I've been thinking of upgrading my gear for a while now. Right now I have:

Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Frontman 65R
Digitech Deathmetal pedal (sucks i know)
Boss DD-7
Dunlop Crybaby Wah

Is it worth it to buy a new guitar even though my amp isn't that good? I was thinking about an Epiphone. I can't really get a better amp because I'll be playing at home and in my dorm, and it can't get very loud.

I like to play some metal, hard rock, classic rock, and blues. Specifically bands like Qotsa, Cream, Tool, Nirvana, Metallica, and The Allman Brothers.

Edit: My budget is around $500.
DOESN'T REALLY CARE ABOUT RON WILSON
Last edited by TDS at Jul 14, 2008,
Why do you automatically assume that a new amp would be louder?

The amp you have is loud and crap, just get something less loud and good.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Although the amp is more important to tone, that doesn't really matter if the tone you have is liveable with. I'd rather get a good guitar first, then a good amp. I enjoy playing a good guitar through a mediocre amp more than a mediocre guitar through a good amp.
his current guitar though is decent enough provided it is set up well etc. a new amp such as a vox ad50vt will make a reasonable set up.
The amp! I've got the same guitar was you and I thought oh it doesnt sound good because of the amp, so i bought an effects pedal... still didn't sound good. Then i decided to try it out at a friends house through a marshall avt and it was much much better
Quote by thegreensquall
ok so one time i was totally wanking and then my mom walked in and my cat was in my room... she knocked first so i grabbed my cat and put it on my lap and started petting it to cover up but then i jizzed on my cat..
Quote by 02matada
his current guitar though is decent enough provided it is set up well etc. a new amp such as a vox ad50vt will make a reasonable set up.

Yeah the vox ad50vt would be a good upgrade
Quote by thegreensquall
ok so one time i was totally wanking and then my mom walked in and my cat was in my room... she knocked first so i grabbed my cat and put it on my lap and started petting it to cover up but then i jizzed on my cat..
AMPAMAPAMAPAMAPMAPMAPMAPMAMAPAMAMAPAMAPAMAPAMAPAMAMAPAMAAMPAMAPAMPAMPAMAPAMPAMPAPAMPAMAPAMAPAMAPAMAPAMAPMAPAMPAMPAMAPMPAM...

got it?
Ivan!

Proghead+Metalhead= ME

||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

URL=http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/ar gentina
Quote by job153
Definately a new amp, Fender amps aren't that great

No.

THAT Fender amp isn't that great.
i say amp, because you already have guitars, and you said your amp sucks...

..and why would you pay $1150 for an epiphone? you might as well just get a gibson
Quote by SteveHouse
M. Night Shyamallama

Sorry if I wasn't clear, I was thinking about the epiphone that WASN'T 1 grand lol.

I kinda like that Vox that 02Matada recommended, it's cool that you can change the wattage, and from the reviews it sounds like you can get a wide variety of sounds from it. I'll definitely go try that one. Are there any other models I should check out when I go to the local shop this weekend?

Thanks for all the help.
Hrm...I'm wondering if he should get an amp.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

VOLUME SWELLING OCTAVE MONGER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by TDS
Sorry if I wasn't clear, I was thinking about the epiphone that WASN'T 1 grand lol.

I kinda like that Vox that 02Matada recommended, it's cool that you can change the wattage, and from the reviews it sounds like you can get a wide variety of sounds from it. I'll definitely go try that one. Are there any other models I should check out when I go to the local shop this weekend?

Thanks for all the help.

Check out that Vox AD50VT as suggested, the smaller ones are just as good IMO. If you're really worried about wattage, the Vox AD30VT is good enough for practice and whatnot.

Other amps I can think of are the Roland Cube 30X and the Fender Champ or something.
yeah the Vox, Cubes and SuperChamp are all good ones to look for. I would mindful of getting Metallica and Tool tones. How much do you play the heavier stuff and do your play with buddies (ie drummer) or have any plans to play in front of other people?

Do you have a max. budget and do you mind looking at used gear? -great deals out there.

Otherwise - you're tracking.
Quote by talia.
i say amp, because you already have guitars, and you said your amp sucks...

..and why would you pay $1150 for an epiphone? you might as well just get a gibson

Epiphone Elitists are way better than a lot of Gibsons.
Barry White is cooler than you
Quote by Deliriumbassist
I really wish I could say you're funny and cool, but that would be like saying Africa doesn't have a poverty problem.
I don't do shows, this is for strictly personal use.

The songs I play are 60/40 Qotsa, cream, nirvana etc/tool metallica led zepp, so a majority of the time I need a hard rock tone, but I do play metal frequently. Not sure if this matters much.

I'm definitely going to check out that Vox amp though, it looks to be really good for my budget. Speaking of budget, hard cap is at $600. It'd better be able to do sommersaults if I pay that much though.
Quote by TDS
I don't do shows, this is for strictly personal use.

The songs I play are 60/40 Qotsa, cream, nirvana etc/tool metallica led zepp, so a majority of the time I need a hard rock tone, but I do play metal frequently. Not sure if this matters much.

I'm definitely going to check out that Vox amp though, it looks to be really good for my budget. Speaking of budget, hard cap is at $600. It'd better be able to do sommersaults if I pay that much though.

I would say a Valveking or Vox will get that. Diff voicings remember. The VK will need a OD pedal to go along with it. What about Bugera's and B-52's?

Used stuff?
I went to the local shop and played the ad50vt and it seemed really cool. However I've read that since it's a modeling amp it won't handle pedals well. I like to use my Boss DD-7 pedal to loop stuff and fool around with the delay function.

Will the ad50vt take the pedal well, or am I better off getting a VK or something?