hey,

i'm seriously considering this amp,

i play metal/hardcore/post hardcore/ classic and heavy rock

has anybody got any experience with this amp or the 100 watt version the gh100?

if so, any opinions and advice would be greatly appreciated,

also to save starting another thread, any good cab combinations for this would be really handy

cheers,

Tom

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
I own a GH50L, what exactly would you like to know about the amp itself? I can't help too much on cabs though...
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
wicked

well just how reliable has it been and do you reckon its worth the price?

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by Tom Horn
wicked

well just how reliable has it been and do you reckon its worth the price?

In my opinion the tone it pumps out is worth the price by a long way and it's never failed me so I think it's pretty reliable. One word of warning though: it doesn't actually have a clean channel, it has a footswitchable gain boost but if you're setting it up for a high-gain tone you won't get a clean sound by switching the boost off; you'll have to either get a volume pedal or turn the volume down on your guitar to get a clean sound. If you need a clean channel and fast switching you might want to consider a different amp.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
cool, that ssounds good then

i was told to look into them as a cheaper alternative to marshalls so its good to hear they get a decent tone.

ah, i didnt know that,but even so would you still say it would be worth it?

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
If you want a clean channel you can pick up a used VC50 off ebay which is a combo version of the VH100R (which is a two-channel head, it has a near-identical gain channel to the GH50/100L amps) for less than £300.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
Quote by Tom Horn
cool, that ssounds good then

i was told to look into them as a cheaper alternative to marshalls so its good to hear they get a decent tone.

ah, i didnt know that,but even so would you still say it would be worth it?

They certainly do have that Marshall-ish british kind of grit but they also have their own kind of tone that I prefer over the standard Marshall sound.

The lack of a clean channel is a bit of a disadvantage but I think the tone and verstility of the tone makes up for it; it can do most sounds in my opinion as long as you know what you're doing with the EQ and your playing style.

I personally don't touch the EQ at all and have it set pretty flat but find that it responds really well if you change the way you play and the amount of gain you use (by turning off the boost or turning down your volume), I find that I can get pretty convincing Black Sabbath, Red Hot Chilli Peppers, Killswitch Engage and shred tones without actually touching the amp EQ at all. Although I do add in my Maxon OD808 for real modern metal tones like KsE, Behemoth and all the kind of thing (metal fans don't kill me, I'm generalizing like hell).

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
They certainly do have that Marshall-ish british kind of grit but they also have their own kind of tone that I prefer over the standard Marshall sound.

The lack of a clean channel is a bit of a disadvantage but I think the tone and verstility of the tone makes up for it; it can do most sounds in my opinion as long as you know what you're doing with the EQ and your playing style.

I personally don't touch the EQ at all and have it set pretty flat but find that it responds really well if you change the way you play and the amount of gain you use (by turning off the boost or turning down your volume), I find that I can get pretty convincing Black Sabbath, Red Hot Chilli Peppers, Killswitch Engage and shred tones without actually touching the amp EQ at all. Although I do add in my Maxon OD808 for real modern metal tones like KsE, Behemoth and all the kind of thing (metal fans don't kill me, I'm generalizing like hell).

You said everything that needs to be said, sometimes the only thing I miss is reverb, but even that can be solved by a pedal in the loop.
Quote by SG thrasher
You said everything that needs to be said, sometimes the only thing I miss is reverb, but even that can be solved by a pedal in the loop.

I'm not a fan of reverb personally, I like my tone very dry; I actually run no effects at all apart from my Maxon and sometimes Boosta Grande in the loop for a solo boost.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
ok

cheers guys

appreciate your time

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb