Poll: 9-42 or 10-46
Poll Options
View poll results: 9-42 or 10-46
9-42
11 39%
10-46
17 61%
Voters: 28.
i use 13's on my 6'er..but whatever i would say go for 11's, you get better tone and its just good to use heavier string sets.
If you want less tone but easier to play, get 9s. If you want more tone but 'harder' to play stay with 10s.

Or just build up finger strength.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
Quote by Lil Macker
If you want less tone but easier to play, get 9s. If you want more tone but 'harder' to play stay with 10s.

Or just build up finger strength.

i heard when you play distorted the tone differences between gauges become less-- is that true
Quote by JeffWiredBeck24
Go with 9.5-44 instead. Perfect middle ground.

unfortunately these guys cost like 1.5x normal strings
Quote by Acquiescence
unfortunately these guys cost like 1.5x normal strings

and still cost under 20 bucks. buy bass strings, then talk about price.
Quote by assparade69
and still cost under 20 bucks. buy bass strings, then talk about price.

But bass strings last a hell of a lot longer than guitar strings, so it works out evenly, I think.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
Quote by JeffWiredBeck24
Go with 9.5-44 instead. Perfect middle ground.

Where do you buy that set?
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
One thing to keep in mind. When you change the gage of strings, the intonation needs to be re-adjusted. I have had some issues with some guitar bridges not having enough adjustment range to get the intonation correct.

This was especially true of older guitars that originally specified 11's (or heavier) and trying to string the axe with 9's - which can require quite a bit more adjustment. The fix is sometimes cheap, like removing the spring on a string's adjuster. In other cases, I had to modify or replace the bridge itself.
Just go for 10's can always grind them down 1 mm if desired =)

UG Mods really have no sense of humour.....

I use .10's. Maybe you are just a weakling!
My obligatory gear list

Guitars
Schecter C-1 Classic
Gibson SG Special
1987 Fender Strat
Epiphone PR-150

Amp and Effects
Peavey Valveking 112
Boss DD-6
Crybaby Wah-wah
Ibanez TS-9DX
Banshee 2 Talkbox

Crit plz! Wh ore of Gommorah
Quote by dkcol
One thing to keep in mind. When you change the gage of strings, the intonation needs to be re-adjusted. I have had some issues with some guitar bridges not having enough adjustment range to get the intonation correct.

This was especially true of older guitars that originally specified 11's (or heavier) and trying to string the axe with 9's - which can require quite a bit more adjustment. The fix is sometimes cheap, like removing the spring on a string's adjuster. In other cases, I had to modify or replace the bridge itself.

does changing gauge down make the intonation go sharp or flat?
I have 9s right now - Got another 2 packs of 9s left then I'm switching to 11s.

I played 10s on my buddy's guitar and it seemed alright. I couldn't really hear the tonal difference because he had a really tiny ss amp.
lets see...you mean like 10s to 9s?

well .09s are lighter gauge so they won't pull as much therefore i would say - flat not sharp. But that is only until you make the new adjustments to guitar and retune, readjust, retune.

also depends on the guitar and bridge type. My personal experience is with a Strat and a vintage non-locking 'floating' bridge.
Quote by JeffWiredBeck24
Here

They're not at all expensive.

I wish it had a 46 on the bottom though. Oh well, I'll probably order singles anyway.
RIP Jasmine You.

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
I prefer 10's for D Standard, feels like 9's in E for me.
RIP Jasmine You.

Quote by FaygoBro420
Quote by Acquiescence
can 9.5s be ok in d standard?
I'd at least use 10's if not 11's to go a full step down.
我会关闭我的耳朵,和我的心; 我会变成一个石头
"I will close my ears and my heart and I will be a stone"
I like the hybrid slinkies, with lights on the first three strings and mediums on the last three strings. It gives a little more chug on the lower chords, while leaving the higher strings bendy and light.
Quote by Steve BP
I like the hybrid slinkies, with lights on the first three strings and mediums on the last three strings. It gives a little more chug on the lower chords, while leaving the higher strings bendy and light.

These seem real nice. I'm gonna have to try these out. Thanks for mentioning them!
Schecter C-1 XXX (with SD Dave Mustaine Livewire Actives)
Roland Cube 60