I was wondering what UG's take on skill : time was

Here's what I mean

After 1 year, how good should you be?

2?

3?

How good were you?

How good ARE you

How good should I be, been playing for a year?

( I've been taking guitar lessons for a year )
Quote by :-D
The view around here is that these threads should be closed, actually.

*reported*

That's not my view. It's a question about musicianship in the music talk forum.

TS, you need to make a judgement about whether you're happy with where you are now. If not, why? Do you need to learn to practice more effectively or be more disciplined? Maybe you don't have enough fun when playing. We can't make that judgement for you, everyone here has different musical values and opinions and no one here has ever seen you play.
Good point Eirien, thanks.

I don't know why I am getting reported though

I must've missed something?

This is the music talk forum o.O;
Quote by Eirien
That's not my view. It's a question about musicianship in the music talk forum.

TS, you need to make a judgement about whether you're happy with where you are now. If not, why? Do you need to learn to practice more effectively or be more disciplined? Maybe you don't have enough fun when playing. We can't make that judgement for you, everyone here has different musical values and opinions and no one here has ever seen you play.

+1

Quote by Ochazuke
Good point Eirien, thanks.

I don't know why I am getting reported though

I must've missed something?

This is the music talk forum o.O;

I wouldn't worry about it.
shred is gaudy music

I've been hanging around Guitar Basics too much; one of the rules there is not to make threads like this so I'm used to reporting them.

Don't worry about this one, my mistake; go with Eirien's answer.
Last edited by :-D at Jul 14, 2008,
Quote by :-D

I've been hanging around Guitar Basics too much; one of the rules there is not to make threads like this so I'm used to reporting them.

Don't worry about this one, my mistake; go with Eirien's answer.

Actually, they're generally reported around here as well.

TS: That's a ridiculously vague question. So vague that's it's completely impossible to offer an answer, other than "it depends". On what? Everything. Quantity of practice, quality of practice, dexterity, natural coordination, intelligence, style of music, stress level. Everything.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Archeo didn't answer because he's upset he's still a n00b

Just kidding man.

I really don't like these types of things. It makes you see how good other people are compared to yourself and get discouraged.

I strive to be the best guitarist I can be. To do that, I don't see how comparing myself to a completely different guitarist will help.
“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.”

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
Quote by metal4all

I really don't like these types of things. It makes you see how good other people are compared to yourself and get discouraged.

I strive to be the best guitarist I can be. To do that, I don't see how comparing myself to a completely different guitarist will help.

+ 1

the more you focus on how "good" you are, or how "good" you should be, the less you focus on making music.

In regards to *reporting stuff like this:

The only time I really see it as being necessary is for blatant spam or posts that just don't belong in the particular forum ( and for that a simple "move" by the mods would be sufficient). I mean if someone asks a stupid question, who freakin cares? Is *reporting every little "violation" really helping the forum?? In most cases I see it as being more annoying than the actual post thats been "*reported".
shred is gaudy music
Quote by metal4all

A BIG +1!!!
You shouldn't really bother even putting this up, and everyones just gonna report you anyway. Im only 6 months in and I can do lotsa stuff. How "Good" you are is your own perspective. I think I am "Good", or even "Great" for how long Ive been play. I wouldnt want to brag but I can play: Pinch Harmonics, Alternate pick, sweep pick (to an extent), Tap, Play the intro solo to One, and the intro to Sweet Child of mine. Not to mention other various stuff thats fun to play.
Quote by Life Is Brutal
I wouldnt want to brag

Then why did you go ahead and do exactly that?

Though "exaggerating" is probably a better term.