Poll: Which power rating for a gigging tube amp?
Poll Options
View poll results: Which power rating for a gigging tube amp?
50W
69 73%
100W
25 27%
Voters: 94.
Page 1 of 2
OK, I did use the search bar, and nothing that similar really came up, so I'm making this thread. It's an argument I have with people, and it's an argument I've witnessed other people having, and I think it'd be good for UG to come to some sort of consensus on the matter. As far as gig-worthy tube amps go, do you really need a 100W amp? Or is a 50W more suitable? I believe the latter is true. I've known a fair few guitarists to have gone out and bought a 100W head, only to regret it later on. A few of my mates have said the words "Trust me man, just get a 50W.." to me. Having spoken to a mate who tours the country gigging, he says no sound man in any venue (even big clubs) lets him properly crank his amp. Reckons he never gets it past 5. Some things to consider:

1) Wattage does not = volume. A 50W valve amp which is otherwise equal to another amp which is 100W, is only actually 12% quieter, not half as loud (as many think). Unless you routinely turn your 100W up to 10, then this will not bother you.

2) Lower wattage amps have less tubes, which means less maintenance, and the cost of a full re-tube will be less. And because there's less tubes, there's also statistically less chance of one crapping out on you during a performance.

3) 50W versions of classic heads cost less to buy, rather than the 'proper' 100W versions.

4) At the same venue, with the same sound man, with two amps that are identical, other than one is 50W, and one is 100W.. the guitarist using the 50W will get to crank his amp more, push the tubes harder, and use the amp as intended.

I've obviously made my opinion clear on the matter, now I want yours. Remember: We're talking about what the average guitarist needs from gigging tube amps, not practice amps, not amps you jam with in your friend's garage. For pure metal players, who prefer the tone of 100W+ amps, and dislike power amp distortion, it's different. We're talking what the average gigging guitarist needs. For solid state amps, it's a rather moot issue, since there's not an issue with cranking them, or headroom or anything (though I do think a nice solid state amp sounds better turned up than it does quiet, but not in the same way a valve amp does).

Discuss.
Last edited by Martin Scott at Jul 14, 2008,
There will be a difference in head room though, and if you play high gain stuff you usually don't want the sag that comes from power tube distortion.
15 watts cranked is enough for a gig, 30 watts is enough for cleans. 100 watts is nice if you need very loud cleans or prefer little to no power amp saturation. /generalizations /thread
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
i use to play my fender twin reverb in our high school jazz band at our basketball stadium. i was never allowed to play past 3 because it would over power the entire band rofl....

that being said, a 50W tube amp is only 3 dB less than a 100W, so really its all about if you're mic'ing the amp, how big is the venue, etc.
Quote by yorkshireterror
Dunlop's got the right idea
Oh yeah, only took me a few months
Founder of the "I Support Robert Keeley Mods," if you like them too, put this in your sig!

i <3 breakdowns
Besides the headroom issue there is also the Power Transformer differences. And the fact theres more of an abundance of high wattage metal amps vs a hand full of low wattage metal amps mainly because of issues listed. So if your playing metal i prefer a 100-120 watts and honeslty have never liked metal through any combo i have tested nor like metal on any amp under 100 watts. Maybe im crazy but i prefer 100+ watts no sag and the sound of these amps better when it comes to metal...
I wasn't really talking against folks who know their stuff, and need 100W for their preferred tone (metal guitarists, for example). What I'm saying is, a lot of inexperienced guitarists just automatically get a 100W, because they think the lower wattages are gay or something, and then later regret it, since they pretty much can't use their amp. I should have made that clearer.
Quote by Martin Scott
I wasn't really talking against folks who know their stuff, and need 100W for their preferred tone (metal guitarists, for example). What I'm saying is, a lot of inexperienced guitarists just automatically get a 100W, because they think the lower wattages are gay or something, and then later regret it, since they pretty much can't use their amp. I should have made that clearer.

