I'm looking to buy a Les Paul sometime in the future to play some rock/classic rock/blues. I've been looking around for a while and I like the Les Paul Classic. I haven't seen a bad review for it yet, and many of them mention how hot it is in terms of driving your amp (I also play a strat with really weak pickups, so something hotter would be nice for more drive). I'm playing through a Blues Junior, TS808, TS9, Fuzz Face, Univibe, Wah, and Memory Man though I might also buy a Ceriatone 18 watt soon too. What are your thoughts on the LP Classic?
Quote by forsaknazrael
You should probably mug John Frusciante or Ritchie Blackmore. They're small guys, we could take 'em.

Just look out for that other guy in the Red Hot Chili Peppers, Will Farrel. He's a tall mofo, got a long reach.

Quote by Invader Jim
I give up.

Its my favorite of the les paul lineup. Plays great and has a great tone.
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul
-Ibanez S470
-PRS SE Custom

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus

Pickups:
Guitarforce
MHD
I own a LP Classic (bought new in Dec.). I love it. Sounds great, plays incredible, and it's a Les Paul. I couldn't be happier. Just a note that the pickups are HOT - very hot. They don't sound crispy-fried like many high-output ceramic pups, which is good.

whats the difference between classic and standard because i really want a les paul and i cant decide between the two lol
Quote by Xx Andy xX
whats the difference between classic and standard because i really want a les paul and i cant decide between the two lol

They are basically the same except:

Classic: 60s slim taper neck (this is an option on Standard also), hotter ceramic magnet pickups, green inlays (aged), cream colored pickup rings, binding, tuning heads, etc.

Standard: '59 neck (thicker profile), Burstbucker alnico magnet pickups, white inlays, white pickup rings and binding, some have different tuners.

Different color options for Standard and Classic as well.

Classic is more of a "hot rod" Les Paul.
Last edited by Scream And Fly at Jul 14, 2008,
Quote by Scream And Fly
They are basically the same except:

Classic: 60s slim taper neck (this is an option on Standard also), hotter ceramic magnet pickups, green inlays (aged), cream colored pickup rings, binding, tuning heads, etc.

Standard: '59 neck (thicker profile), Burstbucker alnico magnet pickups, white inlays, white pickup rings and binding, some have different tuners.

Different color options for Standard and Classic as well.

Classic is more of a "hot rod" Les Paul.

so i should really get what 1 looks better lol
When people say "hotter" pickups, does that just mean higher output?
Quote by forsaknazrael
You should probably mug John Frusciante or Ritchie Blackmore. They're small guys, we could take 'em.

Just look out for that other guy in the Red Hot Chili Peppers, Will Farrel. He's a tall mofo, got a long reach.

Quote by Invader Jim
I give up.

Quote by VoodooCow229
When people say "hotter" pickups, does that just mean higher output?

Yep
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Gibson Faded V
Warmoth Strat copy
Epiphone Hummingbird (FS!!)
Ibanez SR400QM
Fender BXR100
Reggae Bass Covers mahn!!!

hey sorry to steal the thread but i was lookin at the classic on GC's website and it says its a slim neck but how slim is it compared to like the SG faded cause i really like the neck on my faded.
best YouTube video ever

Quote by Crazymike100
Honesty is the best policy!

...Unless your trying to get a job. In which case, lie like you just got pulled over with a dead body and some shovels in the back seat.

Gear in Profile

Like NCIS
Quote by sandman-105
hey sorry to steal the thread but i was lookin at the classic on GC's website and it says its a slim neck but how slim is it compared to like the SG faded cause i really like the neck on my faded.

I'm not familiar with the SG, but if I recall, the SG has a 60s slim neck, so they should be the same. The neck profile seems very similar to the older Ibanez X-neck (Destroyer).
Well from what I've gathered comparing the neck on an SG to the neck on a Les Paul is like comparing the neck on a JEM to the neck on a Tele. SG is a little more flat and smaller and the Les Paul is more round.

......I think....

