me ( guitar) my friend (guitar) and another friend (drums) reallly wanna start a band, we've tried before and just couldnt find anyone to be in our band with us. we're all 14/15 and we're all at the same school. all 3 of us are pretty much outcasts (especially me) cos we listen to metal and we go around arguing about how rap and hip hop sucks and stuff.

but yeah. .

what are the best ways to get a bassist and a singer? we would really like them to be the same age as us.

any help appreciated.

thanks,

we've tried asking around, but there isnt anyone to ask!! thats liek the problem

EDIT; people always start the "your music sucks... its all noise" argument, its never us
Last edited by gilmourish at Jul 14, 2008,
Start without them. Get solid just playing songs and instrumentals, covers, etc. and when you've got it down tight, find a singer, etc. That way you guys have developed your skills instead of waiting and you'll be much farther ahead. Plus you'll be able to attract more serious singers/musicians once they see what you've got.
Hang around your local guitar shops. More importantly, actually talk to people. There is always someone to ask.

And don't go around telling people the music they like sucks, that's a guaranteed way to tell people not to take you seriously.
Good music is good music...everything else can go to hell

Gear:
Gibson LP Studio
Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue
Avatar G212H (1xG12H30 1xAlnico Gold)
TS-9 Screamer
Boss Tu-2
Line6 X2-XDS Plus

The Band
Quote by gilmourish
me ( guitar) my friend (guitar) and another friend (drums) reallly wanna start a band, we've tried before and just couldnt find anyone to be in our band with us. we're all 14/15 and we're all at the same school. all 3 of us are pretty much outcasts (especially me) cos we listen to metal and we go around arguing about how rap and hip hop sucks and stuff.

If that's actually why people dislike you, then at you.

Quote by gilmourish
but yeah. .

what are the best ways to get a bassist and a singer? we would really like them to be the same age as us.

any help appreciated.

thanks,

we've tried asking around, but there isnt anyone to ask!! thats liek the problem

Try posting an ad at a local music store. Other than that, try being less socially akward?
Maybe your outcasts because you go around bashing other peoples opinions. Just a thought.

I would start out by just jamming and becoming comfortable with one another's playing styles, discovering strengths and weaknesses. Once you've gotten comfortable with yourselves it will be easier to incorporate a new member into the band.
Quote by apollo66
Hang around your local guitar shops. More importantly, actually talk to people. There is always someone to ask.

And don't go around telling people the music they like sucks, that's a guaranteed way to tell people not to take you seriously.

He's right. Every style of music has it's place, and even if you don't like it, it is no reason to make enemies. I loathe metal, yet hear I am trying to help you start a metal band in your thread.

EDIT: There are also many talented people who are interested in different genres, so maybe there's a chance one of them is open to being in a metal band. Acting elitist about your musical choices is no way to get people interested though.
Last edited by TheProducer at Jul 14, 2008,
TheProducer is right on. But in order to find a bassist/singer your age can be pretty difficult. If you know any other guitarists in school ask him to make the switch, or maybe find a girl that can sing. Usually chicks sing better than guys at 14/15 with the whole puberty thing lol, anyway you gotta be creative if you really want to get a band together. Or go crazy don't have a bassist and one your guitarists use a lot of bass. I was in a band once without on and the rhythm guitarist turned his bass up all the way on his amp. It lacked a little, but still made up for it. As for really getting started it is important to play a few covers first. Get them down so that way you all feel comfortable as musicians. I hope everything works out for you

PEACE
thanks for the people who made decent suggestions and gave awesome ideas.... rock on
Quote by apollo66

+1.
Quote by chipman5544
Or go crazy don't have a bassist and one your guitarists use a lot of bass. I was in a band once without on and the rhythm guitarist turned his bass up all the way on his amp. It lacked a little, but still made up for it. As for really getting started it is important to play a few covers first. Get them down so that way you all feel comfortable as musicians. I hope everything works out for you

TS, don't do this, it may sound fine to you, but to the audience it sounds harsh and shrill, I know this firsthand.
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Last edited by aznrockerdude at Jul 14, 2008,
Just to once again echo everyone elses advice. Don't go around bashing rap and hip hop because you don't like it. Personally I dispise rap/hip hop AND metal, but to each his own. As for finding people for your band you just have to get out there and look, they aren't gonna come and find you if you are sitting on your arse not looking for them. For instance my band is a classic rock style band and the singer used to be bassist in a metal band. So talent is anywhere and everywhere if you are willing to find it.
Gear:
Epiphone SG Standard - Natural Wood Finish + SD Alnico Pro 2 Bridge Pickup
Epiphone Les Paul Standard - Limited Edition Green
Ibanez S470
Blackstar HT-100 Head
Harley Benton 2x12 Vintage 30's
Vox AC4TV
Vox VT15
Quote by aznrockerdude
+1.