Honestly that happens more in the SS world of MG's and Spiders not tube amps. This is because of the fact metal amps are almost always high wattage and blues and classic amps are almost always low wattage ( except amps made to be versatile they have to cover everything ) you dont get that mix up happening to much. Metal guys buy metal amps and classic guys buy classic amps. You dont see blues guys going into a stores asking for 5150's..... Ya know...
Quote by Martin Scott
I've obviously made my opinion clear on the matter, now I want yours.
my opinion is you finally learned something and just wanna preach.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Well I personally adore power tube saturation to a point, and I'm a metal player of sorts. I can't really stand a dry tone. It sounds sterile to me, I love the creaminess from power tubes. So in my opinion 50W is preferable, well to me. It's all about preference just like everything else in the guitar world.
Quote by IbanezPsycho
Honestly that happens more in the SS world of MG's and Spiders not tube amps. This is because of the fact metal amps are almost always high wattage and blues and classic amps are almost always low wattage ( except amps made to be versatile they have to cover everything ) you dont get that mix up happening to much. Metal guys buy metal amps and classic guys buy classic amps. You dont see blues guys going into a stores asking for 5150's..... Ya know...

That's not what I was getting at. Like, I know I few people who went out and bought a Marshall DSL100, and really wished they'd got the DSL50, instead. It's not a case of people getting the wrong genre of amp. It's a case of people severely over-estimating the wattage they need, and being really ignorant about amps in general. For instance, most guitarists do think that wattage = volume. There's many people out there who go straight out and buy a valve amp, because they think they should, not because they actually know anything about valve amps, and they get the 100W because Slash uses one, or whatever. You'd be surprised. Just because you were smart enough to do your homework before you bought one, doesn't mean everyone else was.
Last edited by Martin Scott at Jul 14, 2008,
Quote by DunlopGuy
i use to play my fender twin reverb in our high school jazz band at our basketball stadium. i was never allowed to play past 3 because it would over power the entire band rofl....

that being said, a 50W tube amp is only 3 dB less than a 100W, so really its all about if you're mic'ing the amp, how big is the venue, etc.

i really wish people would quit making up statistics. theres no way its a 3 db difference. . think about that.
lets say, hypothetically my 50 watt amp is pushing 3 decibals total, and the amp is turned up to 2. you use your 100 watt amp of the same make and model and turn it to 2 also. so by your logic, your amp should be 6 decibals. ok, now i turn my amp to full, and you do the same. once again, for the sake of argument lets say my amp is now at about 100 decibals. (depending on room size, in real life it would be from 120-200 DB). of course you turn your amp to full, so it would be 103 decibals.
as you can see that doesnt really make sense. like the TS said, its more like a 13-15% change in volume, accompanied with a huge change in headroom and the simple fact that the amps tone is different.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
Sounds like you're being a bit of a confusing dude.

You say "I know many people who bought 100 W heads and later complained that they were too loud and couldn't properly use them." yet at the same time you go ahead and say "It doesn't make too much of a difference because the 100 W is only 12 % louder than the 50 W". So I have no idea what you're saying here.

Clearly, the difference isn't massive.
Blackstar HT-5

Agile AL-2000 with Chrome Hardware
Being a valve amp noob, what is this sag people are talking about concerning power tubes? I understand the headroom references, but what is the story on this sag?

Personally, it was not only until recently that the entire "50w vs 100w" issue started to make sense. I have only always ever used SS amps, and only after starting to research into valves did I learn about it. I would have went out and tried to get 100w because it must be louder and better, but am now starying to realize this is not true.
Quote by CrushedCan
Sounds like you're being a bit of a confusing dude.

You say "I know many people who bought 100 W heads and later complained that they were too loud and couldn't properly use them." yet at the same time you go ahead and say "It doesn't make too much of a difference because the 100 W is only 12 % louder than the 50 W". So I have no idea what you're saying here.

