Poll: Are We Making a Difference?
Poll Options
View poll results: Are We Making a Difference?
Yes
28 51%
No
27 49%
Voters: 55.
With all the relief funds, non-profit orgs, Oprah, Bono, Angelina Jolie, Gawad Kalinga, UNICEF, and such, are we really making a difference?

I mean, sure there are people helping out with the situation in Africa. There are groups that advocate humanitarian **** and promote awareness. There's Habitat for Humanity, volunteers, you get what the picture. But is it really stopping what we're fighting against?[poverty, famine, hunger, etc.]

The source of all this should be the one addressed, as most people will say basically. But we all know that it's almost impossible to do an overhaul on the systems we live on, the systems that keep us together. Little by little, yes, we can.

But while countless people risk their lives, spend their wealth, and exert tireless efforts into "healing the world" did anyone ever think that maybe these conflicts are supposed to be here? That maybe we are human beings because we have problems?

Anyway, I ask you this, do you think we are making a difference in the world at all with all these we are doing?

___
Even if we're not, doesn't mean we should stop trying, right?
Quote by Jackal58
Nothing is stranger than being anonymous.
There is never going to be a world where there is no poverty or hunger. I have no doubt that countless people have been helped by those orginazations, though.
Quote by Spamwise
There is never going to be a world where there is no poverty or hunger. I have no doubt that countless people have been helped by those orginazations, though.

I know. That's why I'm asking if these things are making the situation better since they don't help everyone anyway.
Quote by Jackal58
It's a question that cannot be given one answer.

On one hand, yes we are making a difference, we're recycling, becoming more energy efficient and working on technology that may well save the planet one day.

On the other hand, no we aren't. Look at Zimbabwe, people are being killed for not voting for Mugabe. Soldiers go to villages, ask men "short sleeve or long sleeve" and cut off their arms accordingly. We aren't doing anything to stop this. Iraq will never be peaceful, ever.

The information in this post may not be correct, it's all what I've heard, but it's basically true.

(Loving the Jack Johnson and Friends reference)
I'm a Fire, and I'll Burn.Burn.Burn.
Yes. The situation is still not ideal but it would undoubtedly be worse if we did not help.
Is it still a God Complex if I really am God?

America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between.
Oscar Wilde
Quote by kikaykitko
I know. That's why I'm asking if these things are making the situation better since they don't help everyone anyway.

but we help some and it's a world of differenence to them.
Quote by Eliyahu
Mr.Cuddles killed The Metal!!!! FUCK YES!

Quote by TheReverend724
Mr Cuddles pretty much nailed it...

Quote by thanksgiving

"Oh Mr.Cuddles, you make my pants go boom boom. I are horny. Do not disappoint I"

Viscara (my band)
Quote by Jonn0
It's a question that cannot be given one answer.

On one hand, yes we are making a difference, we're recycling, becoming more energy efficient and working on technology that may well save the planet one day.

That's what I like
Quote by Jackal58
Quote by Mr.Cuddles
but we help some and it's a world of differenence to them.

I agree with cuddles. we may not be solving the entire problem but for those who are being helped it's worth it. sure some people don't get the help at all and it may be random and unfair but that's life betches.
If you're in a war, instead of throwing a hand grenade at the enemy, throw one of those small pumpkins. Maybe it'll make everyone think how stupid war is, and while they are thinking, you can throw a real grenade at them.
Don't really care what Angelina Jolie does, all I know is she does it for me.
Oh yeah.
There are some honest and noble charities out there, no doubt making a difference.

However there exists some charitable organizations with alter-motives. Like Peace Corps, a very known one abuses its own power. They go in impoverished nations and help out just enough for the people out there to gain trust in the United States. Once we've gained these trust from the people, we establish companies in the country for cheap and dirty labor work, since the "impoverished" nation's government are not in sync to the level of trust that their own people give to America.

That's advance capitalism, neo-imperialism.

So it goes.
Quote by kikaykitko
That's what I like

Just think of how bad the world would be if we didn't decide to do anything.

I remember that video on youtube that summed it up, there are two options.

1. We can do something about our actions. If we take action and clean up, and the world was going to become corrupt without it, then we've saved the day. If it was fine the way it was, then we haven't missed out. We may well have spent more money on doing something, but at least we aren't all dead.

2. We do nothing. If the world is fine on it's own, there's no problem. If the world won't be fine, then we're all dead.

I'd choose option 1, because I don't want to take the risk of thinking the world will be fine if we don't do anything.
I'm a Fire, and I'll Burn.Burn.Burn.
No of course they're not making a difference. You have to accept the fact that there is no point to their giving but to enlarge their namesake. It's all about being known because after they die, what happens to them? They get put in a box and buried. They die. Does their name die? No. That's why they're doing it, it's because they think that if they do enough good, people will remember them, but the thing is that what we want to remember people by? Their deeds to make themselves known or the people themselves? No. I don't give a damn about people that do good deeds just so they can have that on a resume. It's all utter bull****. There's no real reason for it anyways, I mean why do we exist? Is it to help humanity survive? Isn't that just part of the ecosystem, I mean we have to die out sometime don't we? It is not making a difference, nor will it ever be enough to truly provide for others.

Feel free to flame me if you don't like what I said, I can't change the fact that I'm a nihilist, so why try?
Quote by Spamwise

And if there was a world like that, the US would probably attack it.

(I'm American BTW).
Get a Carvin. Do it.
id myself would like to think that everything ive donated and volunteered my time for is help at least someone. i think that any little bit donated is helping them out because people in poverty have little to nothing food clothes or material wise. so any little bit is something more than they all ready had. i know there almost no shot in hell to help everyone but i seeing myself in a better situation than them i know that i can help them by giving up some of my stuff and time. so to sum it up every bit of donated time money and items is helping but theres no way to reach everyone but its still good to help as much as you can. or thats how i feel about it at least.
I would say yes becuase it helps bring hope to people
Quote by HaKattack
Woman tone, eh?

Set treble to PUT THE TOILET SEAT DOWN WHEN YOU'RE DONE
Mids to YOU'RE DRIVING TOO FAST
Bass to WHAT DO YOU MEAN, "MAKE ME A SANDWICH"?
Gain to NOT TONIGHT, I HAVE A HEADACHE.

starter of the nadsat group
We ARE making a difference. The appropriate question is are we making the RIGHT difference?
Quote by ferretface
And if there was a world like that, the US would probably attack it.

(I'm American BTW).

yeah I'm sure. Because, you know, the US hasn't given billions of dollars in human aid money to countries needing it.

Wait a second..