so i got the guitar center catolog that says strat-a-thon on the front and on all the strats instead of listing a price it said "price too low to print" but when i went on the website only some of them had the prices dropped (usually about 40 or 50 dollars) and some of them like the highway 1 were the same price as usual! wtf?
The Mitch Clem formula
1)make jokes about rancid and NOFX (as if they dont already make fun of themselves)
2)make obvious punk puns, possibly related to food
3)make fun of Rancid and NOFX again
4)??????
5)PROFIT (and an army of internet fanboys)
What's the question? That's what I've heard they've put in the flyer, yeah. It's just to get you to come in to the store. I've heard, like you said, that they're around $50 off. Not exactly 'too low'.
There's some BS rule about how low below MSRP you're allowed to print or whatnot, but the thing is, GC already sells lower than MSRP (check out pretty much every price online, and you'll see). It's basically a gag to get you to come in. You're still getting a markdown, but it's not that much more than the usual price, but it will seem that way since the tags will list the MSRP, not the usual GC price.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

VOLUME SWELLING OCTAVE MONGER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by BaffAttack
There's some BS rule about how low below MSRP you're allowed to print or whatnot, but the thing is, GC already sells lower than MSRP (check out pretty much every price online, and you'll see). It's basically a gag to get you to come in. You're still getting a markdown, but it's not that much more than the usual price, but it will seem that way since the tags will list the MSRP, not the usual GC price.

Everybody sells every type of product below the MSRP.
It's called marketing. Understanding the fundamental principles of this will allow you to function better in our capitalist society.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Nothing ever sells for manufacturers suggested retail price. Its all part of how the system works. They make a really high retail price so the "sale" price is easier to swallow. Or they can see we are knocking off a 100 bucks from retail. Also look into the term bait and switch.
The Guitar center strat-a-thon thing on the catalog said "Too low to print" because the discount is on the instore pricing. At least thats what the catalog said...
Quote by TheProducer
Everybody sells every type of product below the MSRP.

Well, yeah, but I'm just saying what the deal is with the stupid too low to print stuff. Because you see this online sometimes, too...except there you just put it "in your shopping cart" to see the price then empty it if you don't want it.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by BaffAttack
Well, yeah, but I'm just saying what the deal is with the stupid too low to print stuff. Because you see this online sometimes, too...except there you just put it "in your shopping cart" to see the price then empty it if you don't want it.

It's still just Marketing 101 stuff, nothing special about it at all.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
It's still just Marketing 101 stuff, nothing special about it at all.

Oh, too true. But obviously the TS didn't take Marketing 101, I was just trying to help out with that with more than a stock reply.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by BaffAttack
Oh, too true. But obviously the TS didn't take Marketing 101, I was just trying to help out with that with more than a stock reply.

All my replies are stock and they're priced to go!

See? I didn't take Marketing 101 but I still understand it

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
All my replies are stock and they're priced to go!

See? I didn't take Marketing 101 but I still understand it

At least you caught the pun I intentionally threw in there.

Also, TS, I think maybe from the ad (I only read it once and tossed it) that each week of the month a different Strat is being featured and on-sale...which would explain why the Highway One was still regular priced. If I remember the ad correctly, anyway.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣
OK. True some of it is marketing. Just like the Memorial Day sale and every other sale for them or anyone else. So what?

I've already checked some items and posted it earlier today but I do know you can get a MIM Strat for $347 at least on the web site ad - so that is pretty good. HSS MIMs were $399 which is $25 lower. Am Strats were at $999. Deluxe I think was $1250 or something can't remember.

PS - It is only good thru July.
PSS - there will be other sales.

Edit: I stand corrected. Prices Dropping People! kidding. The Am Strat is $950. The MIM HSS is also $347. However, it looks like the amps either stayed the same or went up?

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Search/Default.aspx?src=fender&Search.x=13&Search.y=11

and I think this is one of the ones we were talking about earlier:

Fender American Special Mahogany HSS Stratocaster Electric Guitar
GC Price

Rating
$869.99+
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Jul 14, 2008,