All right, I'm saving for a strat. Question is, are Mexican Strats that good? There was this $370 (about) one but never checked where it was made. American Strats I hear are much better but are higher priced.

Well, are there American Strats I can get for $500-?
Gear:

Guitars:
Takamine Gs330S
Fender Standard Stratocaster
Ibanez RG3EXQM1
Epiphone SG G-310

Amps:
Crate Palomino V16

Pedals
Ibanez TS9DX
Line 6 Tonecore Uber Metal
The Mexi Strats are quite good, don't worry.

There are no American ones for $500ish. Maybe used, if you're lucky.
i have a mexican strat and it is a great guitar

American strats are just more expensive but they are basically the same
Gear

Guitars - Fender Deluxe Player Strat, Squier Affinity Strat, Ibanez TCM - 50

Amps - Fender Blues Deluxe

Effects - Boss ME-50

Other - Banjo

Jazz Is not music, Its a way of life
Quote by TheProducer
The Mexi Strats are quite good, don't worry.

There are no American ones for $500ish. Maybe used, if you're lucky.

^yeah, what he said.

Depending on where you live Guitar Center has them on sale this month for $347 for a SSS version and $399 for HSS. MIM Strat is.

You do need to play them first if you can to make sure it 'feels' right vs. trying to buy over the inturdnet. And here is handy chart I post a lot that gives you some detail on the differneces.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/document?doc_id=101934
I've never seen an MIA for less than 600, but the Mexicans are actually very good guitars. Depending on your string gague you may find it hard to stay in tune while using the trem, but other than that they are solid. The single coils sound good, but i cannot comment on the humbucker in the fat strat, as i havent tried it.
Quote by Dr.Jazz

I wouldn't quite go as far as to say that but the MIM Strats are a great value none the less.
I don't know about the lower end Mexican strats, but I have the Buddy Guy signature strat, which is one of the higher end Mexican strats, and it is a great guitar.
Quote by Dr.Jazz

Well, that's not exactly true. There are quite a few differences. The Americans have:

-no more than a 2-piece alder body
-22 instead of 21 frets
-better pickups
-hand sanded neck edges for a smoother feeling
-slightly different bridges
-staggered tuners
-overall better build quality/consistency

And I'm sure some other things that I've forgotten.
Quote by hawk5211
I've never seen an MIA for less than 600, but the Mexicans are actually very good guitars. Depending on your string gague you may find it hard to stay in tune while using the trem, but other than that they are solid. The single coils sound good, but i cannot comment on the humbucker in the fat strat, as i havent tried it.

The humbucker in the MIM HSS does leave something to be desired but it also depends on the amp being used. I swapped my HB for a Seymour Duncan but only after upgrading my amp first.

Tuning wise, I don't see any issues... at least not with mine. It is a vintage non-locking 'floating' bridge and I couldn't be happier with mine.
All right, but just another question, not that it matters too much, but are there any big bands or famous musicians that use MiM Strats? Or do they use American Strats?
Gear:

Guitars:
Takamine Gs330S
Ibanez RG3EXQM1
Epiphone SG G-310

Amps:
Crate Palomino V16

Pedals
Ibanez TS9DX
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
The humbucker in the MIM HSS does leave something to be desired but it also depends on the amp being used. I swapped my HB for a Seymour Duncan but only after upgrading my amp first.

No kidding. Mine was built crooked and the 2 of the poles have fallen in.

Tuning wise, I don't see any issues... at least not with mine. It is a vintage non-locking 'floating' bridge and I couldn't be happier with mine.

+1

No issues here.
Japanese Strat? I dont know how much they cost used, you can get highway 1 strat used for pretty cheap though.
Edit: I have seen classic 50's players go around 500 used.
Last edited by cfhwarhead at Jul 14, 2008,
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
^yeah, what he said.

Depending on where you live Guitar Center has them on sale this month for $347 for a SSS version and $399 for HSS. MIM Strat is.

You do need to play them first if you can to make sure it 'feels' right vs. trying to buy over the inturdnet. And here is handy chart I post a lot that gives you some detail on the differneces.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/document?doc_id=101934

Cool, I didn't know MF did that kind of thing. Deluxe Player's look pretty pimp.
most will use MIA's because they can afford to and they are better quality.

some people, and I may be one of them, actually prefer the feel and action of the MIM better.

I do know there are a few artists that use MIM strats but I can't remember who they are off top of my head. I was going to say one of the guys from P.O.D but I'll have to check before I put my foot in my mouth.
Well, think of it this way. Sure, an MIA may be worth the extra money assuming you want a guitar that sounds at plays as a stock MIA does. But for some people, buying an MIM and hand choosing the pickups, hardware, etc. to upgrade will make more sense since they can choose their sound more so than spending the extra $$$ on an MIA.
the grade of the wood used in the USA models is higher quality along with craftsmanship. the newer models use thinner paint (nitro?), and have a few comfy refinements. If you want great tone out tof the box go with one of the USA models...signature or standard. If you want to experiment with your own personal tone, you can't go wrong with a MIM model. It's pretty cost efficient to purchase only the upgrades you want and install them yourself.
It's so crazy in here you're gonna wish it wasn't so crazy in here!

1995 PRS CE
Fender 50s Classic Player strat
Johnson Millenium 150
Boss GT-6
Quote by Cleared
the grade of the wood used in the USA models is higher quality along with craftsmanship. the newer models use thinner paint (nitro?), and have a few comfy refinements. If you want great tone out tof the box go with one of the USA models...signature or standard. If you want to experiment with your own personal tone, you can't go wrong with a MIM model. It's pretty cost efficient to purchase only the upgrades you want and install them yourself.

They're all actually poly from what I read, save the Highway One.
Quote by Dr.Jazz

I disagree,play a Eric Johnson model,or a Deluxe,or a American strat special with Floyd Rose then play a Mexican and you'll feel and hear a difference typically.

But the Mexicans are pretty good all in all.
Quote by nightraven
mexican strats are just strats assembled in mexico where it's cheaper to employ people. most of the parts are american made anyway. for the money, mexican strats are superb. the stock pickups on a mexican standard might be lacking but they can be switched out easily to something better.

yeah they look pretty cool, i dislike the noiseless pickups they've got on them though.

the mega famous musicians wouldn't need to use mexican strats because they can easily afford an american. mexican is just slightly watered down compared to american.
look at this post:

personally i wouldn't need to pay the hundreds extra just to get these bonuses, the only one on that list i'd feel very important is the neck (which can be switched out of a mexican strat and replaced by mia anyway). and afaik most american strats have two-point trems, some mexican strats have that as well (my classic player 60s). however i'm not 100% on that so somebody can prove me wrong.

Ok ok.. I might just get better pickups then. That'd work. Thanks!
Gear:

Guitars:
Takamine Gs330S
Ibanez RG3EXQM1
Epiphone SG G-310

Amps:
Crate Palomino V16

Pedals
Ibanez TS9DX