Right, im getting one of the two in the next month or so.
The problem being im not too sure which one i should get.
Guitar Rig is cheaper, which is an obvious ++

I mean could I get, for example, GR3, and then download the software for GTR but use the hardware from GTR or whatever?

The tones I like/am after are, for rhythm: Newer Dream Theater, and I really like the tone on the new Turisas album. For lead tones, I really like Surfing with the Alien era Satriani, and Brian May's solo tone.

I think thats all that needs to be said,
Cheers
guitar rig is way better imo , it also comes with presets for joe satriani and brian may, once u do get one them u should use this site for loads of user created presets theres also a great forum for any technical issues uve got with the program

http://www.guitarampmodeling.com/

ps it might also be worth considering getting amplitube another great amp modelling piece of software.
Would I be able to use ANY guitar modelling program once i got an interface to connect my guitar up to my laptop?

And cheers, ill check it out
i would think so, i use a jack converter (guitar lead input to headphone size output) to plug my guitar into the line in input on the stock soundcard in my PC and i can run gtr3 guitar rig and amplitube. im not sure whether the official guitar rig kontrol footswitch is compatible with any other software other than guitar rig.

hope this helps
Cheers, I'd assume so, by the sounds of things, as long as you have a guitar hooked up it can do whatever.

So i guess these programs take the input sound and then distort it or whatnot?
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Amplitube 2 is your friend.

I'll check it out as well, I guess i could always buy the hardware i like the look of the most and then demo all the different software?
Guitar Rig 3 > Amplitube 2. I've used both and for the past month have been only been using GR3 for all my sounds, also I prefer the interface of GR3 over AT2. You can do pretty much anything in it.
Quote by 666_Pounder
Guitar Rig 3 > Amplitube 2. I've used both and for the past month have been only been using GR3 for all my sounds, also I prefer the interface of GR3 over AT2. You can do pretty much anything in it.

Guitar Rig sounds like my Toneport.

Amplitube actually sounds like an amp.
I tried out guitar rig in my local store, it was pretty good.
Quote by thrilla13w
The hotbar should be floating parallel to the principle axis at this point. Next, take a hammer, and beat yourself in the face while crying JIHAD. problem fixed.

Quote by Slaytanic1993
cowdude speaks words of infinite wisdomery.
If i get the Guitar Rig Kontrol edition, would i, if i didnt like guitar rig's sounds, install the Amplitube software, and use that through the Guitar Rig output thingy?

Cheers
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Guitar Rig sounds like my Toneport.

Amplitube actually sounds like an amp.

i can't stand the noise gate on amplitube... is there a way to stop it shutting off the sound too soon? the threshold knob seems to do **** all and it just cuts off my tone... is this just an issue with the trial, or is it really that ****? how do i turn it off?
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Amplitube sounds like my Toneport.

Guitar Rig actually sounds like an amp.

Fix'd your post for you.

And yes, I have tried GR3 and Amplitube 2 AND I have a Toneport (with GearBox) and GR3 was far superior.

Sounded better, had better noise reduction, much easier interface, easier to use in conjunction with Ableton Live etc

Anyway, you can make GR3 sound even better by using custom impulses instead of the cab emulations.

Quote by Fraserwatt
Also, just out of interest, but does GR3 have a harmoniser?

Yep.
Quote by 666_Pounder

Word to that man. My welcome to bucketheadland cover in mah profile was recorded with GR3. Delicious sounds. But the presets aren't any good, like all modelling programs. It can achieve satch, DT and may though.
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
Mesa Boogie 2ch Triple Rectifier
2 1x12 custom Theile cabs
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
Quote by UncleCthulhu
Anyway, you can make GR3 sound even better by using custom impulses instead of the cab emulations.

what are custom impulses?
Quote by Fraserwatt
what are custom impulses?

Agreed.
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
Mesa Boogie 2ch Triple Rectifier
2 1x12 custom Theile cabs
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
I've been using IMPULSE RESPONSES for a while now - amazing what they can do for GR 3 and Amplitube. This site will help you learn about them (there's a forum section about Impulses) and loads of them to test out too - you will have to use a DAW and load your Sim (GR 3, AT 2, whatever) - then load your IMPULSE:

http://www.guitarampmodeling.com/index.php

You must register and join to be able to download. It will simply AMAZE you how much better it can get!
Now running an Eleven Rack with Pro Tools 10.3.3 - it's amazing and I'm having ball with it - worth every penny. PT 10 is tops IMO and the Eleven Rack is a work of art!