Yeah, so I'm in two bands, and well from my previous experience in my local scene my Spider III 30-watt wont do want I need it to do. So I'm looking for a half stack, preferably tube, under $1,300. The bands are radically different however, one is punk/hard-rock where I'm leads and the other is industrial metal/metalcore where I'm rhythm. So if anyone can help me pick a good half stack that'd be great.
mesa dual rectifier?

mesa cab or marshall cab or orange cab.

thats the way i'd go.
I play bass!
A used Mesa Rectoverb combo sounds like it'd be absolutely ideal for you, see if you can try one out.

You don't really need a tube halfstack, a tube 2x12 would be just as loud as a halfstack of the same wattage.
randall RM50H FTW. it's 50 watts tube, but it's loud enough i'm sure. ultimate versatility.

i'm not sure how much they are brand new....but if nothing else get a used one. and ebay for some used modules.

you could do fine w/ a 'blackface' for clean channel and 'recto' for your other. OD pedal for anything the recto channel can't handle....which isn't much
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
*fellow LEO feel free to give a shout out
Yeah I was thinking about the valveking. And I'm checking out the other peavy and the mesas.
Wow! nobodys said you dont need a halfstack yet!!

and im not gona either cause i have one, there pretty cool.

But on topic peavy valvekings are really good for you because they do most styles exsept if you need a really insain distortion for your metal band you might wanna get a pedal because it can do metal and but its quite tight i mean its enough for most styles i mean it can get an awsome lamb of god tone but for like bring me the horizon type stuff you could use a pedal for a tiny boost. apprently bad monkey ones work a treat on the Vk for like £50 im getting one soon hopfully :

Iv heard alot of good things about the 5150 although iv never played one look it up mabey?
Wow.... that crate amp is ridiculous... if I had that people would go to our shows just to look at the amp... they wouldn't even care about what we played.
Quote by Entropy
Yeah I was thinking about the valveking. And I'm checking out the other peavy and the mesas.

If you've got $1200, there's no need to settle for a Valveking. Sure, they're tube amps, but that's about all they've got going for them.

If you look hard enough, a used Orange Rockerverb 50 seems like a great option as well.
Ugh, VKs are just plain bad and 6505s won't do much other than metal.

Quote by hrdcorelaxplaya
A used Mesa Rectoverb combo sounds like it'd be absolutely ideal for you, see if you can try one out.

You don't really need a tube halfstack, a tube 2x12 would be just as loud as a halfstack of the same wattage.

Quote by slash_rocks2005
randall RM50H FTW. it's 50 watts tube, but it's loud enough i'm sure. ultimate versatility.

i'm not sure how much they are brand new....but if nothing else get a used one. and ebay for some used modules.

you could do fine w/ a 'blackface' for clean channel and 'recto' for your other. OD pedal for anything the recto channel can't handle....which isn't much

Two better suggestions IMO.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
keep in mind that your half stack doesn't really need to be too loud. 100 watts is only gonna be good for headroom issues. i say 50 watts should be perfect. any louder and you'll be carrying extra uneccessary weight. what size shows are you plannin' on playing?

what i like about the randall MTS line is that each 'module' (or channel, have you) has it's own independent EQ. Gain, Bass, Mid, Treble and volume. and then the amp has a master volume, Effects (i'm guessing master volume for FX loop), Density and Presence knobs.

plenty of tweakability in this thing. has an easy do-it-urself bias on the back w/ 'tube failure' leds in case ur tube blows and you can't tell. also has a master volume boost but i haven't looked into that.

FX loop on back has both 'parallel' and 'series'

yea....i like this amp.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
Timi, you're in the bandwagon group and yet you say the 5150 is a one-trick pony, I disagree, but to each on his own...

EDIT: I know it could be YOUR opinion, but the bandwagon says the same thing.
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Quote by aznrockerdude
Timi, you're in the bandwagon group and yet you say the 5150 is a one-trick pony, I disagree, but to each on his own...

EDIT: I know it could be YOUR opinion, but the bandwagon says the same thing.

The bandwagon recommends a 5150 to everyone, I don't

It's a good metal amp, with a functional clean channel. I don't really class that as versatile, but like you said, it's all opinion

My Music
Half stacks all are for show. Just get a good sounding amp. Don't worry so much about wattage. The PA will give you enough volume unless you get a tiny tiny amp.
^manyard is correct, a half stack prolly isn't necessary for you, TS.

....so get a randall RM50 combo instead!!! either way is WIN.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
Quote by timi_hendrix
The bandwagon recommends a 5150 to everyone, I don't

It's a good metal amp, with a functional clean channel. I don't really class that as versatile, but like you said, it's all opinion

I agree that it's not versatile either, but it's just the one trick pony thing that makes me mad.
RIP Jasmine You.

