http://www.warwickbass.com/basses/vampyre_darklord.htm

This bass is possibly the most evil bass I've ever seen. I don't have plans on getting another bass for years. Warwick is the Gibson of basses, lowest price..... $1,000. But just a quick question, are there any good quality, affordable basses that are made for lower than standard tunings?
ESP comes to mind. Or any instrument with a 35" scale. But most instruments can do low tunings with a nice setup.

Also with Warwick, you don't pay for the name as much as you do with Gibson. You still do, but there's not many Warwick copies out there, like there are Gibson.
I have an LTD B-55 right now, I'm looking for a bass I can have 5 strings and use F-C-G-C-F tuning
Like I stated before, I have my bass now in C-G-C-F-G, I want another I can have in F-C-G-C-F.
Are you talking the F as in the F a third below B or a half step above E? I can only assume you mean lower. At any rate there are no basses "built" for a low tuning. Other than maybe having a longer scale, in which case you will want to check out Dingwall. They're a pretty small company, but they have this neat thing where they fan the nut, frets and bridge. The bridge is fanned back in such a way that the G is a 34" scale and then it goes back for each lower string. They do the same with the nut, so the low B string is at some crazy length like 40" (I can't remember the exact number but it was either 40 or high high 30s) With that you'll have quite a bit of tension for your low F string.
By built I mean like..... the pickups responding well with that low tuning and not just sounding like sh*t
Quote by Slay 'Em
I have a HA2500, Hartke 250 watts.

What speakers do you have? 10s? If so, you may want to think about a bigger cab. From what I've seen, 12s and 15s have roughly the same response, but different voicings, and 18s go deeper than either of them.

Of course, there's always this

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Accugroove-Whappo-Grande-Bass-Cabinet?sku=480886
Anything with a scale longer than 34 inches should be suitable.
Try a Schecter Stiletto. (the 5 and 6 strings have a 35 inch scale) I would go for either the Elite or the studio version.

x
Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Warwick Corvette $$
Rockbass Streamer Fretless
Hartke HA5000
SWR Triad

Quote by Victory2134
I happen to enjoy every mankiss from shinhoman.
To be honest, while 35" scale will help it'll be more important to find the right strings than anything else.
Quote by smb
To be honest, while 35" scale will help it'll be more important to find the right strings than anything else.

Ahh good point. There was this website that seemed to sell all manner of strings individually so you could make up your own custom set with your own gauge choices. I forget the name though....

x
Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Warwick Corvette $$
Rockbass Streamer Fretless
Hartke HA5000
SWR Triad

Quote by Victory2134
I happen to enjoy every mankiss from shinhoman.
Tbh your going to need something along the lines of 18" speaker wise to get such a low tone, stuff like that can't actually be heard by man, I always wonder what the point is with the Dark Lord.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Quote by guylee
i've tuned my traben array limited down pretty low and it worked fine.

not that low, though

How is that? I was looking at that today and I'm quite interested.
Quote by Slay 'Em
http://www.warwickbass.com/basses/vampyre_darklord.htm

This bass is possibly the most evil bass I've ever seen. I don't have plans on getting another bass for years. Warwick is the Gibson of basses, lowest price..... $1,000. But just a quick question, are there any good quality, affordable basses that are made for lower than standard tunings?

On musicansfriend that bass is over 2 grand; don't know where you saw 1.
Quote by White-Chocolate
On musicansfriend that bass is over 2 grand; don't know where you saw 1.

He means the cheapest bass of the whole company i presume, not the price of that particular bass. (Ie. The cheapest bass in the range = Warwick Corvette (Circa. $1000) )
The prog kid from way down under of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

GENERATION 7: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Well even that is inaccurate, but never mind.

There's really nothing particularly great about that Warwick. They don't even say they use a different pre-amp for it, so the 3-band is probably pretty useless
Like everyone else has said, most basses will handle a low tuning with the proper strings and amp setup.

My Dean Edge 6 is currently tuned from low to high: A# C F A# D# A#. It holds rather well and sounds beefy with the right EQ settings.
Back to the classic avatar.

Quote by KISSguitarist
You are the best writer ever Graybass. Sig me for that. But i love you! You should make a book!

Quote by Phil_Bass_Boy
Jesus christ, your avatar is the best I have seen in my life.

Quote by mh400nt
Graybass_20x6 has a better avatar than you
Okey, lets get some things straight here.

jazz_rock_feel: You're wrong about there is no basses built for a lower tuning. Check out Knuckle's http://www.knuckleguitarworks.com/

Their basses are built to tune down to sub-EADG (one octave below normal).

And you don't need a 21" sub for a low F#. Check out Phil Jones Bass.

They have 5" speakers, just lots of them.

