make a template and test all the proper measurements with the template first i.e. test for bridge location according to the scale length you want (thats the most important thing), test to make sure you have room for all the controls you want. just your basic planning precautions, measure thrice cut once etc.
alder, maple, ash, maybe some cheaper mahogany

AVOID AGATHIS AT ALL COSTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
Whenever I clean my guitars, my family wonders why it smells so good; I say that I exude a fresh citrus scent from hidden orifices.
They stopped asking
For the love of god dont use plywood, or mdf.

It has to be dry wood (air or kiln dried) to around 6-8% moisture content.

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
Quote by derekwalden_-33
What cheap wood(s) do you prefer for a build? Does it need to be kiln dried?

wood choice depends on what kind of tone you want

If you want a warm tone go with mahogany, for a brighter tone either Ash or Maple, or for a nice blend go with Alder.

personaly I would go with Alder
I beleieve I will go with maple. I have it in abundance. I beleive Im going with a P bass body, a musicman pickup, Black hardware and a camo paintjob. I mainly stand and play, are the arm rest and chest? rest necessary? (Those little places taken out on the topside of the body)
I mainly stand when I play bass as well. The chest cutout is a very good feature. I consider it essential. The arm rest depends more on your style, I'd be okay without one, though it is nice too.
Quote by AngusJimiKeith
AVOID AGATHIS AT ALL COSTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That could be construed towards B.C. Rich.
Owner of the Murder, She Wrote club
Quote by LP Addict
Quote by Vinyl_Master
Oh, finish the guitar, then spill whiskey and coffee on it. Lock in dank basement for several years, enjoy.

don't forget feces. i always get that on my axe somehow.
poplar isnt bad and it's cheap
Support your local luthier!

Timpson Guitars and TDM Pickups rock ;D

I make guitars and pickups. I also make sh*t that'll blow you the f*k up as well as things that will rebuild you - I have the technology
Talk to me about poplar, I can get my hands on some free and have an itch to build a Tele-ish guitar.