Well, I just got a Peavey VK 212 today and its awesome. But I got a few questions about it, since its my first tube amp. Do I have to have the standby switch flicked up, which is On, then turn on the power, all before I start playing? And do I have to turn off the main power first, then leave standby on for a minute or 2 when I stop playing? And also, what is the impedance select switch on the back do? It has 4, 8, or 16 as options.

Thanks in advance.
Quote by rancidryan
Do they come with heroin because I heard thats the only reason Dave Mustaine used them

"The power of the riff compels me"
Bury Me In Smoke
You put ANY tube amps ON switch on first. than you put on the standby. and when you turn your amp off, turn the standby off, and than the on switch.

dont worry about impendence unless your using any cabs.
When you turn on your amp first make sure the standby switch is In the of postition to let the amp warm up then flick the switch to on an start rocking!
My Setup:

Tokai LP Copy (Korean)
Peavey Classic 30
Ibanez TS-9 Tubescreamer
EHX USA Big Muff Pi
Aria 12-String Acoustic Guitar
first of all...NEVER EVER put both switches up at once...first the power one(the right one) and then the standby one(the left one). leave the first switch up for 5-10 minutes then switch the second one.
1. You're surfing the internet.
2. You're browsing through the UG forums.
3. You're reading now.
5. You didn't notice that there was no #4.
6. You just checked it.
7. Now you're having a lil smile.

Quote by hawk_kst
You Sir, have the best signature like ever!
Quote by DillusionSystem
You put ANY tube amps ON switch on first. than you put on the standby. and when you turn your amp off, turn the standby off, and than the on switch.

dont worry about impendence unless your using any cabs.

Is there a period of time I have to wait when turning it off?
Quote by rancidryan
Do they come with heroin because I heard thats the only reason Dave Mustaine used them

"The power of the riff compels me"
Bury Me In Smoke
No. Not really. Just do the same thing in reverse. I think 5-10 minutes on start up is a bit extreme. 1 or 2 minutes should be more than enough. You will find lots of varying answers on this tho. For the most part it will work no matter what you do but the end goal is to prolong the life of the tubes so wait as long as you feel comfortable.