EDIT: or not! haha.
Quote by forsaknazrael

Quote by Invader Jim
I give up.

wait somin else sorry TS but are the pups and the aged stuff really the only diff between the classic and the studio ?
best YouTube video ever

Quote by Crazymike100

...Unless your trying to get a job. In which case, lie like you just got pulled over with a dead body and some shovels in the back seat.

Gear in Profile

Like NCIS
Quote by sandman-105
wait somin else sorry TS but are the pups and the aged stuff really the only diff between the classic and the studio ?

No, the Studio is different as well. The Studio doesn't have binding on the body or neck, and it has the '59 neck profile. The Studio also has the alnico pickups, but not the Burstbuckers that are in the Standard. Still, I think the Studio's pickups sound the warmest of all three. The Classic has the highest output.
so if i were to put the burstbuckers in the studio would it basically be the same guitar if you were to look past the looks?
best YouTube video ever

Quote by Crazymike100

Gear in Profile

Like NCIS
sweet just saved like $800 haven't bought 1 nut now it'll be my next once i get my new Bugera
best YouTube video ever

Quote by Crazymike100

Gear in Profile

Like NCIS
But I've heard the quality in the wood isn't as good as the higher range ones.

Yeah.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
eh i cant really tell the quality of the wood unless there's like a huge dif like an epipi body VS gibby body even thou i've been playing for for 3 years lol
best YouTube video ever

Quote by Crazymike100

Gear in Profile

Like NCIS
if you want something in between the classic and standard. get the classic antique. it sports 57 classic pups. which is the best pups offer by gibson. and the binding goes all the way around the headstock imo it looks better.
Quote by kckyle
im interested in getting the zebrawood, does it have a finish on it?

It has a satin finish just like the SG next to it.

I think people have either a love it or hate it attitude towards these guitars.

But when you see one in the flesh and smell it and play it it has an energy all of its own.

Plus it looks so odd its looks so cool.

If you can bag one then get one.

Remember Gibson only made 400 of these puppies
Quote by Lil Macker
But I've heard the quality in the wood isn't as good as the higher range ones.

Yeah.

I've heard this too, but I could never verify it. I've owned a few Studios and they sounded and played every bit as good as my Customs, Standards, and my Classic.

Oh, and here's my Studio doing the intro here (drunk college party): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SN6sTdMHCbg
How are the Burstbucker 1 and 2 on the LP? I like them on the SG. Thanks.
Quote by Ulrik
How are the Burstbucker 1 and 2 on the LP? I like them on the SG. Thanks.

I'm going to go against what many say by saying that I never thought the Burstbuckers were so great. They are very good, but I always preferred the stock pickups in the Studio over them. The Standard and Studio used to have the same pickups, but only recently has Gibson changed to the Burstbuckers in the Standard. Anyway, it depends on the kind of music you play.
I was thinking about getting Burstbucker Pros for my Studio, but decided the stock pickups were nice enough, and one day I'll buy a more expensive Les Paul with Burstbuckers. That way, I can have the sound of both.
Quote by sandman-105
eh i cant really tell the quality of the wood unless there's like a huge dif like an epipi body VS gibby body even thou i've been playing for for 3 years lol

If you cant tell the difference is there really any point getting it.
Quote by guitarhero_764
I think you need to stop caring what people think about it. I stayed home all day today and masturbated like 5 times. Fucking blast.

Ibanez ATK300 ◈ Sansamp VT Bass ◈ EHX Nano Small Stone ◈ Hartke LH500 ◈ Ashdown/Celestion 115
Quote by ScottB.
If you cant tell the difference is there really any point getting it.

yeah but man its been a lifes dream to get a Les Paul and plus i was over exaggerating when when i said i couldn't hear a difference, i can but since i play with a lot of distortion i wouln't hear a difference from two guitars of the same quality like i doubt i could hear a dif between the studio and the classic unless im really looking for it.
best YouTube video ever

Quote by Crazymike100

Gear in Profile

Like NCIS