So I just hauled in $1600+ in graduation money (though I'm only looking to spend about half of that), and since I am totally obsessed with guitar and pedals and tone and all that good stuff, I figure now would be an appropriate time to make some pedal/guitar upgrades that I've been wanting to do but don't have the money for. I'd like a few opinions on some choices, so that's your part...

1) Fuzz. I've been reading about/listening to/trying out distortion, OD, and fuzz pedals for a long time and have finally realized that a fuzz is the sound I am looking for. In the back of my mind I've always wanted an Analogman BC108 Sunface, but the videos and reviews for the newer Hendrix Fuzz Face sound really really good. Only problem is that it's a freaking circle and space is limited on my board. That leads me to the MXR Classic 108 fuzz (supposedly the Hendrix fuzz in a smaller enclosure). In the ProGuitarShop demos, this one sounds nice, but not as open and...huge as the Hendrix one. I dunno, I should probably try one. Anyone have any other opinions/thoughts/fuzz options? I'm pretty much set on a silicon fuzz, unless someone can convince me otherwise (I'm tempted to go germanium every time I hear Marc Ford play, but I think silicon is really what I'm looking for here). Also, DON'T SAY BUY A BIG MUFF. I have a Big Muff. And on top of that, I don't even consider it a fuzz.

2) Phaser. A have a block logo and R28 modded Phase 90, but I'm really intrigued by the '74 Script Reissue. Video demos sound great, reviews are all positive. Anybody have one and want to comment/compare with the standard block logo? I'd also be interested in hearing about the BYOC Phaser if anyone has that.

3) Wah. I am getting a Teese RMC. Now it's just a question of which one. Picture or Joe Walsh Signature? All of the 7 RMCs will be considered, but those two are my favorites so far judging by sound clips and videos.

4) Pickups. I have Fender Vintage Noisless Hot installed right now (though I don't think they're installed too well) and I'm thinking of trying out the Fender Custom Shop '69s.

5) Leslie simulator. This one is a stretch but if I feel like spending a little extra, it's next on my list. I'm not even considering the H&K Rotosphere (I don't like the size or the price), but would like to hear some opinions on the Boss RT-20 (which I've tried and liked), Option 5 Destination Rotation Single, and DLS Rotosim (my favorite judging by sound clips and ProGuitarShop demos. Never played one though).

So yeah, that's it. I already have an amp and guitar I'm perfectly happy with (though my guitar is in need of some new frets and a setup. That and a new bridge will happen in time with all these gear upgrades), so I don't need a new one of either. I do kinda want a Tele though. And some sort of semi-hollow ES-335 type guitar. I guess those will have to wait.

Thanks for reading all that, and I look forward to hearing some opinions.

Matt

How to achieve Frank Zappa's guitar tone:
Quote by Thefallofman
Step 1: Buy a Gibson SG
Step 2: Insert Green Ringer, EQ, 3 dead squirrels and a microwave into said SG
Step 3: Plug in and freak the **** out.
if your in to hendrix on the american ebay theres a shop that sells gypsy loaded 69 pick ups as a pre done set all u need to do is screw in your new pickguard
Analogman Sunface, the one with the germaniums in it, it cleans up better. I like the Zvex Fuzz Factory Vexter as well. Try to score a Ross Phaser (it's the Script Phase 90, just prior to MXR I.E the MXR is based on it), haven't dealt with the RMC pedals, the Zvex Wah Probe is great though, pickups are your call, Univibe or Rotovibe.
As i tried to say in AIM, i would go for something more than the Custom Shop '69s. Maybe a set of Lindy Fralin Vintage Hots would do you good, or something along the lines of Lollar Blackfaces.

Recently, i've been hearing a few reports of the RMC Picture wah not sounding nearly as smooth as some of the other RMC's. Really man, check out the Wizard or Wheels Of Fire wah, especially if you plan on playing it with fuzz (even though your probably going to get the fuzz buffer anyway, reading up it seems the Wizard and WOF are better with higher gain.

