What's the differences between all the necks?
Cos im going guitar shopping soon, nd its all "thru neck", "set neck" etc

so if somebody could just explain all the different necks, that'd be cool

thanks
Bolt on: The neck is bolted on to the body, this joint is used by Ibanez and Fender on most of their instruments and some people claim it gives less sustain but they're much easier to replace if you somehow break the neck.

Set/Glued in: The neck is glued to the body and is a joint commonly used on high-end Epiphones and Gibson guitars, claims say that it gives more sustain but if you break the neck you can expect to pay a huge amount to get it fixed, probably more than the rest of the guitar is worth in the case of most Epiphones.

Thru-neck/Neck-thru: The neck and part of the middle of the guitar are made from the same piece of wood with other pieces of wood stuck to the side to make up the rest of the body. Many people claim it has the most sustain of the three but if the neck breaks somehow you're basically stuck for options unless you know a good luthier.

On sustain: Basically the neck joint isn't tha biggest factor in sustain, the biggest factor in sustain is a good vibrato technique; Steve Vai's "For the Love of God" was recorded on a bolt-on necked guitar.

Also it's worth noting that the set-neck and the neck-thru most likely will have better hand access to the higher frets on the neck. Also, obviously, you pay a premium for different neck joints, generally the bolt-on will be cheapest and the neck-thru most expensive.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
^Yeah, I was going to say it is up in Electric Guitar Info Sticky (post #5) so congrats to Zaphod for taking the time.

It's in one of the stickies? Dammit, I didn't have to type all that
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.