I was looking around for an amp to save up for and was originally set on a ceriatone plexi 18 watt tmb with an avatar 1X12 but that's around $1400 (with shipping). but then i dicovered the Songworkds HiLo Watt Plexi and it claims it can get the plexi tone at really low volumes and is only $470 and is 33 watts. it has a 6 1/2" speaker but can drive 2 4x12 cabs so i could upgrade later.

i like the features because i'm going off to college in a couple years an would need a low level amp that has good tone and a 1x12 stack would be harder to carry than a combo

does anyone have any experince with this? i wanna know if really does what it claims and if it is good.
Last edited by Dance_of_Death at Jul 14, 2008,
^It's been done but I seriously doubt it will sound the same as a Plexi. Also 33W SS poweramp is IMO way too low!

18watters are great amps IMO, being the owenr of one!
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Quote by Gabel
^It's been done but I seriously doubt it will sound the same as a Plexi. Also 33W SS poweramp is IMO way too low!

18watters are great amps IMO, being the owenr of one!

yeah i was thinking that, just wondering about this option, it sounds like I would get the same tone with my english muff'n into a SS amp

Thanks for the input
^Not the same, in theory it's a great idea actually! You can drive the power amp at any volume you have. Heck even my dad and I discussed and amp just like this, but with a "normal" all tube power amp stage, going into a loadbox and then through an SS poweramp that just amplifies the signal from the tubes, enabling to control the volume. If the SS poweramp is transparent, it won't colour your tone. This is EXACTLY what EVH did during VH1, feeding his Plexi to a loadbox and then just using a solidstate poweramp to amplify the signal. However I find that for an SS poweramp, you want AT LEAST 50W if you have a band!
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band

Quote by Gabel
^Not the same, in theory it's a great idea actually! You can drive the power amp at any volume you have. Heck even my dad and I discussed and amp just like this, but with a "normal" all tube power amp stage, going into a loadbox and then through an SS poweramp that just amplifies the signal from the tubes, enabling to control the volume. If the SS poweramp is transparent, it won't colour your tone. This is EXACTLY what EVH did during VH1, feeding his Plexi to a loadbox and then just using a solidstate poweramp to amplify the signal. However I find that for an SS poweramp, you want AT LEAST 50W if you have a band!

Well thanks for clearing that up, i've always heard about EVH using a "dummy load" and other things when he recorded VH1, you're the first one to actually explain that.

Thanks!

So on that note, do you know any amps similar to the hilo watt plexi with a higher wattage SS power amp? if not i'm just gonna go with the ceriatone.
Last edited by Dance_of_Death at Jul 15, 2008,
None really. However you could get one of these:
https://taweber.powweb.com/weber/mass.htm

It's what's known as an attenuator. What you do is that you can run your amp at full blast and then let that control the volume. I have one of those and they are AWESOME! Also they will work on ANY amp!
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band

Quote by Gabel
None really. However you could get one of these:
https://taweber.powweb.com/weber/mass.htm

It's what's known as an attenuator. What you do is that you can run your amp at full blast and then let that control the volume. I have one of those and they are AWESOME! Also they will work on ANY amp!

well i've heard of those, but i've heard mixed reviews about this and the thd hotplate, i think when the time comes closer i'm gonna make a thread about it but which one do you reccomend?