All in all, i think you should sell your amp and the pedals you want to sell and buy a Roccaforte, the end.
Ibanez AFS75/Fender Strat Plus > Fulltone Deja' Vibe > Keeley TS808 MOD+ > Fulltone OCD > VanAmps SoleMate > Metro JTM45
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Analogman Sunface, the one with the germaniums in it, it cleans up better. I like the Zvex Fuzz Factory Vexter as well. Try to score a Ross Phaser (it's the Script Phase 90, just prior to MXR I.E the MXR is based on it), haven't dealt with the RMC pedals, the Zvex Wah Probe is great though, pickups are your call, Univibe or Rotovibe.
I'm still on the fence about the germanium vs. silicon fuzz, though regarding the Zvex, I tried a Fuzz Factory and didn't like it at all really. I'll look into the Ross Phaser. I'm not interested in a vibe at the moment, a vibe and a Leslie are similar, but different.

Quote by igotabcrich32
As i tried to say in AIM, i would go for something more than the Custom Shop '69s. Maybe a set of Lindy Fralin Vintage Hots would do you good, or something along the lines of Lollar Blackfaces.
I'm gonna have to check out some sound clips and reviews for both, cause while I've heard of both, I haven't actually heard or read anything about them.

Quote by igotabcrich32
Recently, i've been hearing a few reports of the RMC Picture wah not sounding nearly as smooth as some of the other RMC's. Really man, check out the Wizard or Wheels Of Fire wah, especially if you plan on playing it with fuzz (even though your probably going to get the fuzz buffer anyway, reading up it seems the Wizard and WOF are better with higher gain.
The Pic Wah just sounds so nice. Time to hit up the ProGuitarShop videos again

Quote by igotabcrich32
All in all, i think you should sell your amp and the pedals you want to sell and buy a Roccaforte, the end.
That's so tempting. I'm gonna stop thinking about it before I actually decide to do it
Quote by Thefallofman
Go with the Joe Walsh Signature Wah. I own one and it sounds AMAZING!!! It has a nice smooth clean sweep. I love it! You won't be disappointed.
Last edited by HowYaDoin at Jul 15, 2008,
Pickups: Rock Monkey Guitar pups. UGers get 10% discount. Contact CorduoroyEW or whatever his username is. He's the owner/winder.

Many Ugers will stand up and testify.
|~| Iron Maiden addiction |~|
\m/ \m/

gear in profile
Today, I tried my buddy's Stratocaster on my lunch break and he had a new set of pickups in it from a company called WB Custom Pickups. I think the set was called the '67 set or something similar. Anyways, long story short, they hand-wire the pickups with NOS enamel wire from '67 or so and make a dead on clone of vintage Stratocaster pickups.

If you're interested in vintage tones, you should check them out.
^^For $550 a set...I think I'll pass.
Quote by Thefallofman
Quote by BrainDamage
^^For $550 a set...I think I'll pass.

Are they THAT much? Jeez, he never told me they were an arm and a leg!
I plan on going fuzz hunting this weekend, specifically i'm gonna try and find that MXR fuzz. The buffer seems like a cool feature. If I manage to track one of these down around here i'll let you know how it compares to the demo. I was able to try the Hendrix signature fuzz and rather liked it but the Fulltone 70 had a bit more growl depending on the sound you'd want. I'll let you know what I can find.
High Cardinal of Zeppelinism PM TheHeartbreaker to join and
"Co-Founder (and Yoda) of the Star Wars Universe. PM me or SethMegadefan to join.

' " The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death"...'-p.269-Deathly Hallows
Last edited by zeppelinpage4 at Jul 17, 2008,
Fuzz: have you looked at the Frantone stuff? The sweet might be what your looking for or the Creme Puff if you can handle putting a pink pedal on your board. If those don't interest you I would say that the Classic 108 is exactly the Hendrix (with the added buffer button).

Phaser: Retro-Sonic Phaser +100

Wah: RMC Walsh...yeah!

Pickups: Lindy Fralin anything...it's like four steps above anything from fender...

Roto: DLS or H&K, both are excellent...

Great choices on upgrades btw....these are just my suggestions.....
Out of all the Teese wahs, I have to say that the Picture Wah sounds the best to me.
It's Only Rock and Roll, But I like It
Quote by zeppelinpage4
I plan on going fuzz hunting this weekend, specifically i'm gonna try and find that MXR fuzz. The buffer seems like a cool feature. If I manage to track one of these down around here i'll let you know how it compares to the demo. I was able to try the Hendrix signature fuzz and rather liked it but the Fulltone 70 had a bit more growl depending on the sound you'd want. I'll let you know what I can find.
Judging completely by the ProGuitarShop video, I didn't really like the '70. I'd love to try one out though.

