Okay so ive been reading the Music Theory FAQ Guide and im not really understanding it,how do you find a note? does the 1st fret count as A then you use the WWHWWWH formula to find the next notes? and does it start off with a on each string? or is it something completely different? Thanks
Setup..:
Fender Roadhouse Strat
Fender Hotrod Deluxe amp
BOSS DS-2
Dunlop Jimi Hendrix Crybaby Wah
I don't quite get what you're asking but this might help.

Only the A string (open) starts off as the note A. The D string starts at D...E string at E.

If you start at the note C (3rd fret 5th string) and do the WWHWWWH formula you will get all natural notes ( C D E F G A B ).
NOT IN DENIAL.
alright so, in between the W's for ex, between the C and D would be a C# , but i would have to take a half step instead of a whole step to get there?
And if i started on the A string, assuming the open string is the note A, and then went to the 2nd fret, that would be a B?
Thanks
Setup..:
Fender Roadhouse Strat
Fender Hotrod Deluxe amp
BOSS DS-2
Last edited by KennySG at Jul 14, 2008,
Quote by Kenny
alright so, in between the W's for ex, between the C and D would be a C# , but i would have to take a half step instead of a whole step to get there?
And if i started on the A string, assuming the open string is the note A, and then went to the 2nd fret, that would be a B?
That is all correct
My name is Andy
Quote by MudMartin
Only looking at music as math and theory, is like only looking at the love of your life as flesh and bone.

Swinging to the rhythm of the New World Order,
Counting bodies like sheep to the rhythm of the war drums
Now, since theres more then 1 of the same note on a string, how do i tell someone that its the 2nd A (a=example)? And how do i know how to stay in the key of whatever
Setup..:
Fender Roadhouse Strat
Fender Hotrod Deluxe amp
BOSS DS-2
I'm about to write a lesson on keys. I'm tired of that question. All in favor, say "aye".
“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.”

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
Aye. Get it to me ASAP, pm me it. Or write it here would help alot too.
Also, how do i learn chords? do i memorize them or is there a secret to it
Setup..:
Fender Roadhouse Strat
Fender Hotrod Deluxe amp
BOSS DS-2
Last edited by KennySG at Jul 15, 2008,
Quote by KennySG
Also, how do i learn chords? do i memorize them or is there a secret to it
There is some good ole fashioned studying, but once you learn how to use barre chords, you can play 44 (or 88, or even more, depending on how you look at it) chords very easily.
care to help me learn to use barre chords?
Setup..:
Fender Roadhouse Strat
Fender Hotrod Deluxe amp
BOSS DS-2
Dead easy really.
Simply work up the neck from an open position on one string.
Take the A string. The note on the first fret is one semitone up so its A#. then 2nd fret is B.
So the order of notes are ABCDEFG and back to A again.
The only problem is that B and E have no # notes.
So when you get to B or E then the next fret is C (or F from E) and so on.
Once you have understood this then you should remember the significant positions up the neck. eg no sharps or flats and marked frets initially. The 12th fret is easy because its the same note as the open string. Once remembered then you can either move up one and sharper or down to flatten.
Quote by prsdave
This is incorrect. E#=F, Fb=E, B#=C, Cb=B

However, when ascending chromatically, the notes go E F F# G G# A B C, not E E# F F# G G# A A# B B# C.
Quote by prsdave
Dead easy really.
Simply work up the neck from an open position on one string.
Take the A string. The note on the first fret is one semitone up so its A#. then 2nd fret is B.
So the order of notes are ABCDEFG and back to A again.
So when you get to B or E then the next fret is C (or F from E) and so on.
Once you have understood this then you should remember the significant positions up the neck. eg no sharps or flats and marked frets initially. The 12th fret is easy because its the same note as the open string. Once remembered then you can either move up one and sharper or down to flatten.

ive figured that out, i need to know about keys
Setup..:
Fender Roadhouse Strat
Fender Hotrod Deluxe amp
BOSS DS-2
What exactly do you not understand about keys?
“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.”

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
everything.. all i know about keys is that you should stay in the same key when writing a song lol, and i need to learn keys so i can stay in key for song writing
Setup..:
Fender Roadhouse Strat
Fender Hotrod Deluxe amp
BOSS DS-2
Quote by KennySG
everything.. all i know about keys is that you should stay in the same key when writing a song lol, and i need to learn keys so i can stay in key for song writing
Again, please read the theory link in my sig.
ive checked it out before and i cant find anything
so post something useful
Setup..:
Fender Roadhouse Strat
Fender Hotrod Deluxe amp
BOSS DS-2
well to stay in key, you would use the notes from the scale you are using. so if you are in C, you would use the notes from that scale. go to all-guitar-chords.com and learn the scales, notes, and chords in the different keys. or get some theory books maybe. im sure most guitar books would go over the chords that work in each key.

and you dont actually have to stay in key for the whole song. you can change the key if you wish or use outside notes if thats what you want to do. but i wouldnt worry so much about that until you learn how to stay in key first.