I'm going to start recording guitar now and need some help.

What would be the best way for doing this? My budget right now is 150$. I have a crappy stock soundcard so i need to bypass that.

I was thinking simply a Shure SM57 for 100$ and then a mixer for the other 50$, would this work and be at least decent?

Or is there maybe a better way?
thats what I did, and it sounds great.

The only thing is you might need about another 50 in cables as well, such as an XLR for mic, and audio to your computer.

I use the stock soundcard, and as long as you are careful with your levels, it should turn out decent.
Quote by KuzunE
I'm going to start recording guitar now and need some help.

What would be the best way for doing this? My budget right now is 150$. I have a crappy stock soundcard so i need to bypass that.

I was thinking simply a Shure SM57 for 100$ and then a mixer for the other 50$, would this work and be at least decent?

Or is there maybe a better way?

There is. You could get an interface, like the M Audio Fasttrack or Art Dual Pre, that'll connect you directly to your computer with a better sound than your soundcard. The microphone and cables are all you need (I approve of them). No mixer required. Sweetwater's a great place for cables since Hosa's a rock solid brand and the shipping's free.
Quote by keiron_d
thank you sooooooo much for the advice Fast_Fingers...i would hug you if i could...i looooove you!

True love exists in UG. Can you feel it?

Recording Guitar Amps 101
No mixer needed for home recording. They are meant for live situations.

Pick up a budget audio interface. The ones suggested above are fine. An SM57 and a cable and stand you're gold.

DS
Irrelevant quote from obscure person
Obnoxious statement regarding size of e-ween
Italicized text indicating bandwagoning masquerading as deep thought
ASCII graphic that will take over the world if you put one in your signature
Made up statistic