Clearly, the difference isn't massive.

Good point. What those people meant, is that they would have gotten a better tone at the same volume, since they're pushing the tubes a lot harder. The actual volume is not much difference. If they only get to turn their 100W up to 5, then they'll only get to turn a 50W up to 6. The fact remains, a 50W at 6 is cranked much more than a 100W at 5. The tubes are getting pushed a lot harder. But yeah, I can see why you thought that. Again, I should have been clearer lol.
Quote by chea_man
i really wish people would quit making up statistics. theres no way its a 3 db difference. . think about that.
lets say, hypothetically my 50 watt amp is pushing 3 decibals total, and the amp is turned up to 2. you use your 100 watt amp of the same make and model and turn it to 2 also. so by your logic, your amp should be 6 decibals. ok, now i turn my amp to full, and you do the same. once again, for the sake of argument lets say my amp is now at about 100 decibals. (depending on room size, in real life it would be from 120-200 DB). of course you turn your amp to full, so it would be 103 decibals.
as you can see that doesnt really make sense. like the TS said, its more like a 13-15% change in volume, accompanied with a huge change in headroom and the simple fact that the amps tone is different.

http://www.carvinguitars.com/manuals/V3.pdf

that is the manual to a carvin V3. if you scroll down to number 28, where it talks about 4 tubes at 100 watts or the 2 tubes at 50 watts, it says that the volume reduction is only 3dB

regardless, any tube amp 30W or above will crush your eardrums at volume > 5. this is the price we all pay to get good tone.
Quote by yorkshireterror
Dunlop's got the right idea
Oh yeah, only took me a few months
Founder of the "I Support Robert Keeley Mods," if you like them too, put this in your sig!

i <3 breakdowns
Quote by chea_man
i really wish people would quit making up statistics.
not as much as i do.

Quote by chea_man
lets say, hypothetically my 50 watt amp is pushing 3 decibals total,
ridiculous.

the threshold of hearing is around 5dB in a completely noiseless room.
and it gets higher, much higher the older you are.
background noise in most environments is around 30dB.
you would never hear sounds at 3dB

Quote by chea_man
in real life it would be from 120-200 DB
ridiculous.

120dB is the threshold of pain.
130dB is twice as loud as 120dB
140dB is four times as loud as 120dB
150dB is eight times as loud as 120dB
160dB is sixteen times as loud as 120dB
170dB is thirty-two times as loud as 120dB
180dB is sixty-four times as loud as 120dB
190dB is one hundred-twenty-eight times as loud as 120dB
200dB is two hundred-fifty-six times as loud as 120dB

by this time, you're long since deaf
the walls have long since shattered
and your entire body is a puddle on what's left of the ground.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
^Isn't like 180 something like the loudest sound possible?
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
not as much as i do.

ridiculous.

the threshold of hearing is around 5dB in a completely noiseless room.
and it gets higher, much higher the older you are.
background noise in most environments is around 30dB.
you would never hear sounds at 3dB

ridiculous.

120dB is the threshold of pain.
130dB is twice as loud as 120dB
140dB is four times as loud as 120dB
150dB is eight times as loud as 120dB
160dB is sixteen times as loud as 120dB
170dB is thirty-two times as loud as 120dB
180dB is sixty-four times as loud as 120dB
190dB is one hundred-twenty-eight times as loud as 120dB
200dB is two hundred-fifty-six times as loud as 120dB

by this time, you're long since deaf
the walls have long since shattered
and your entire body is a puddle on what's left of the ground.

