About a year ago my folks got me an acoustic guitar for my birthday. I took lessons for a month, and then the teacher moved. I sorta quit for a while. Then my parents buy me an electric guitar (lord knows why, but I didn't complain ). I spend weeks playing tabs (mostly White Stripes songs) and then I got lessons. Finals come up after I'm with that teacher for a month, and I come out knowing how to play some chords (C, G, A, Am, E, Em, F, and D), Canon in D (...in the key of C), hammer-ons, and pull-offs.
Problem is, I'm damn lost. My finger strength sucks and I'm taking forever to learn the patters in this Rock Guitar Improvising book (by Mel Bay). Am I just impatient or doing this all wrong? Should I be doing stuff on the accoustic to build finger strength, and why don't I have any callouses?

tl;dr: my parents bought me an acoustic and an electric. I know 8 chords and my finger strength sucks. I have about one or two months total of actually doing this. What should I do or focus on to get better?
Last edited by Shmatter at Jul 14, 2008,
If it's only been 'weeks' and not 'months' or 'years' than I would say you're doing ok. Not a prodigy, but not terrible. Just keep at it, and in a couple years from now you'll look back and laugh.
Super-mega-ultra-neato things should go here!!
"Am I just impatient or doing this all wrong?"

My vote is for impatient. The guitar is a difficult instrument to master, it could be six months before you get any callouses of consequence. You may want to add chromatic scales (1-2-3-4) to your routine for finger strength, but just work on perfecting what you are doing for now.
Quote by rhettro
"Am I just impatient or doing this all wrong?"

My vote is for impatient. The guitar is a difficult instrument to master, it could be six months before you get any callouses of consequence. You may want to add chromatic scales (1-2-3-4) to your routine for finger strength, but just work on perfecting what you are doing for now.

this man speaks the truth....I remember it was a good 6 months or so before I personally felt I could actually play anything on the guitar with even the tiniest degree of competence. I'm not talking about anything complex either, just bog standard strumming chords.

Also, put away the Rock Guitar Improvising book - you're months, if not years, away from that kind of thing. Just concentrate on getting to grips with the mechanics of playing the guitar for the time being.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Last edited by steven seagull at Jul 14, 2008,
Hey i have been playing for about uh six months but i cant find anything easy enough to play and wat does pulling notes mean?