me ( guitar) my friend (guitar) and another friend (drums) reallly wanna start a band, we've tried before and just couldnt find anyone to be in our band with us. we're all 14/15 and we're all at the same school. all 3 of us are pretty much outcasts (especially me) cos we listen to metal and we go around arguing about how rap and hip hop sucks and stuff.

but yeah. .

what are the best ways to get a bassist and a singer? we would really like them to be the same age as us.

any help appreciated.

thanks,
You know, you don't require a bassist and a singer to be able to jam. You guys should start jamming and writing songs and stuff and a bassist and a singer will come in time.
And rap and hip hop doesn't suck just because you don't like it. Both styles have their own merits.
I agree with Seryaph, Soulja Boy and Hurrican Chris are not Hip-Gop (per se). Ice-T, Dr. Dre, Run-DMC, LL Cool J, Jay-Z, The Furious Five, are all Hip-Hop.
But I won't get into that now.

Just start playing with your friends (innuendo). And see what happens, and when you come out of puberty more people with stop shunning you and you'll find a singer and bassist if one of you hasn't started singing. And if you're playing metal, a bassist isn't required..

Have fun!
Dorkus.
Quote by gilmourish
and we go around arguing about how rap and hip hop sucks and stuff.

You'll make a lot of friends that way. May I suggest that you accept that some people like different music?

I agree with Seryaph, just start with what you have. If you find a bassist/singer/anything to add onto your band, cool. You can still jam and have fun with what you have now.
Quote by lespaul#1
Indie stands for Industrial I think, like Marilyn Manson.

Ibanez RG2EX2 (Dimarzio Breed in bridge)
Epiphone Les Paul 100
Laney LV300T
Line 6 Toneport GX

The Falling Object Model
step one: dont tell people the music they like sucks. im only 24, but ive been through many musical revolutions in my life and i know like something from every genre, but when i was your age, if someone didnt like punk i didnt like them. so i understand. but people are passionate about their music and they like what they like. if someone would get along with you in every other way but your taste in music and they told you they hated your type of music then its gonna put a rift between you. take the "its not my taste, but if you like music, you like music. to each their own" its a much more mature approach, and they way a musician would act. listening to a bunch of different styles, even ones you dont like will broaden your ability and your view on how music works. all metal bands dont listen to just metal, you cannot be that close minded and think your gonna makes something people want to listen to. if you just regurgitate another metal sound, your nothing special. keep that in mind.

step 2: find a bassist.

one of you could step up to the plate and play bass, thats what i did until we could find a real bassist. or recruit one of your friends and teach him how to follow the rhythm guitar until he gets better and grows into his own shell.

also if your school has a music program, find someone who's into similar music as you and get a bass in their hands. if they learned how to play classical type stuff, music theory shouldnt be too far from understandable to them. they might not know they know it, but give em time. and dont think of them as "band geeks" some are, but some are in it to learn music. i did a year of saxaphone, my rhythm guitarist did 17 years of private violin practice, and the bassist did somehting, not sure what, but something.

your gonna have to humble yourselves if you want to have a band and have people actually come out to watch you guys. if you alienate yourselves from everyone who's gonna come see you play? not tying to sound mean, or tell you what to do. just food for thought. take it or leave it, and with a grain of salt
Quote by Shortcut
I agree with Seryaph, Soulja Boy and Hurrican Chris are not Hip-Gop (per se). Ice-T, Dr. Dre, Run-DMC, LL Cool J, Jay-Z, The Furious Five, are all Hip-Hop.
But I won't get into that now.

Just start playing with your friends (innuendo). And see what happens, and when you come out of puberty more people with stop shunning you and you'll find a singer and bassist if one of you hasn't started singing. And if you're playing metal, a bassist isn't required..

Have fun!

Public Enemy

PPUUBBBLLLICC ENNNNEEMMYYY

(my oath to always make sure that Public Enemy gets mentioned any time metal and rap are mentioned in the same paragraph remains unbroken)
I agree with Nijyo... well he didn't make a point, but I like his style already hahah what a legend..

Nijyo my friend, you are a legend.

