spray glue: $10
high current 4-conductor speakon panel connector: $4.50
3" castors: $13
four 4" port tubes: $7
13 gauge pro audio speaker cable: $15
Eminence horn customized for GK: $65
18" handicap grab bar: $26
------------
$483, definitely not at wholesale prices. wholesale, I bet that's about $300 worth of stuff. A single person who knows what they're doing could build a cab in maybe 6 hours.

Now, assuming wholesale buying, and mass production... why in the hell is this thing supposed to be $1,429??? Yeah you can get it for $999, but based on my shopping list, that $1,429 number is kinda crazy.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/GallienKrueger-Neo-412-4x12-Bass-Cabinet?sku=601072
i see where your going with it
but a lot of the time your paying for a better tone as the peopel building and developing have a better knowledge
get a mate to build one if he knows what hes doing
a friend of mine built an all valve amp himself

amazing it was
Equipment

GUITARS
Jackson RX10D
Ibanez GAX30
Ninja Strat Copy

AMPS
Laney LX120Twin Extreme
Fender Frontman 15W

Effects
Boss ME-20 Multi Effects Board
Because those chinese&americans wants to make Huuuuuuuuuuuge profit !
Squier Standard Telecaster.
Random Ibanez GIO superstrat
Takamine EG440C Maple Blue

Line 6 Spider III 30 w
Blackheart Killer Ant
Blackheart Little Giant

Line 6 Pod X3 Live
Line 6 Toneport UX-2
The company has to pay to develop the item, then has to pay for resources, then has to pay employees (employing people isn't cheap, especially if you want the best techs and craftsman to build the stuff) to build it and then has to make a profit on top.

It also depends on quality of the components, better components = more money.
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
A lot of the cost you pay when buying any product is assembly and work put into it, plus quality control and support that you will not get when doing it yourself. Building it yourself will save you a lot of money if you know what you are doing, but that is the problem I guess.
Cause it's a lot more than the material and supplies to BUILD a cabinet. Also, for the name brand.
Quote by breakdown123
Is there such a thing as a heavy riff with out chugging on the e string?
You forgot to tack on the money you need to put "Gallien-Krueger" on it. Seriously, that is what it is. Pretty much all big corporations do this.

Big corporations are assholes. They want to make money, so they charge as much as they can. Plus really IMO "list prices" do very little as far as gear goes. It just is a number given so people can say you're getting a better deal. Like MF says your saving 30%, but where do they sell the cabinet for the list price?

EDIT: There are also things you GET with that price. Warranty, for example.
Heads are usually the kicker, cabinets are only like.....$700 sometimes, good ones too.
Small corps want to make money to. If they didn't, they simply would not have a business, but yeah. There's tons of brands that make guitars better and cheaper than Fender copies, but since they are not a Fender, they just don't have the value.
Quote by breakdown123
Is there such a thing as a heavy riff with out chugging on the e string?
Quote by IndianRockStar
EDIT: There are also things you GET with that price. Warranty, for example.

They don't cover the drivers do they? That's about the only thing worth covering.
You've got to remember everyone in this scenario is trying to make money. If Gallien Kruger gets the parts for $400, they still have to pay for labour to put it all together. Labour is expensive. Now that Gallien has all the materials put together in a cab, that cost to them is even higher, and they sell it for more than they paid, obviously. Now MusiciansFriend (or guitar centre or whoever owns who) buys that cab and they pay x amount of dollars for it. Now, Musicians friend has costs too you need to remember. A website that big and a business that big takes a lot of manpower to run. So MF needs to cover the cost of shipping a lot of stock, having that cabinet on the site and in the warehouse, plus make money on the money they spent buying from GK. So they sell it to you for an even higher price to cover all those costs.

You need to understand that there is a lot of costs to cover to run a business and everyone needs to make money. You don't sell your lemonade for the same price as the lemons, sugar and cups, you sell it for more to make a PROFIT. Just as they people who sell you all those raw goods don't sell them to you for the price it cost them to collect and make them.
I don't buy the "have to cover shipping" argument because they charge an extra $70 to ship it. And yeah I understand there's markup, but boxes are just so simple, and they're mass producing them. I know what it takes to build cabinets, and because of that I'm just surprised that the markup is that high.

