information along the copper wires, but it would still be faster than satellite I imagine.
well his only options through the companies here were dial up or satellite

Can't be done. Satellite internet is pretty poor anyhow

i thought all upstream connections were done by dialup anyway, and sent back via the satellite?
Cort lover of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join.
On cheating in a relationship...

Quote by metaldud536
If he doesn't use a gameshark, it's not cheating.

I'm a non-regular regular old user.
That's impossible. I know the American system is often a bit backwards compared to in the UK but if he can get dial up, that is to say he has a phone line running to his house, then he can get broadband that way as well. If the provider he is currently with is only offering a slow speed dial up he needs to change to a different company who will provide this to him, as it is of no difference to the company...
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
That's impossible. I know the American system is often a bit backwards compared to in the UK but if he can get dial up, that is to say he has a phone line running to his house, then he can get broadband that way as well. If the provider he is currently with is only offering a slow speed dial up he needs to change to a different company who will provide this to him, as it is of no difference to the company...

Actually it is possible, ATT/Yahoo/etc. do not provide dsl coverage everywhere, kind of like cable...in some rural places, its either dial-up or satellite

Has your friend tried the cell phone internet from ATT or Cricket, it runs decent, but I dont know how it would work for WOW
Quote by masterk1818
I tell him to stop but he doesn't listen.

He just keeps thrusting

^Talking about his dog

THERE CAN ONLY BE ONE

^if you don't get it, search for Duel of the Farts
Quote by wlcm2themachine
Actually it is possible, ATT/Yahoo/etc. do not provide dsl coverage everywhere, kind of like cable...in some rural places, its either dial-up or satellite

Has your friend tried the cell phone internet from ATT or Cricket, it runs decent, but I dont know how it would work for WOW

Lol if it's that rural he won't have 3g coverage for mobile internet...
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
Lol if it's that rural he won't have 3g coverage for mobile internet...

My mom lives outside of DSL/Cable coverage, and its pretty rural, but she has the cricket wireless card, those just depend on cell phone coverage, which is almost everywhere nowadays
Quote by masterk1818
I tell him to stop but he doesn't listen.

He just keeps thrusting

^Talking about his dog

THERE CAN ONLY BE ONE

^if you don't get it, search for Duel of the Farts
Quote by wlcm2themachine
My mom lives outside of DSL/Cable coverage, and its pretty rural, but she has the cricket wireless card, those just depend on cell phone coverage, which is almost everywhere nowadays

So is DSL coverage. 3g networking being available at your mums house doesn't mean it's available everywhere!
Last edited by Mistress_Ibanez at Jul 14, 2008,
Quote by wlcm2themachine

Don't mess with Mistress_Ibanez. Srsly. She works for Virgin.
Jackson KVX10
Epiphone EB-3

Bugera 6260
Laney Supergroup Mk 1
Marshall VS100RH
Laney LX412A

Bad Monkey
Crybaby
Metal Muff
Fish N Chips