Quote by Våd Hamster
Find a dice and assign a number to each girl. Throw the dice.

The number you hope for at the moment you throw the dice, is the one you'll want to keep.
Yea, get stuff down together first, and work on some original songs. Create a name for yourselves, because you won't become outcasts anymore when you guys are playing a function at your school, and everyone in the band comes to see you. The chicks will dig someone who ain't afriad to get up on stage and shred some licks. I was an outcast too, but my band got gigs playing school functions and we played a party. You'll get lots of recognition, and have a real fun time.
Quote by thanksgiving
I agree with Nijyo... well he didn't make a point, but I like his style already hahah what a legend..

Nijyo my friend, you are a legend.

For those who (inexplicably) don't know what I'm talking about:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=NoLkaGcpJFA
The 3 of you should start a band and wait for a bassist and singer to come to you or try finding someone that does either one and listen to them and pretend your doing something else. Then if you find someone or they come to you let them join the band.
A few thoughts on this:
1. DON'T go arguing about a particular genre of music sucks (also, not all hip-hop/rap sucks, there's good stuff if you look hard enough aka outside of radio and mtv). I used to be that way too and it's quite childish. Plus, you never know. There could be some sweet bassist or singer that you don't know about that could take offense on those comments and you'd miss out big time.

2. You could start working on songs and jamming and hopefully, someone will dig what you guys are doing and join you.

3. You could just make it a 3-man band. One of the guitarists could switch to bass and/or try to do vocals. Or if you really wanted to, you could keep it the way it is and be an instrumental band.
one of you could switch to bass, easy. It's just lacking the B and e string.
+++++++++++
Aalakazaam!+
+++++++++++
Quote by chris024
step one: dont tell people the music they like sucks. im only 24, but ive been through many musical revolutions in my life and i know like something from every genre, but when i was your age, if someone didnt like punk i didnt like them. so i understand. but people are passionate about their music and they like what they like. if someone would get along with you in every other way but your taste in music and they told you they hated your type of music then its gonna put a rift between you. take the "its not my taste, but if you like music, you like music. to each their own" its a much more mature approach, and they way a musician would act. listening to a bunch of different styles, even ones you dont like will broaden your ability and your view on how music works. all metal bands dont listen to just metal, you cannot be that close minded and think your gonna makes something people want to listen to. if you just regurgitate another metal sound, your nothing special. keep that in mind.

step 2: find a bassist.

one of you could step up to the plate and play bass, thats what i did until we could find a real bassist. or recruit one of your friends and teach him how to follow the rhythm guitar until he gets better and grows into his own shell.

also if your school has a music program, find someone who's into similar music as you and get a bass in their hands. if they learned how to play classical type stuff, music theory shouldnt be too far from understandable to them. they might not know they know it, but give em time. and dont think of them as "band geeks" some are, but some are in it to learn music. i did a year of saxaphone, my rhythm guitarist did 17 years of private violin practice, and the bassist did somehting, not sure what, but something.

your gonna have to humble yourselves if you want to have a band and have people actually come out to watch you guys. if you alienate yourselves from everyone who's gonna come see you play? not tying to sound mean, or tell you what to do. just food for thought. take it or leave it, and with a grain of salt

This forum needs more posts like this.

I'm in a kind of similar situation to you, though in my case its just two of us looking for a keyboardist drummer and singer, who want to play the same music as us (too many pure metalheads around here, who think that anything down-tempo is pussy****). The best advice I can give you is don't be narrow minded and look for only people with the exact same musical tastes as you.
Quote by telecastrmastr
if this goes in someones signature im gunna be pissed

Quote by jimithrash
what do you mean by goat
And if you're playing metal, a bassist isn't required..

Not True!
What did make master ofpuppets awesome too? cliff burton---> Bassist. Why does almost every band have a bassist.. too fill in empty spaces and to make the sound stronger and thicker.. Well in my opinion metal is about filling in places and making everything stronger and thicker. (mostly is, and yes I'm into metal too so don't come say I suck and that kind of stuff because I was just here to clear up some stuff).