Guitars, sure... to make a nice guitar you're looking a 40-150 hours for a highly skilled person to make it, either that or some very expensive machines. A cabinet? You don't even have to be that smart or do it all the time and a really complex one would take maybe 6.

I guess more than anything I'm just surprised that so many people are willing to whip out the big bucks for them.

Probably the biggest difference is the drivers though... I lucked out on my drivers, got them way cheap. I am probably not considering the fact that Eminence neo's usually aren't anywhere near that cheap. If I thought about it, it's probably not nearly as bad as I'm thinking if you paid what you're supposed to for thise Eminence's. I bet some places charge like $700 just for those speakers. That's probably where my big savings are coming in.
Last edited by corndogggy at Jul 14, 2008,
You still have a worker or machine (which probably takes as much money to keep running smoothly) working on it and that's expensive. Also, businesses aren't just about the goods sold. There's also advertising, customer service personnel, that kind of thing.

I would bet when you factor all of those things in with markups for profit you'll get close to your $999 mark. Anything that's left over goes in the "because they can" category. Who else is going to do it? You? Me? I doubt it. They charge so much because they do something most people don't want to do themselves and that is a valuable thing.
Bales is correct and if you want a good explanation of this (which is way too long for a post..) see: http://msucares.com/business_assistance/homebusiness/q2.html. The link lays it out all beautifully. This is why direct from manufacturer is somewhat cheaper (think Carvin or Avatar) because you are eliminating the middle man's or authorized seller's cost of doing business plus their profit margin.
This is the same for many products in the world.
For example Primark stores in the U.K. If they can charge One Pound for a new article of clothing just think about how little they must've paid the people in the sweatshops who made them.

Stuff like this sickens me.

On a lighter note... Why don't you make your own cabinets if you feel confident enough? That way you can customise it so it is perfect for you and you will love it more in the end because you spent the time and effort to build it yourself.
Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Warwick Corvette $$
Rockbass Streamer Fretless
Hartke HA5000
SWR Triad

Quote by Victory2134
I happen to enjoy every mankiss from shinhoman.
a person that knows what theyre doing can make one cheap and fast. but you gotta consider that alotta factory cabinets are higher quality and made for their tone and what not. plus if a person made a cabinet would it really sound as good?
Quote by shinhoman
This is the same for many products in the world.
For example Primark stores in the U.K. If they can charge One Pound for a new article of clothing just think about how little they must've paid the people in the sweatshops who made them.

Stuff like this sickens me.

Others making money sickens you? You must be some kind of COMMUNIST. A GREEDY COMMUNIST.
dude check out Avatar cabs it'll cost you maybe 50 bucks more and you'll get people who know how to assemble a cab to do it or you can buy the cab w/ electronics but no speakers for 200-300 (but if your quick there is one on clearance right now for just about 200 (shipping included)
"Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo."
I paid $40 dollars for my cabs shipping only to watch a fedex man throw it out of his truck.

Basses are the same way, music stores buy them and jack the price up, even internet retailers. Its how things work, we don't have to like it but I don't think its going to change.
Quote by salemboicot
wait, where does this gut live? Cos i have compared prices in other countries, an man, in australia, we get RIPPED

Yeah. Australia is one of the worst apparently and Britain is pretty bad off too. I think, although I'm not sure, that it's a lot to do with import stuff. Levies and taxes and tariffs and the like.
Quote by jimmygoff
a person that knows what theyre doing can make one cheap and fast. but you gotta consider that alotta factory cabinets are higher quality and made for their tone and what not. plus if a person made a cabinet would it really sound as good?

Why is it higher quality? Because they use 11 ply Baltic birch instead of MDF? I'm using 13 ply Baltic. Otherwise, it's a matter of properly bracing and proper dimensions. It's not rocket science.

