Page 1 of 2
Hey everyone
i recently purchased an entertainment laptop and now that im in a band i decided to set up a small home recodring rig in my room. My only problem is all i know about recording is that i want an adio interface. Could i please get some advice on everything i may need to know including equipment, room acoustics speakers etc. Also i don't wanna spend much so if the whole thing costs me under $1000 i'd be happy.
Thanks
Quote by yankovicfan3125
i guess i found out why people hate it, because they dont know how to use it and because they've never seen the 6 channels. now whenever i see someone insult spiders, im thinking to myself "stupid n00b..." it's really a great amp.
Quote by moody07747
Tweak's Guide linked in my sig

Read it, that should get you started

Thanks but ive seen all those articles and am really looking for something more specific
Quote by yankovicfan3125
i guess i found out why people hate it, because they dont know how to use it and because they've never seen the 6 channels. now whenever i see someone insult spiders, im thinking to myself "stupid n00b..." it's really a great amp.
just guitar, vocals and bass mainly. Most of the music will also be using distortion on guitar
Quote by yankovicfan3125
Quote by nacho_man_182
just guitar, vocals and bass mainly. Most of the music will also be using distortion on guitar

You've read the entire tweak's guide and understood it all? In that case man you should know more about recording than half the people of here already, but ok. What's your room made of? If you aren't recording drums then don't worry about a mixer, you want a usb/firewire interface with two mic pre-amps.
Quote by f*ck 0ff
You've read the entire tweak's guide and understood it all? In that case man you should know more about recording than half the people of here already, but ok. What's your room made of? If you aren't recording drums then don't worry about a mixer, you want a usb/firewire interface with two mic pre-amps.

any in particular?
i saw the line 6 toneport ux2, is that any good
Quote by yankovicfan3125
Quote by nacho_man_182
Hey everyone
i recently purchased an entertainment laptop and now that im in a band i decided to set up a small home recodring rig in my room. My only problem is all i know about recording is that i want an adio interface. Could i please get some advice on everything i may need to know including equipment, room acoustics speakers etc. Also i don't wanna spend much so if the whole thing costs me under $1000 i'd be happy.
Thanks

One thing...is it just you recording or the band?

If it's just you: http://tweakheadz.com/rigs.htm#Rig1
Replace the Presonus with the Mackie Satellite. And get a SM57 if you plan on recording amplifiers, or better yet, just get a Sennheiser MD421 or an Electrovoice RE20 (or used RE27) to replace the condenser and the SM57. These dynamics are professional quality and in my experience are better suited for male voices.

If it's the band:
Look into a Presonus Firestudio Project and get some small condenser microphones to overhead the drums (Samson C2s are good values since Rode's a bit out of the price range). Get SM57s for guitars and basses (though I've heard good results from a Samson CO3, a small diaphragm condenser that's also as much), and an affordable large diaphragm condenser microphone (Studio Projects B1, M Audio Nova) for vocals.

Both will be under $1000, though it'll be close when you factor in stands (at least $20 each), headphones (if the band's all recording, you may want to get a small headphone amp and this), software (for the first setup, look into Mackie Tracktion ($99/250) and Reaper ($50) as they are solid and versatile, while the second choice includes Cubase LE) and cables.
Quote by keiron_d
thank you sooooooo much for the advice Fast_Fingers...i would hug you if i could...i looooove you!

True love exists in UG. Can you feel it?

Recording Guitar Amps 101
Last edited by Fast_Fingers at Jul 14, 2008,
The Presonus firebox is pretty good, but if I were you i'd go with the Digidesign M-box II Factory, it comes with Protools LE which is a really simple program to work, and contrary to popular belief has some really great pluggins. I agree that Prtotools setups are over rated, but they're still great value.

Check it out here
Why go with that when it's not much cheaper than the PreSonus, only has two inputs, and is USB as opposed to Firewire connection?

If you want a USB interface with two inputs, you can do a lot cheaper and better than the MBox in my opinion.
There is poetry in despair.
Quote by fridge_raider
Why go with that when it's not much cheaper than the PreSonus, only has two inputs, and is USB as opposed to Firewire connection?

If you want a USB interface with two inputs, you can do a lot cheaper and better than the MBox in my opinion.