Quote by aberrant
Fuzz: have you looked at the Frantone stuff? The sweet might be what your looking for or the Creme Puff if you can handle putting a pink pedal on your board. If those don't interest you I would say that the Classic 108 is exactly the Hendrix (with the added buffer button).

Phaser: Retro-Sonic Phaser +100

Wah: RMC Walsh...yeah!

Pickups: Lindy Fralin anything...it's like four steps above anything from fender...

Roto: DLS or H&K, both are excellent...

Great choices on upgrades btw....these are just my suggestions.....
I'll take a look at the Frantone fuzzes, I know PGS has a few demo videos up. Is the Retro Sonic that much better then the '74 Reissue? I can save $65 and go for the '74 Reissue, which has gotten nothing but high praise since it was released. The Lindy Fralin's are very tempting, it'll depend on if I can sell my current pickups and how much money I have left after I get the other gear I'm looking at (new pickups are at the bottom of my list). The H&K is out of the question. Not only is it massive (board space is limited), but it's a good $200 more expensive then the other options.

And I'm still completely undecided on the Teese Pic vs. Joe Walsh. They both sound great

Thanks for the responses
Quote by Thefallofman
i say spend it all
ESP Eclipse with blackouts (Snow White)
Taylor 814ce (tabacco sunburst)
Dean Dime o Flage
Spider valve mkii
Fender Super Reverb
Peavey Vypyr 15
^^I'd like to have some of my own money that I can spend elsewhere, and I'd also like to have a little bit for when I go to college.
Quote by Thefallofman
i know, i was kidding
ESP Eclipse with blackouts (Snow White)
Taylor 814ce (tabacco sunburst)
Dean Dime o Flage
Spider valve mkii
Fender Super Reverb
Peavey Vypyr 15
Well, I found a great deal on a RMC Picture wah, so I'm gonna jump on that. And I think I'm going to go with a BC108 Sunface with a green LED and power jack (yeah I know everyone says batteries sound better. At least if I get the jack I'll have the option).
Quote by Thefallofman
I've realized that I have a tendency to change my mind pretty quickly. First, I bought a Carbon Copy last week after watching the 6 minute ProGuitarShop video, meanwhile I was pretty much set on a CMATMODS Deeelay for weeks. Now it's happened again with a fuzz. I found a Monsterpiece NPN BC108 fuzz without the wait for half the price of the Sunface, so I jumped on that, meanwhile as of yesterday, I was about to purchase a brand new Sunface. Oh well.

Current gear state:

BOUGHT
MXR Carbon Copy (this wasn't included in this thread, but I only bought it a week ago)
RMC Picture Wah (if the guy ever responds to my PM. If he doesn't I'll just buy it new)
Monsterpiece NPN BC108 Fuzz (again, pending a reply to my PM)

SOLD
Boss DD-20 (sold this a few days before I bought the Carbon Copy)
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Quote by Thefallofman
just throwing this out there, the anologman sunface fuzz is the ONLY fuzz pedal that ive ever played that i would be completely satisfied with. others are cool, but the analog man is just smoother and more rich. Its like dark milk chocolate, and the others are a 3 month old cholcolate bunny with its head bit off.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
^^I had a chocolate bunny that sat in my room with it's head bit off for a good 2 months and it was absolutely delicious when I finally decided to finish it But that's beside the point, thanks for the input. If I don't like the Monsterpiece, I'm sure I can sell it for what I got it for and buy a new Sunface.
Quote by Thefallofman
^^lol.

you could check out the fuzz I make possibly? I dunno if you'd like it.
Quote by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
^^If plans A and B both fail, I'll look into it
Quote by Thefallofman
Quote by BrainDamage
^^If plans A and B both fail, I'll look into it

lol thanks, it was just a suggestion though lol.

what are you looking at? I didn't bother to read the whole thread (sorry)
Quote by gregs1020
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
^^I'm buying a used Monsterpiece NPN. Second on the list if I don't like that is an Analogman BC108 Sunface.
Quote by Thefallofman
Quote by BrainDamage
^^I'm buying a used Monsterpiece NPN. Second on the list if I don't like that is an Analogman BC108 Sunface.

ahh the analogman's a great pedal. I haven't played the monsterpiece though

Good luck
Quote by gregs1020

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
The end of an era
Well I sent the PM for the Picture wah 4 days ago and still no reply. I think at this point I'm just going to go for a brand new Joe Walsh wah (see there's that whole changing my mind quickly thing again). I'm still saving $50 considering I sold my Crybaby. I should be ordering the Walsh wah and a Callaham Strat replacement bridge within the next few days. And I'm still on the fence about pickups. Fralins? Save $70 and go for the Custom Shop 69s? Keep my Noiseless Hots?