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
my bud is a metal guitarist, i mean metallll, and he of course got himself a 5150. he told me he got a good 'whole lotta love' tone out of it the other day and i was like, 'i thought those things were pretty much metal and hard rock?' and he said he cranked the clean channel. ..

that's when i'm like, 'wth...' and he explained that 5150s (6550s too?) were all shipped from the factories biased cold and therefor the clean sounded so lifeless. he told me he got his tubes upgraded and all of them biased properly, and it made the clean (as well as the lead obviously) channel sound MUCH nicer. sure, it's no blackface or twin, but i'm sure it sounds worlds better than a stock 5150 clean channel.

i don't think he's just talkin' garbage either....he has a great sense of tone and great playing technique. i was just kinda shocked that all the bandwagonning of 5150s was probably due to people who didn't have their biasing set due to the factory mistake.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
Quote by slash_rocks2005
my bud is a metal guitarist, i mean metallll, and he of course got himself a 5150. he told me he got a good 'whole lotta love' tone out of it the other day and i was like, 'i thought those things were pretty much metal and hard rock?' and he said he cranked the clean channel. ..

that's when i'm like, 'wth...' and he explained that 5150s (6550s too?) were all shipped from the factories biased cold and therefor the clean sounded so lifeless. he told me he got his tubes upgraded and all of them biased properly, and it made the clean (as well as the lead obviously) channel sound MUCH nicer. sure, it's no blackface or twin, but i'm sure it sounds worlds better than a stock 5150 clean channel.

i don't think he's just talkin' garbage either....he has a great sense of tone and great playing technique. i was just kinda shocked that all the bandwagonning of 5150s was probably due to people who didn't have their biasing set due to the factory mistake.

Yup, that's pretty much it, I don't understand why EVH wanted his amp biased cold, I remember he had a reason, I just forgot (wanted his amp to be 'out of control' as he described maybe?). Now that I think about it though, alot of high-gain amps are biased cold from the factory...
RIP Jasmine You.

Quote by FaygoBro420
yea, when my friend told me that i REALLY wanted to try his amp out. of course he's in the airforce and nowhere near town anymore....keep in touch through myspace.

but damn...that could change a lot of opinions if everyone played through a PROPERLY biased 5150/6550. i wouldn't expect the cleans to go from dull as hell to fendery clean...but i'm sure it could become quite usable with proper bias.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
Quote by aznrockerdude
Yup, that's pretty much it, I don't understand why EVH wanted his amp biased cold, I remember he had a reason, I just forgot (wanted his amp to be 'out of control' as he described maybe?). Now that I think about it though, alot of high-gain amps are biased cold from the factory...

A lot of high- gain players want all of their overdrive coming from the preamp, not the power amp.
The cleans on the 5150 are fine. They're not amazing, but no one buys it for that. I can get a Led Zep tone using the rhythm channel, about 9 oclock and cranking it.

One trick pony, no, but it's not a good alrounder either.
No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
wow ever since i heard someone a couple months back say the 'hi gainers prefer preamp over power amp saturation', that phrase has somehow found it's way into 90% of all threads here in GG&A.

not that i don't think it's true, just sick of reading it LOL.

and whether or not that's true, i dont believe that makes the tone any better on a 5150.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
I've played through combos, 2x12's and 4x12's and prefer a 4x12 cab over anything when it comes to metal. I like the way it fills out the room also the bass response they give.

Is it needed NO, is it better NO, does it matter NO, is it my prefrence and in my personal opinion does it sound better YES.

And dont get MG and Spider half stackers confused with people that own decent equipment and a half stack. That whole i got it to look cool thing goes out the window after that point.
Quote by slash_rocks2005
wow ever since i heard someone a couple months back say the 'hi gainers prefer preamp over power amp saturation', that phrase has somehow found it's way into 90% of all threads here in GG&A.

and whether or not that's true, i dont believe that makes the tone any better on a 5150.

While it may be true, for a few applications it's utterly horrendous for anything other than a few metal genres.

High gainers with a taste for a really musical tone prefer power amp saturation.
Quote by slash_rocks2005

It's just something that a regular said that's got out of hand, I think. It's more like, "High gain amps have a lot of preamp gain, but they still need the poweramp involved to make it sound fantastic".

My Music
A lot of high- gain players want all of their overdrive coming from the preamp, not the power amp.

This is your answer.
It's just something that a regular said that's got out of hand, I think. It's more like, "High gain amps have a lot of preamp gain, but they still need the poweramp involved to make it sound fantastic".
RIP Jasmine You.

Quote by FaygoBro420
I would just like to say that i am currently selling my V3, and from your description of the bands you are between or whatever, this might suit you nicely. I have it listed a little under what you want to spend. Ask around, you might want to get a better opinion or a different opinion, but i love that thing. Its super versatile and always a blast to play through. But yea.....V3 rocks!
Last edited by dogismycopilot at Jul 14, 2008,
yea i'm just sick of reading the UGer's common interpretation of the saying....

i guess if that's the case then all metal players need is a high headroom SS amp w/ a tube distortion pedal like the V-twin 8-)

anyway, i've always liked the power amp to balance a little of my preamp w/ my randall. put the preamp gain to btw half and 3/4 and then when the master get's cranked it's good enough for metal. OD just to make things REALLY boom. just cranking the preamp gain and volume while keeping the master lower just didn't sound nearly as good!!
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
Quote by hrdcorelaxplaya
But not EVH. That's why he used a Variac to lower the voltage and drive the poweramp into mega saturtation. This later got called The Brown Sound.
The preamp is important too, because it's the amps voice so to speak. But it can't all be preamp gain, you need that poweramp warmth, thump and squishy saturation.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
+1000 to the Randall, it's exactly what can suit you.
SPAM:

Good deals: rok-en-rol, truespin, ICFootball62, IndianScout, tinypants, HartRacer86, Huntred_67, Perandor, and many others from HC
Oh yeah, for both Punk Rock and Industrial styles, I highly recommend a Peavey XXX half stack.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
i'm stickin' w/ my randall suggestion

lol
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH