Okay, this is confusing to me, but I think I have a general idea of what I'm doing. However, I think it'd be a wise move on my part to ask people here if I'm right before spending tones of money. So can you tell me if my idea will work?

Basically, I want to be able to record some demo's for my band. I was thinking that I could mic the two guitars each with a condenser mic, vocals with a dynamic mike, and drums with two over-head mics (No idea what type....). Run all of that into a mixer, adjust the levels and what not, then out one speaker. Then just put a USB-Mic infront of the speaker, and record it to audacity.

Will this work, and sound decent enough for a demo? If not, is there another way, on the cheap-ish side?
Guitars:
Epiphone Les Paul Special II [Heavily Modded]
Hand-Built Jem Copy
Rouge RA-100

Amps:
Crate VC-50
Epiphone Studio 10

Pedals:
DigiTech Bad Monkey
MXR 10 Band EQ
Boss Noise Suppressor
Electro-Harmonix Metal Muff w/ Top Boost
Instead of using a USB-mic use a USB interface and a cheap audio cable from the mixer to the PC.

Apart from that sounds OK

Origionaly Posted by CTFOD
Origionaly Posted by hownowbrowncow:
Get a new bicycle
Then you can ride it with no handlebars.

No handlebars.

No handlebars...
i think you would be best to record each instrument by itself into audacity, then mix it there.

also, just for the type of recording you're doing, I would suggest using dynamic mic's like a Shure sm57 for the guitars, and a condenser along with a pop screen for the vocals. the MXL 990 from musician's friend is a pretty decent mic and it's really inexpensive.
Now officially has too much gear to list

PM me if you want to know about my recording setup
sounds like a plan, i guess the quality depends on the mikes, but the plan sounds about right.

usb stuff has less interference, since its digital, so id record to audacity via usb as you said (as opposed to using line in). then again i dont have much experience, just a basic idea.

EDIT: yeah, ive heard good stuff about shure mikes as well. as mentioned above it may be better recording each instrument individually, since from my experience its a hell of a lot easier. but im not exactly a knowledgable chappie in the sound quality department, but my rp's usb to audacity sounds perfecto so i think a mike would too
Last edited by goo94 at Jul 14, 2008,
if you already have a mixer then just use the external speaker output on the amp... then run it through audacity. if you record each instrument separetly it will sound better and you can change effects for each intsrument track in audacity. if you cant play without hearing the music from the other players audacity plays back the audio as you record so its quite a simple and cheap way to record that sounds great.
EQUIPMENT:
Squire P-bass - d'addario EXL230
Fender rumble 15
Epiphone Thunder Bird Reverse IV - Ernie ball super slinky
Vibe V-40b
Jerzey Acoustic bass - d'addario EXL190
KORG AX10B Bass Modeling signal Processor
Russian Big Muff
I second the Marshall MXL 990 for vocals, I have one and it's a really cheap solution and sounds great, it covers a broad range and gives a warm tone for vocals.
ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ

Quote by Xp3ns1v3
I thought it was illegal for women to use the internet.