Because it saves him having to buy a sequencer. I agree that you can do much better than the M-box, I'd never buy one, but for a complete begginer its really the perfect setup. I've taught lots of people the basics of recording with the m-box setup and they've all picked up the concepts really easily.
But the concept is just as easy for most other USB interfaces. Also, I seriously doubt the PreSonus comes with no software packaged at all, but if it doesn't, there's always the cheap, quality option of Reaper.
Presonuses always come with Cubase LE, so the sequencer argument is moot.
Quote by keiron_d
thank you sooooooo much for the advice Fast_Fingers...i would hug you if i could...i looooove you!

dont supose anyone here can help me....iv got a valveking 212 combo and want to know how to record it straight to my mac (garageband/logic)...there isnt a lineout or headphone socket on it, but there is an external speaker socket for additional cabs..but it sounds crappy pluged into to that...does anyone know of any tricks that could help me, or any CHEAP gear i might need to get?

antx
Behringer GI-100 or DI600p. Don't use the speaker out to your computer without either of these boxes (with the pad set) as the high voltages will damage your Mac.
Quote by keiron_d

Last edited by Fast_Fingers at Jul 15, 2008,
It can't be that expensive for the guts, it's only a few resistors, knobs, and a metal box. It may work, but that's assuming you're good with soldering. The DI boxes I suggested also work.
Quote by keiron_d

yea well, ill get my dad to make it, he knows all about that sorta thingm but those DI's are the same thing arnt they? i looked at the behringher DI600p and it looks like the job, where does it plug in on the amp?

cheers for the help

ant
Quote by f*ck 0ff
If you aren't recording drums then don't worry about a mixer,

You dont need a mixer to record drums either..maybe you should do some reading yourself....i record my full band live and for demo work and i dont use a mixer.
Quote by PsychomanZ
You dont need a mixer to record drums either..maybe you should do some reading yourself....i record my full band live and for demo work and i dont use a mixer.

hahaha shut up d*ckhead, I don't give a **** what you do with your little garage band, we're talking about someone who is completely new to recording, so if he wanted to record drums I would have advised him to get a mixer, whats your problem with that?

And by the way I can guarentee I have more recording experience in my foreskin than you do in that barely functional brain of yours.
Quote by f*ck 0ff
we're talking about someone who is completely new to recording, so if he wanted to record drums I would have advised him to get a mixer, whats your problem with that?

He said he didnt want to spend much..so why advise him/others to buy something that IS NOT a necessity.....so like i advised before...READ up someore.

Quote by f*ck 0ff
hahaha shut up d*ckhead, I don't give a **** what you do with your little garage band, .....And by the way I can guarentee I have more recording experience in my foreskin than you do in that barely functional brain of yours.

Really???...wheres this recording experience i hear of...where can i listen to some samples?
You can hear some of my little bands work on TNA Wrestling. Matt Morgan's theme song is my bands work....hell he even walks into the ring cranking our tune.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qf2llJzw3UA

Um,..wheres yours again?
Last edited by PsychomanZ at Jul 16, 2008,
Quote by PsychomanZ
He said he didnt want to spend much..so why advise him to buy something that IS NOT a necessity.....so like i advised before...READ up someore.

hahahahah read my post, I said DON'T BUY A MIXER, I can't believe i'm being told to read more by an illiterate, thats just embarrasing.
can you say??...0wNeD!

On a side note..you didnt advise him to buy a mixer but you would advise it for drums when it is in fact...not needed.
Last edited by PsychomanZ at Jul 16, 2008,
Quote by PsychomanZ
can you say??...0wNeD!

On a side note..you didnt advise him to buy a mixer but you would advise it for drums when it is in fact...not needed.

zomg U jUsT g0t s00000 t0tally pwnd!!! l0lzzz!