The only thing I don't like about me doing it is that the joints are alot harder to do if you make rabbet joints. I'm not sure it matters all that much if you use corner braces like I plan to do, as you get about the same effect except even bigger surface area, but yeah a mass producing shop could design and build joints much easier. It's not THAT hard, it's just a router job, but it's more effort for design.

I just don't buy the "made for tone". It's either braced and firm, or it isn't. Otherwise it's just a matter of getting the proper air space for the drivers, and getting the proper port size. A factory made properly braced 26x40x17 cabinet with two 4"x2.5" ports made out of 11 ply baltic birch just isn't going to sound far superior to a homemade properly braced 26x40x17 cabinet with two 4"x2.5" ports made out of 13 ply baltic birch.
Last edited by corndogggy at Jul 15, 2008,
Those avatar's actually look like great deals. Only problem is that I can't bi-amp them with my GK head. But, you could rewire them easily I imagine.
Quote by shinhoman
On a lighter note... Why don't you make your own cabinets if you feel confident enough? That way you can customise it so it is perfect for you and you will love it more in the end because you spent the time and effort to build it yourself.

Guess I didn't make it obvious enough... that's what I'm doing. The things I previously mentioned are things that I've already got ordered. I used to be big into car audio, making enclosures is fun. I've had cars of mine make it to nationals, be in a magazine, win trophies, beat systems costing 5 times as much as mine... it's just fun.

Coolest thing I ever made was a triple chambered 4th order bandpass box. It fired through the rear deck off the glass and didn't rattle at all. The inside of the box was lined with mirrored plexiglass on all sides. The back of the box had a half inch plexiglass panel and I had a carpeted panel with a Chevy symbol cutout that had a blue vinyl insert in it. Opening the trunk turned on blue neon lights inside the box. You could pull out the Chevy symbol and look inside, and it looked like there were TWELVE 12" subs sitting there, due to the mirrors, but it was only two.

My trunk lid was motorized because it had eq's hanging from it. Amp rack was motorized too, amps had hidden wires and were installed on mirrors so they appeared to float. Four tweets in the AC ducts, 5" center channel in the dash, 6.5" midbass in the kick panels, 8" midbass in the quarter panels, 4" in the dash, 5.25" in the doors, 4" components in the rear 6x9 holes...

I had a blast making that thing, plus I had bragging rights because I built it myself, when everybody else could only write a check or show up with a turd. Just trying to relive some of that I suppose.
sick, i want to do this, if only i wasnt an idiot, i opened up my stereo yesterday (broken) despite five warnings not to do so on the back....and then realized i dont know **** about electronics except what i learned in automotive tech class (next to nothing) stereo is still broken, maybe more broken than before

if only i wasnt an idiot
BE HAPPY

Quote by ajmasterjaydude
so this kid at my school microwaved brussel sprouts for lunch, and when he was about to eat them one of them exploded on his face and burned him. i like turtles

in a thread about malmsteen^
Quote by mosh_face
sick, i want to do this, if only i wasnt an idiot, i opened up my stereo yesterday (broken) despite five warnings not to do so on the back....and then realized i dont know **** about electronics except what i learned in automotive tech class (next to nothing) stereo is still broken, maybe more broken than before

if only i wasnt an idiot

Don't feel bad... I have a degree in electrical engineering, and I would do the exact same thing. You don't have to know hardly jack about electronics to build a cab though.
haha didnt know about your degree that makes me feel a bit better

im tempted to try building a GK style cab, cus im kinda rich, but still a scrooge (thats how you stay rich) and then i can buy a GK head and save money perhaps
BE HAPPY

Quote by ajmasterjaydude
so this kid at my school microwaved brussel sprouts for lunch, and when he was about to eat them one of them exploded on his face and burned him. i like turtles

in a thread about malmsteen^
Ok, I just found out why they cost so much. There's a crapload of details you don't think about. I'm going to have about 20 hours in build time on this thing. That's not counting the time that it took me trying to figure everything out from scratch. I'll have a good 30 hours total in it. I'll save $400 from that GK cabinet. I don't think the quality is an issue, mine's turning out great, but it takes forever. It's alot harder than throwing together some MDF and setting it in your trunk for car audio.