i wish you could read.
notice initially it said hypothetically. obviously it wouldnt really be 3 dbs.
also notice in praentheses i mentioned something like "depending on room size". sit in a small room with a 50 watt amp cranked and you will be at that threshold of pain.
obviously the decibals i gave in the example were arbitrary, used only to demonstrate the point i was trying to make.
im pretty sure ive been through this with you before, but i guess we are gonna go through it again.
quit being a little bitch.
Quote by BryanChampine
Chea_man is the best.
Quote by DunlopGuy
http://www.carvinguitars.com/manuals/V3.pdf

that is the manual to a carvin V3. if you scroll down to number 28, where it talks about 4 tubes at 100 watts or the 2 tubes at 50 watts, it says that the volume reduction is only 3dB

regardless, any tube amp 30W or above will crush your eardrums at volume > 5. this is the price we all pay to get good tone.

my point was that it wouldnt stay a 3 decibel difference throughout the entirety of the volume knob, not that there is never a point that it is a 3 decibel difference.
Quote by BryanChampine
Chea_man is the best.
Quote by suffersystem
Being a valve amp noob, what is this sag people are talking about concerning power tubes? I understand the headroom references, but what is the story on this sag?

Personally, it was not only until recently that the entire "50w vs 100w" issue started to make sense. I have only always ever used SS amps, and only after starting to research into valves did I learn about it. I would have went out and tried to get 100w because it must be louder and better, but am now starying to realize this is not true.

Cranking the preamp of a tube amp will compress the sound as opposed to the warmer sorta swelling tone from the power amp distortion.

And so I don't confuse anyone too much with my previous comment about metal guitar tone, you want a mix of both power and preamp distortion. You usually want more preamp distortion for the actual gain and the power amp volume to smooth it out.
Pssss Kevin... 194 is the loudest....

Also for everyone else here is a nice little article that helps explain everything...

Speaker Power Ratings and Amplifier Power Ratings
This page is intended to help people understand the relationships between speaker power ratings and amplifier power ratings. A question that comes up in designing a system is "how much power do I need for my subs?" and "how much power do I need to run my other speakers?" I have a BS in Electrical Engineering so I do not know how much of this the average Joe is going to understand. I am also human so there may be mistakes below.

When most people consider how they are going to match their speakers and amps together they usually only consider matching the power levels. There are many more factors that come into play. A big factor is the sensitivity rating of the speaker. The sensitivity (efficiency) rating of a speaker gives you a rough idea of how loud the speaker will play given a certain amount of power. Let's consider a speaker with this sensitivity rating:

87 dB / 1 watt / 1 meter

What this spec means is that the speaker will produce sound at 87 dB 1 meter away from the speaker when it is given input power of 1 watt. Typically the input sound's frequency is 1 kHz. Depending on the type of enclosure and other factors the speaker may not produce 87 dB but it's still a useful spec for comparison with other speakers.

It takes a doubling of input power to produce TDB more sound (assuming the speaker is not reaching its limits). Therefore we can make a table for how loud the speaker will play given a certain amount of power like this:

Power in watts Volume in dB
1watt 87db
2 90
4 93
8 96
16 99
32 102
64 105
128 108
256 111
512 114

You can see how it starts to take a lot of power to make a speaker play very loud. Fortunately even 32 watts of power gets us decent volume.

When you ask yourself how much power you need for your system you need to ask yourself how loud you want your system to play and plan accordingly. Going with higher power amps or more sensitive (efficient) speakers will make your system play louder.

There are some subjective items to consider as well. Designing a quality speaker is a process fraught with many compromises. For example, a speaker whose cone is stiffer tends to produce less distortion at high output levels but the added weight of a stiffer cone can smear quick transient response. Speaker cones have been made out of something as simple as stiff paper (typical of poor factory speakers) to exotic materials like Kevlar (some fairly high end aftermarket speakers).

Sensitivity is another factor when designing a speaker. Typically factory speakers and aftermarket speakers meant to be driven from a head unit are very sensitive because they must be able to play loudly with only small amounts of input power. The compromises that are made to create highly sensitive speakers can have a negative impact on the quality of sound the speaker produces. Some of the higher end speakers have low sensitivities because it was easier to design a high quality speaker that had low sensitivity than one that sounded good and had high sensitivity. Also, it is presumed that a high end speaker will be driven by a proper aftermarket external amplifier with more power than a head unit.