TS, don't do this, it may sound fine to you, but to the audience it sounds harsh and shrill, I know this firsthand.

If you want to do this, invest in an octave pedal, like a POG or Micro POG.
you could sell your guitar equipment, and buy a bass rig. and take voice lessons
Quote by aznrockerdude

Harsh and shrill? When I play my bass & mid are maxed with treble around 10 and it gives a great full tone.
Good music is good music...everything else can go to hell

Gear:
Gibson LP Studio
Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue
Avatar G212H (1xG12H30 1xAlnico Gold)
TS-9 Screamer
Boss Tu-2
Line6 X2-XDS Plus

The Band
You could get someone in who may not particularly like metal and and jam and see what happens. You could get a very interesting blend of genres that way that would make you more unique. I would say not to start a band with pre-conceived ideas of exactly what you want to sound like. Just see what happens.
Gear
Epiphone G-400
Orange Tiny Terror
Marshall 1936 2x12 Cabinet
Blackstar HT-Dual
MXR 10-Band EQ
Quote by apollo66
Harsh and shrill? When I play my bass & mid are maxed with treble around 10 and it gives a great full tone.

For blues or rock that might work, but for metal it just sounds like sh!t.
RIP Jasmine You.

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Im 15 and have been in a band for a couple years, have a listen to some old recordings on my profile if you want. But my advice would be try playing with your drummer first, get used to the vibe of playing with another person. Also, go to little gigs with other bands your kind of age, often other people are in the same situation as you even if they are in that band, they might want to come play with you sometimes, just talk to as many musicians as you can!
Quote by sethp
you could sell your guitar equipment, and buy a bass rig. and take voice lessons

Basically what I was gonna say.

You or your buddy should trade the guitar for bass (or split those duties), and the three of you should share the vocals if no one stands out. More band members = more opportunities for fighting in my experience. I traded the guitar for bass when I was your age. My son's a little younger than you, and switches between guitar, bass, and drums in his band. They sound good, and (more importantly) everybody's having fun.

The idea of getting a girl to sing is a good one, too. A great way for outcasts and losers such as yourselves to interact with the opposite sex.

And what's hotter than a hot babe singing Cat Scratch Fever?

Even as a trio, once you start playing, and people hear you, you're more likely to add the members you want.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
^ hes right.... do what you want as long as your enjoying it. No point playing with someone you dont get along with just because he has a bass rig. i was playing with my band a year before we had a bassist, we had as much fun then as we do now, but having the full sound makes everything a bit more awsomer at the end of the day... he/she'll come if you dont do it yourself...
Quote by TheProducer
Start without them. Get solid just playing songs and instrumentals, covers, etc. and when you've got it down tight, find a singer, etc. That way you guys have developed your skills instead of waiting and you'll be much farther ahead. Plus you'll be able to attract more serious singers/musicians once they see what you've got.

Good advice.

Ah I remember in school just starting out jamming,it was fun.You go thru a few people who don't work out until you fing the right ones,actually that never ends.

Be Democratic in picking songs,rehearse,and just jamout for fun to.Sooner or latter get a gig,playing live is a learning experience also.Even if its just a party.Back in the day my band and another would hold keg parties,rent professional lighting and sound,built a stage with scaffling,charge $3 or $4 to get in.We would have over a 1000 people at the parties sometimes,it was better than clubs in a way.Did several bashes like that,those were the days.
get a myspace.
haha.

but really. kinda sorta. not really but you know.

you've just gotta be patient.
if you live in a big city, i'm sure you could post an ad on these forums about.
in the band ads section.
Quote by aznrockerdude

I'd say that'd work for practicing and such before they do get a bassist.
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.
Quote by Fama
I'd say that'd work for practicing and such before they do get a bassist.

I guess...
RIP Jasmine You.

Quote by FaygoBro420
you could try and get an octave pedal and turn the one guitar down an octave or two to sound like a bass, or just u or the ugitarist go out n get one.. they're pretty easy to play if you can play guitar, same idea.

Anyways those are some ideas if you can't find anyone. I doubt you'll be playing shows, so just jham with you guys and get better and in a year or two if it's still fun and your gettin better maybe look for a bassist?
Epiphone Les Paul (Modded with 2 passive pickups and an EMG81)
Yamaha RG guitar w/ Floyd Rose
Rogue Acoustic

BlackHeart BH5 Tube Amp

Danelectro Metal. Digitech Bad Monkey, Digitech CF-7, Crybaby Wah, Danelectro EQ.