And for all you non believers of the low F#, check out Gregory Bruce Campbell on this video when he is showing his 9 string Bee Bass, tuned F#-Bb low to high, at NAMM.

http://www.gearwire.com/bee-basses-gbc-custom-9-string-wnamm.html
Conklin GTBD-7
Digitech JamMan
Guitar Rig Mobile
Korg AX10B
The problem with anything below 20-25Hz is that most humans can't hear the fundamental. Their ear is just making up the frequencies based on what it thinks should be there. Also, I don't much care what the scale length is, if the string is only vibrating at 20Hz, like the low low E or F#, then it's going to be floppy. You could almost count the vibrations for christ's sake. I really doubt that scale length (which appears to be the only difference in those basses, from a quick look) will support a bass being tuned an octave lower than a regular bass.
Quote by Puma89

And for all you non believers of the low F#, check out Gregory Bruce Campbell on this video when he is showing his 9 string Bee Bass, tuned F#-Bb low to high, at NAMM.

http://www.gearwire.com/bee-basses-gbc-custom-9-string-wnamm.html

Can't forget Jean Baudin, or even Yves Carbonne. Their ERBs extend into 10, 11, and 12 strings.

Quote by jazz_rock_feel
The problem with anything below 20-25Hz is that most humans can't hear the fundamental. Their ear is just making up the frequencies based on what it thinks should be there. Also, I don't much care what the scale length is, if the string is only vibrating at 20Hz, like the low low E or F#, then it's going to be floppy. You could almost count the vibrations for christ's sake. I really doubt that scale length (which appears to be the only difference in those basses, from a quick look) will support a bass being tuned an octave lower than a regular bass.

Jazz has it right. Yves Carbonne's newest bass has a B string which vibrates at 15.4 hertz. Good luck trying to make out what it should sound like, because 15 hertz is at the absolute bottom of the human audio spectrum, and even then most people couldn't really hear it.

Noguera makes a prettier sub-bass, anyway.

Back to the classic avatar.

Quote by KISSguitarist
You are the best writer ever Graybass. Sig me for that. But i love you! You should make a book!

Quote by Phil_Bass_Boy
Jesus christ, your avatar is the best I have seen in my life.

Quote by mh400nt
Graybass_20x6 has a better avatar than you
Ohh that was a much better looking bass!

So what if you can hear it or if you just think you can. Its just like reality, you believe everything is around you but you cant prove that. Its just impulses to your brain that tells you things are there, and if they tell you you can hear a low F# then you can hear it.

I didnt forget Jean or Yves, they are both amazing. Its crazy with a low B @ 15.4 hz but so was a low B @ 30.87hz 10 years ago. Did you check out the video? I dont have a problem hearing the low F# he demostrates, do you? If you do it might be cos if ****ty speakers. I have a pair that you barely can hear it in.

Scale lenght does matter somewhat. Its like most 35" basses has a tighter low B (30.87hz) then 34" ones. But then it matter what string you are using, what gauge etc.
Conklin GTBD-7
Digitech JamMan
Guitar Rig Mobile
Korg AX10B
You're right, I didn't have any trouble hearing the F#. But did I ever have trouble DEFINING it. The bass in the video had a very characteristic punch right? It did from the low B to the high Bb. When he got down to that F# the notes lower down sounded like an unintelligible mass of sound. The notes were just blobs.

I have a very nice set of AKG cans so I don't think it's any problem with my headphones. Like I said, I could technically "hear" the notes fine, but the sound was very undefined and hard to pick out. If he played a riff on the F# I bet it would be extremely difficult to hear a clear riff. To me the F# is there merely as a colour string, as in just to use as a blast note or a thump. That string's cost alone makes it kind of uneconomical for a novelty string.
While I could hear the low F# on the Bee Bass, it sounded muddy and horrible, it may as well of been an E string on a Thunderbird...
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Okey, yeah I agree its best use is probably as a dead note. But see cost as such a disadvantage? It doesnt cost that much. Elexir strings cost way more.

@ ChemicalFire: LOL, laughed soo hard!
Conklin GTBD-7
Digitech JamMan
Guitar Rig Mobile
Korg AX10B
Are you kidding? One low F# string can run you close the the cost of a whole set of strings. Maybe not a set of Elixirs, depending on the brand of F#, but I'm betting it would get close to a nice set of Rotosounds.
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
Are you kidding? One low F# string can run you close the the cost of a whole set of strings. Maybe not a set of Elixirs, depending on the brand of F#, but I'm betting it would get close to a nice set of Rotosounds.

No such thing

I can almost see why you'd want a bass tuned a whole octave lower than a normal bass. You aren't good enough to be notable for playing standard bass well, so you become notable for playing an instrument you can't hear properly.

Bit like arguing on the internet really...
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
Haha YES!

Ahh **** man, get a job! or buy a cheaper bass so you can afford a low F# string.
Conklin GTBD-7
Digitech JamMan
Guitar Rig Mobile
Korg AX10B
I know I'm arguing now which automatically makes me retarded somehow, but I gotta say it. You realize that if no one argued this forum and half the internet would be completely pointless right? Just saying, maybe take a look at who's actually retarded.
The internet is another form of communication and an outlet for discussion and arguements. Saying arguing on the internet is retarded is the same as saying arguing down the phone is retarded. Hell, it's the same as saying arguing down a megaphone across a field is retarded.

EDIT: Firefox crashes when I try and play the GBC vid... is that the one where he says "You're about to watch "Touching Bass"" at the beginning? If it is... that low F# sounds f*cking ghastly. And on the point of Yves and Jean... I've heard a lot of their stuff and have never heard them use an open F#. Sure, they may play notes on the string, but I've never heard them use it open.
Last edited by Deliriumbassist at Jul 18, 2008,