As for matching power ratings between speakers and amplifiers, it is not necessary. Most speakers can accept clean input power in huge amounts before destroying themselves. Any quality amp that can produce enough power for your loudness expectations should work fine. The only advantage a 200 watt amp holds over a 100 watt (of the same design) is the ability to play 3 dB louder.
Last edited by IbanezPsycho at Jul 14, 2008,
Quote by chea_man
i wish you could read.
i can read just fine.
your writing is the problem.
your examples were ridiculous.

Quote by sea_man
notice initially it said hypothetically. obviously it wouldnt really be 3 dbs.
hypothetically is not a get of jail free card.
if it couldn't possibly be 3dB, why make up statistics?
you wish others wouldn't, yet you do.

Quote by chea_man
obviously the decibals i gave in the example were arbitrary, used only to demonstrate the point i was trying to make..
when you make ridiculous examples, they only demonstrate one point.
figure out what that point is for yourself.

Quote by chea_man
quit being a little bitch.
nice move.
obviously unable to defend the stupidity of your examples,
might as well go for the insult.

Quote by chea_man
my point was that it wouldnt stay a 3 decibel difference throughout the entirety of the volume knob, not that there is never a point that it is a 3 decibel difference.
nnnope.
if the amps are identical except for the output stage,
that's exactly what would happen.
same preamps, same settings, same room. same speakers:
100w version will be 3 dB louder at the same positions of the volume knob.

unless of course they're both at maximum ccw.
doesn't matter how you multiply nothing. it's still nothing.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
i

nnnope.
if the amps are identical except for the output stage,
that's exactly what would happen.
same preamps, same settings, same room. same speakers:
100w version will be 3 dB louder at the same positions of the volume knob.

unless of course they're both at maximum ccw.
doesn't matter how you multiply nothing. it's still nothing.

im not responding to the majority of your post, because most of it really said nothing, it was just a way to make you feel better.

first of all, i dont think that you could really hear a difference of 3 DBs, especially if your already at a decent volume. secondly, i think that this rule (if its accurate, which no one has supplied the math to prove it yet) is only applicable up to the point that you run out of headroom.

a 50 watt amp can push 50 watts before it starts clipping, a 100 watt amp can produce 100 watts before clipping, after that they run more efficiently, wish leads me to beleive that the difference would become greater.
Quote by BryanChampine
Chea_man is the best.
Quote by timi_hendrix
Sigh

size=5666666
Timi, you amaze me...
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Quote by chea_man
im not responding to the majority of your post, because most of it really said nothing, it was just a way to make you feel better.
nice try.
most of my post was support of the fact your examples were trash.
you were wise to not respond to that.
no sense in re-opening that wound.

Quote by chea_man
first of all, i dont think that you could really hear a difference of 3 DBs, especially if your already at a decent volume.
that's because you haven't a clue about the logarithmic nature of the decibel scale. you see a number like 3 and think it's insignificant.

wrong.

3 db is a noticeable difference.

the difference between 120dB and 123dB
is just as noticeable as
the difference between 60dB and 63dB

Quote by chea_man
secondly, i think that this rule (if its accurate, which no one has supplied the math to prove it yet) is only applicable up to the point that you run out of headroom.
of course. then it depends on the power supply design. since the power supplies on the 100w version of most amps are designed to supply twice as much current and the same voltage to the parallel pairs of output tubes, they will act very similarly even after both run out of headroom. and the 3dB difference will still (mostly) be there.

