Page 1 of 5
Will robots ever be able to think like humans?

Surely anything that they can think or do will be programmed by a human so they can never be more intelligent than its creator.

Is this true?
Maybe we should just wait and find out.
Soon you will sit on the bench
of those who deny I have my soul
You sell a dream you create
Condemned by what you condemned before
Smooth are the words you sing down and high
Underground is your joy your laws
Yes, they will eventually make AI.

No, you could program it so that it could think for itself.
Is it still a God Complex if I really am God?

America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between.
Oscar Wilde
have you been watching I, Robot recently?
STEAM: beachhhhhhhh

Quote by cornmancer
Please daddy, just for one hour.
The time will come, young one, when robots will think better than humans, nearly as well as Chuck Norris
Quote by Cobain_Is_King
I got a packet of Love Hearts when I was six and every one said 'You Have a Tiny Penis'

SuperLol'd
If you can programme human like logic then boom, AI. If it can think for itself it can become "more intelligent" than us.
you could program a robot to learn, then since computers can process data so much faster than humans, it would progress at an alarming rate and would become smarter than the creator.
I'm the one who has to die when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life, the way I want to.
-Jimi Hendrix
I don't know.
For me, it boils down to the question whether we have something metaphysical, a.k.a. a soul, or not. Basically, it's the question whether there is a god (yep, that's the one who supplies the souls) or not. I have no clue.

From an atheist's point of view, we are nothing but biological 'machines', all our thinking is generated through chemical reactions resulting in electric impulses yadda yadda yadda...
I don't see why it shouldn't be possible to create a robot-equivalent to this.
If they process emotions, they'd be faking it. Robots have no senses, only intelligence. Therefore, no remorse, therefore, deleting inferior data, which would result in the mass murder of humans. So no, to risky. Unless we all became androids. Then you could never have sex ever again.

But we're all in the matrix anyway so who cares
Team Orange

Quote by Ehh
You calling your parents assholes because they wouldn't buy you a phone with a camera? Maybe you deserve to have picks on your nips.
Quote by michal23
They will never be able to think, just make calculations. They are machines!

So are we. Just biological ones.

America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between.
Oscar Wilde
Quote by cash49
Will robots ever be able to think like humans?

Surely anything that they can think or do will be programmed by a human so they can never be more intelligent than its creator.

Is this true?

robots cannot think; they can only carry out functions.

if you read up on the extremely complex science of the human mind, even though scientists do not know a lot about the way the brain works, you would come to the conclusion that machines will never be able to "think" like humans. and first we have to be smart enough to figure out the technology to come anywhere near a human replica.
Quote by mh.666
This man is right.

My life in all aspects is going fucking brilliantly, so I just thought I'd offer a cyncial scrap of wisdom, gloat a little, and then leave.
Only when a robot can pass the Turing test can we sufficiently say they have human-like "intelligence".
In an interstellar burst! I am back to save the universe...
Quote by Meths
So are we. Just biological ones.

Exactly. We have something called a brain, which I firmly believe will be impossible to recreate. Of course we could attach one to a robot, but IMO that doesn't count
Quote by michal23
Exactly. We have something called a brain, which I firmly believe will be impossible to recreate. Of course we could attach one to a robot, but IMO that doesn't count
Everything yoour brain "decides" is just a bunch of chemical reactions aided by enzymes, what makes you think we can't create equivalent computer code?
Quote by freedoms_stain
Everything yoour brain "decides" is just a bunch of chemical reactions aided by enzymes, what makes you think we can't create equivalent computer code?

It would be impossible to represent every chemical reaction under every circumstance with 0's and 1's. The whole infinite problem.
Quote by michal23
Exactly. We have something called a brain, which I firmly believe will be impossible to recreate.

But where's the difference between a brain and a machine? That it is biological doesn't mean anything, it's just a type of construction. Why should it not be possible to create somthing similar in function from batteries and computer chips?

That it can reproduce is not of importance, as you can theoretically construct machines that reproduce (no matter if it's possible by now, it can be made possible without a doubt), anyway I don't think this has to do anything with the ts' question.

Not trying to pick a fight, just trying to keep the discussion going.
Quote by BlueHorseDemon
It would be impossible to represent every chemical reaction under every circumstance with 0's and 1's. The whole infinite problem.
Why? Is it impossible to code an entire organism with just 4 letters? No.
Quote by BlueHorseDemon

If it is ONLY a chemical reaction it can be measured and laws of it's functioning can be estimated, in a mathematical form. Hence, it can be calculated by an artificial intelligence.
Quote by michal23

You believe incorrectly. There is no reason to believe that it will ever be impossible to make an inorganic equivalent of a brain.

Oscar Wilde
Quote by cash49
I don't know about that. In some ways they are. Computers are superior to us in propositional and systematic logic. I think computers are almost perfect when it comes to logical thinking.
Quote by The Madcap
I don't know about that. In some ways they are. Computers are superior to us in propositional and systematic logic. I think computers are almost perfect when it comes to logical thinking.

Computers don't have any logic, they just process zeros and ones.
wtf, did "the pit" all a sudden get really intelligent lol

lol edit^^ har
Last edited by Zikes at Jul 14, 2008,
Quote by Zikes
wtf, did "the pit" all a sudden get really Intelligence lol

Evidently not.

Oscar Wilde
I agree with the quailman.

It all boils down to the question of whether there is a god or not. If there really is a god, then he does something to us humans in order to make us understand (subconciously, if anything) emotions. He can't do the same to robots because he didn't create them, we did.

