Hey UG im basically a theory noob and im making a song atm but i dont know what scale i should try soloing in

the progression is basically Am, E, Am, E, C, G, C, G

simple right?

can anyone help me find a decent scale (or two or three) that might work?

its a bit of an upbeat, almost reggae type song if that helps

thanks!
Not as simple as you think. Between the Am and E I'd recommend the A harmonic Minor scale.
but for the C and G, because you've modulated, I'd recommend G major shape one (Ionian)

That's my understanding of it, other people probably have a different perspective.
Soo I'm guessing its A minor in the beginning. The E major has the G# which is the leading tone to A (harmonic minor FTW). Then it goes to the relative major, C.

Follow that accordingly. A harmonic minor, then C major and see if you like it. You might like A natural minor though (just don't emphasize the G natural of A minor over the G# in the E chord because nobody likes dissonance in upbeat songs ).

Edit: ^ It modulates to C major doesn't it? The G - C creates a nice authentic cadence.

Edit2: *looks at below post* Sweet, I was right about something!
“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.”

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
Last edited by metal4all at Jul 14, 2008,
The first four chords are very A minor and last four very C major. The second half is generally best played with just a straight C major scale. The first half is a little tricker because despite clearly resolving to A minor, the E chord has a G#. All this means is to avoid using G naturals and replace them with G#s over the E chords, or in simpler terms, to use the harmonic minor scale. Over the Am chords, an A minor scale would be great.
Last edited by grampastumpy at Jul 14, 2008,