Yeah, for someone who is completely new to recording I would advise that he got a mixer, even though its not nessicerily needed, what's your problem with that? And in what way did you "0wN" me, I've had training at two different audio engineering academies, plus private training with the best engineer I've ever met for a year and a half, and am completing a bachelors degree in Audio Engineering next year, I'm not claiming to be a genious, but If you claim to know more than everyone else about recording because some wrestler or who ever the **** he is plays one of your songs when he walks out to grab another dude on steriod's ass while a bunch of hicks sit and chew tobacco in the audience, you're a ****ing retard. Nice Bullet For My Valentine cover by the way, you nailed it.
f*ck off, I'm not saying you're right or wrong, but you really need to clean up your attitude, watch your language, and at least try to be a civil member of this forum.
Quote by MrPillow
f*ck off, I'm not saying you're right or wrong, but you really need to clean up your attitude, watch your language, and at least try to be a civil member of this forum.

I can't man, I'm an arsehole.
I'm usually alright until some ****wit starts an argument with me, thats when I start acting like a 14 year old. I don't even see the problem is, the swear words just get censored anyway. Theres nothing offensive about stars, infact I think they make my posts look nice.
Quote by The Wisemanator
yea well, ill get my dad to make it, he knows all about that sorta thingm but those DI's are the same thing arnt they? i looked at the behringher DI600p and it looks like the job, where does it plug in on the amp?

cheers for the help

ant

Where it says input, stick the speaker output to the input, select amp on the switch, and use the XLR output to your computer. I believe it's on page 8 on its manual.

As for the build...I actually retract my support of it. It may not be able to handle the high levels of wattage coming through it.

And guys, try to keep this the last sanctuary of sanity and friendliness on UG.
Quote by keiron_d

Quote by f*ck 0ff
I'm usually alright until some ****wit starts an argument with me, thats when I start acting like a 14 year old. I don't even see the problem is, the swear words just get censored anyway. Theres nothing offensive about stars, infact I think they make my posts look nice.

It's not hard to have a civilised debate without resorted to abuse and personal comments. I see you kick off like this too often, rubbishing others opinions, when to be frank you don't seem all that knowledgable yourself.
Personally I think f*ck off is being a bit of a drama queen, its no big deal, you're in the wrong hobby/profession if you can't take a bit of criticism. Thats just my opinion, maybe there's more of a deep seeded issue that i've missed.
I'm the new king
I taste the queen
In here we are all anemic
In here, anemic and sweet
So I'm thinking of setting up a bit of a home studio too, I've had a bit of a look Tweak thing.

Whilst I don't want to spend to much, I don't want to buy cheaper gear then end up wanting to replace it. So what way is best to go. I would like to go mixerless, but what would get me the best quality recordings? How much would I be looking at spending?

Note: I have very little technical knowledge, so you will probably have to explain what things are.
Quote by Regression
So I'm thinking of setting up a bit of a home studio too, I've had a bit of a look Tweak thing.

Whilst I don't want to spend to much, I don't want to buy cheaper gear then end up wanting to replace it. So what way is best to go. I would like to go mixerless, but what would get me the best quality recordings? How much would I be looking at spending?

Note: I have very little technical knowledge, so you will probably have to explain what things are.

Usually the safest way to go is not to cheap out on the gear, but to not buy absolutley everything at once. If I were you I'd look into getting a PreSonus Firebox and the 990/991 microphone pack. In my experience a really good way to learn and to end up with the right gear, is to start basic and then work out how you can improve on your rig. I suggest you buy these pieces of equipment, and just record some really basic stuff in Audacity, because this will help you decide what kind of sequencer you want to buy (or DL, if you wanna make someones family go hungry). Anyway, thats just my opinion, even if you do end up with equipment you don't like, you gotta look at everything you do as a learning experience, at the end of the day its only money, so if recording is what you wanna do then go for it. Good luck with it, let us know how it goes.
I'm the new king
I taste the queen
Quote by Broken Lungs
Usually the safest way to go is not to cheap out on the gear, but to not buy absolutley everything at once. If I were you I'd look into getting a PreSonus Firebox and the 990/991 microphone pack. In my experience a really good way to learn and to end up with the right gear, is to start basic and then work out how you can improve on your rig. I suggest you buy these pieces of equipment, and just record some really basic stuff in Audacity, because this will help you decide what kind of sequencer you want to buy (or DL, if you wanna make someones family go hungry). Anyway, thats just my opinion, even if you do end up with equipment you don't like, you gotta look at everything you do as a learning experience, at the end of the day its only money, so if recording is what you wanna do then go for it. Good luck with it, let us know how it goes.

So the PreSonus Firebox is the best recording interface to go with?