Quote by Thefallofman
well the fuzz face is not really anywhere close what hendrix used so yeah maybe you should check ebay and try to find some of the older stuff
^^That might have been the most useless and uneducated comment I have ever seen on this website.
Quote by Thefallofman
Quote by kingofnima
well the fuzz face is not really anywhere close what hendrix used so yeah maybe you should check ebay and try to find some of the older stuff

Hendrix didnt use a Fuzz Face?

So i'm safe to assume that Slash never used a Les Paul, right? Or that Stevie Ray Vaughan never used a strat? And while i'm at i should point out that The Edge has never used any sort of delay effect in his playing.

you've got to be kidding me.
Ibanez AFS75/Fender Strat Plus > Fulltone Deja' Vibe > Keeley TS808 MOD+ > Fulltone OCD > VanAmps SoleMate > Metro JTM45
Last edited by igotabcrich32 at Jul 23, 2008,
If you already have two Phase 90's why not get an EHX Small Stone? Add a new flavor to your lineup.

For Wah, I'd say Picture Wah...its an excellent sounding piece of kit
╠═══════╬═══════╣

Tap Tempo Tap Dancer of τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

MINION of the"I drive a stick cause I'm better than you!!" Club

PM TehNez or IbanezPlayer27 to join.

EHX Users Guild. Bugera Users Militia
The MXR Lounge
^^I don't already have two Phase 90s. I'm looking to replace my current block logo Phase 90 with a '74 Script Reissue.

And as for the wah, I'm still going back and forth between the Picture wah and the Joe Walsh signature wah. I think I'm gonna go for the Walsh signature.

EDIT: The Monsterpiece came this morning, damn does this thing sound great. I'm totally satisfied, and I was able to save $115. I couldn't be happier.
Quote by Thefallofman
Oh sorry I misunderstood you. Still, give the Small Stone a shot. Really nice THICK phasing
╠═══════╬═══════╣

Tap Tempo Tap Dancer of τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

MINION of the"I drive a stick cause I'm better than you!!" Club

PM TehNez or IbanezPlayer27 to join.

EHX Users Guild. Bugera Users Militia
The MXR Lounge
I'd look at a Lovepedal 200lbs of tone. It's super dynamic; it's higher gain with a higher gain rig, and lower gain with a lower gain rig. Fits seamlessly in most setups, but that's just me.
^^
Quote by BrainDamage

EDIT: The Monsterpiece came this morning, damn does this thing sound great. I'm totally satisfied, and I was able to save $115. I couldn't be happier.

I just bought a Joe Walsh Signature Wah and some Fralin Vintage Hot pickups off ProGuitarShop. I'm also mailing out an order form for a Callaham Mexican Standard Bridge Assembly within the next few days.
Quote by Thefallofman
in the way of pups id go with this new brand they are hand wound and sound mazeing i have the buckers in my les paul and am gonna get teh singles for my strat

http://www.fralinpickups.com/reviews.asp

they cost a bit but are worth every penny in the sweet sweet tone they make =)
^^If you would have read the post right above you, you would have realized that I already bought those.
Quote by Thefallofman
Sooo, I got my Joe Walsh Signature Wah and Fralin pickups in today. I'm going to have to wait until I get my Callaham bridge to install the pickups, cause I'm going to send my guitar in to a shop to have my bridge, pickups, and new frets put in all at once. The Walsh wah at first sounded very harsh and ear piercing when I used it with my Monsterpiece BC108, but after switching the two in my chain everything sounded fine. At first I thought I was going to exchange it for a Picture Wah, but after going back and forth with some of the internal trim pot settings and playing with the potentiometer, I've found a setting that I like, so I'll be keeping it.
Quote by Thefallofman
Quote by igotabcrich32
Hendrix didnt use a Fuzz Face?

So i'm safe to assume that Slash never used a Les Paul, right? Or that Stevie Ray Vaughan never used a strat? And while i'm at i should point out that The Edge has never used any sort of delay effect in his playing.

you've got to be kidding me.

sorry guys you are right I said it wrong. What I meant is that the fuzz face you can buy new these days is not giving you the same sound as the older ones. Obviously hendrix did use it. Just a different sound because of the new parts