If the truth is that there is no god and that us humans are just biological machines, then robots could understand "emotion".

you say scientists can't understand emotion? that's only because the brain is a DEVICE that is way to complex for them to understand.

If there is no god and my second argument is the valid one, then we can safely say that
the brain is simply a biological, much more complex version of the hard drive processor thingy that you put in a robot in order to make it function.

so all we need to do, is just work on the hard drive processor thingy for a long long long long time, and make it as complex as the human brain (we can't make it any more complex because our minds arent able to understand that level of complexity).
Epiphone: Les paul Custom SB
Line Six Spider III 15
70$ wal-mart brand acoustic

Quote by black amendment
You're awesome, dude.
Quote by Meths
Yes, they will eventually make AI.

No, you could program it so that it could think for itself.

Yeah but what will it think about? It still can only think about stuff that we have programmed it for.
it is impossible to make AI just like humans, because you cant just bring everything down to 1's and 0's. Not only would the computer have to deal with our intelligence, but it would also have to deal with our emotional intelligence, artistic intelligence, sympathy and intuition and other shat like that.
Quote by AtThisVelocity
Your crying like a baby to the pit....You have pretty much ruined it for yourself.
hm...idk to be honest

Without knowing exactly how the brain works, which I dont think anyone on this earth does.
Quote by tsoyguitar
I agree with the quailman.

It all boils down to the question of whether there is a god or not. If there really is a god, then he does something to us humans in order to make us understand (subconciously, if anything) emotions. He can't do the same to robots because he didn't create them, we did.

If the truth is that there is no god and that us humans are just biological machines, then robots could understand "emotion".

you say scientists can't understand emotion? that's only because the brain is a DEVICE that is way to complex for them to understand.

If there is no god and my second argument is the valid one, then we can safely say that
the brain is simply a biological, much more complex version of the hard drive processor thingy that you put in a robot in order to make it function.

so all we need to do, is just work on the hard drive processor thingy for a long long long long time, and make it as complex as the human brain (we can't make it any more complex because our minds arent able to understand that level of complexity).

I agree with this guy.

And the reason why I think that it would be impossible to recreate the brain is simply because I like to see myself as a little bit more than a machine...

Ultimately, I think there is something special in the fact that we can feel emotions, ask these sort of questions that I think robots simply wouldn't be able to do. We'll just have to wait and see.
Quote by Zikes
wtf, did "the pit" all a sudden get really Intelligence lol

Quote by Meths
Evidently not.

“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.”

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
and in order for someone to basically recreate a human brain and all of its capabillities it must mean that that said person understands the brain completely and should be able to tell reactions before they happen
Quote by AtThisVelocity
Your crying like a baby to the pit....You have pretty much ruined it for yourself.
It's certainly possible to create something with the intelligence of humans, or even further than that.

What we don't know, is if it's possible to create something that has human emotion.

And if robots are more intelligent than us and have no feelings towards us. Then it's quite likely that we will be considered inferior and eventually destroyed if we're of no use.
I love doomsday prophecies
Quote by Nilpferdkoenig
Yeah but what will it think about? It still can only think about stuff that we have programmed it for.

We could programm it to learn and be empirical, so it could gather information instead of relying only on what we gave it in the first place.

EDIT:
Quote by michal23
And the reason why I think that it would be impossible to recreate the brain is simply because I like to see myself as a little bit more than a machine...

I hope so too, but I have no proof for this thought.
Last edited by TheQuailman at Jul 14, 2008,
Time will tell, boys. Time will tell.

/thread.
Epiphone: Les paul Custom SB
Line Six Spider III 15
70$ wal-mart brand acoustic

Quote by black amendment
You're awesome, dude.
I recently heard this new theory that the brain is in fact showing us the future; what I mean is, because the signal of what we see, hear, feel etc. reaches our brain 1/100th (or something really small like that) of a second late, the brain is in fact constantly predicting what is happening.

Why I'm telling you this is because I reckon it's gonna take a hell of a lot of time before robots can do this.
^There are literally thousands if not millions of programs that are designed to predict the future. The brain builds up a complex model of the world and is constantly updating itself with new information and improving its ability to predict what happens next.

You may be referring to some guy who claims that one day we'll be able to sum up how the brain works with a few equations. I forget exactly but I think I read the same article (or about the same topic) as you did. It's a specific model this guy's made of how he thinks the brain works. It looked pretty good to me. It also made me think that AI was definitely possible.

Quote by Nilpferdkoenig

Whatever it wants to? What if you didn't program it in the conventional sense and instead let it develop and learn by itself?

Quote by byakuya08
it is impossible to make AI just like humans, because you cant just bring everything down to 1's and 0's. Not only would the computer have to deal with our intelligence, but it would also have to deal with our emotional intelligence, artistic intelligence, sympathy and intuition and other shat like that.

Yes, you can.

Quote by michal23

I rather suspect that your opinions have no effect on whether or not it is possible.

Quote by byakuya08
and in order for someone to basically recreate a human brain and all of its capabillities it must mean that that said person understands the brain completely and should be able to tell reactions before they happen

No, it doesn't. Humans are not born sapient, the brain develops itself. If you just made a robot capable of doing so, you would have made an inorganic equivalent of a brain.

Oscar Wilde
Last edited by Meths at Jul 14, 2008,
Quote by Meths

I rather suspect that your opinions have no effect on whether or not it is possible.

I know, I just thought it would be nice and friendly to justify my opinions
Trained, I see imperfection in your race
Lying in wait, blind I suffer, knowing I'll never reach your heaven...
is unatainable.
Please, teach me how to dream
I long to be more than a machine
Page 1 of 5