I'm really lost when it comes to this stuff, I can comfortably say I know nothing about the gear.

Edit: What's the advantage of a larger audio interface?
Last edited by Regression at Jul 17, 2008,
Quote by Regression
So the PreSonus Firebox is the best recording interface to go with?

I'm really lost when it comes to this stuff, I can comfortably say I know nothing about the gear.

Edit: What's the advantage of a larger audio interface?

Haha don't take this the wrong way man, but in the time you spent talking about how much you don't know about gear you could have learned all about the gear. Clearly you can read and write and think for yourself, so don't be so quick to rule yourself out of being able to learn anything. I'm sure alot of people will disagree with me here, but I think a fair amount of recording is technical terms to describe relatively simple stuff, so don't be intimidated by words, because you're perfectly capable of comprehending a vast majority if not all aspects of recording if you just extend your recording related vocabulary a bit. Anyway, as with everything in recording its a definate matter of opinion, and yes I think the Firebox is really great value. I own an M-Box 2 (its not part of my main rig) and I don't think its even in the same league as the Firebox (I don't own one, but my friends home studio that I occasionally do producing consults at has one)
I'm the new king
I taste the queen
Quote by Broken Lungs
Haha don't take this the wrong way man, but in the time you spent talking about how much you don't know about gear you could have learned all about the gear. Clearly you can read and write and think for yourself, so don't be so quick to rule yourself out of being able to learn anything. I'm sure alot of people will disagree with me here, but I think a fair amount of recording is technical terms to describe relatively simple stuff, so don't be intimidated by words, because you're perfectly capable of comprehending a vast majority if not all aspects of recording if you just extend your recording related vocabulary a bit. Anyway, as with everything in recording its a definate matter of opinion, and yes I think the Firebox is really great value. I own an M-Box 2 (its not part of my main rig) and I don't think its even in the same league as the Firebox (I don't own one, but my friends home studio that I occasionally do producing consults at has one)

Ahh, I've been reading about the gear, but I've been having trouble understanding it due to the terms. I just need an understanding of all the basic/common terms. Is there any website that puts this stuff in a manor that I could understand?
Quote by Regression
Ahh, I've been reading about the gear, but I've been having trouble understanding it due to the terms. I just need an understanding of all the basic/common terms. Is there any website that puts this stuff in a manor that I could understand?

umm not really that I know of, apart from what Tweak's guide says (Alot of it is relatively simple, but there definatly is some assumed knowledge in there even though he says he teaches from scratch). I had it all taught to me pretty much, but maybe some of the other guys will know of somewhere, I'm fairly new to forums and stuff as you can probably tell, I'm probably talking way too much. I have alot more time on my hands now that i've given up weed.
I'm the new king
I taste the queen
Quote by Broken Lungs
umm not really that I know of, apart from what Tweak's guide says (Alot of it is relatively simple, but there definatly is some assumed knowledge in there even though he says he teaches from scratch). I had it all taught to me pretty much, but maybe some of the other guys will know of somewhere, I'm fairly new to forums and stuff as you can probably tell, I'm probably talking way too much. I have alot more time on my hands now that i've given up weed.

Ahh, good that you've given up. Alot more money for what really matters, music.

And no you aren't talking (typing, whatever) to much. I'm glad theres someone helpful. And yeah Tweak's guide is good, just a few things I'm not to sure about.

That's a pic from the guide, what would be the point in so many inputs? Is it only if you want to record numerous things at the same time?

I assume it would be neccessary for drums? Depending on how many mics you have for it?

And whats the point in the top interface?

I'm confused.
Yeah, thats actually a FirePod, not a Firebox, the Firebox only has two mic inputs. In studios even with something as simple as miking up a 2x12 guitar amp for instance, engineers will often use 8 or more mics to capture certain room ambiances and tone colours that you can't pick up with just one near field mic. The interface at the top is showing the rear pannel of the interface it has the firewire outputs, RCA ins, midi I/O, speaker outs, FX loops, etc. The picture below it is obviously the front pannel with the mic in/line ins and channel level controls. Incase your confused, firewire is sort of like an alternative form of usb, effectively its pretty much the same but often with lower latency.
I'm the new king
I taste the queen
Page 1 of 2