Quote by chea_man
a 50 watt amp can push 50 watts before it starts clipping, a 100 watt amp can produce 100 watts before clipping, after that they run more efficiently, wish leads me to beleive that the difference would become greater.
*insert pear*

after clipping, what is it that "runs more efficiently"?
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
Girls, girls, this is ridiculous, stop taking chunks out of each other and be civilised about this. If someone gets a fact wrong or something, just kindly correct them. There's no need to be a pompous know-it-all about it, and start belittling people. Guy getting it wrong- admit you're wrong. Guy getting it right- stop being such ponce about it. There's no need to get so wound up over amplifier power ratings on an internet message board. Etc.

I've been doing some reading on artists since I last posted. Malmsteen uses 50W Marshall heads, and Angus Young uses an assortment of even smaller ones for leads etc. Of course we all know Brian May uses Vox AC30 amps. Not that this really proves anything, I just always thought Malmsteen would be a 100W kind of guy.
Quote by Martin Scott
Girls, girls
since most of the girls i know are quite intelligent, i'll consider that a compliment.

Quote by Martin Scott
There's no need to be a pompous know-it-all about it,
from the tone of your OP, it seems you have that angle pretty well covered.

too bad you never considered speaker efficiency, size and acoustic properties of the venue, style of music, or individual goals and preferences.

all will have much more importance in the equation than the 3dB difference between amplifiers.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
Quote by Martin Scott
Girls, girls, this is ridiculous, stop taking chunks out of each other and be civilised about this. If someone gets a fact wrong or something, just kindly correct them. There's no need to be a pompous know-it-all about it, and start belittling people. Guy getting it wrong- admit you're wrong. Guy getting it right- stop being such ponce about it. There's no need to get so wound up over amplifier power ratings on an internet message board. Etc.

I've been doing some reading on artists since I last posted. Malmsteen uses 50W Marshall heads, and Angus Young uses an assortment of even smaller ones for leads etc. Of course we all know Brian May uses Vox AC30 amps. Not that this really proves anything, I just always thought Malmsteen would be a 100W kind of guy.

I hate to say it Martin but its your fault the rules clearly state no Versus threads and this is the reason why... You set up the pitbull fight its to late to try and stop it now...

Wheres my popcorn... mmm mmm now time to wait for mod's to stumble across this thread...
Let's look at the big picture here.
A 50 and 100 watt amp can both reach volume levels of 120 dbs.
The human ear cannot distinguish volume variances past 115 dbs.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
OK, I did use the search bar, and nothing that similar really came up, so I'm making this thread. It's an argument I have with people, and it's an argument I've witnessed other people having, and I think it'd be good for UG to come to some sort of consensus on the matter. As far as gig-worthy tube amps go, do you really need a 100W amp? Or is a 50W more suitable? I believe the latter is true. I've known a fair few guitarists to have gone out and bought a 100W head, only to regret it later on. A few of my mates have said the words "Trust me man, just get a 50W.." to me. Having spoken to a mate who tours the country gigging, he says no sound man in any venue (even big clubs) lets him properly crank his amp. Reckons he never gets it past 5. Some things to consider:

1) Wattage does not = volume. A 50W valve amp which is otherwise equal to another amp which is 100W, is only actually 12% quieter, not half as loud (as many think). Unless you routinely turn your 100W up to 10, then this will not bother you.

2) Lower wattage amps have less tubes, which means less maintenance, and the cost of a full re-tube will be less. And because there's less tubes, there's also statistically less chance of one crapping out on you during a performance.

3) 50W versions of classic heads cost less to buy, rather than the 'proper' 100W versions.

4) At the same venue, with the same sound man, with two amps that are identical, other than one is 50W, and one is 100W.. the guitarist using the 50W will get to crank his amp more, push the tubes harder, and use the amp as intended.

I've obviously made my opinion clear on the matter, now I want yours. Remember: We're talking about what the average guitarist needs from gigging tube amps, not practice amps, not amps you jam with in your friend's garage. For pure metal players, who prefer the tone of 100W+ amps, and dislike power amp distortion, it's different. We're talking what the average gigging guitarist needs. For solid state amps, it's a rather moot issue, since there's not an issue with cranking them, or headroom or anything (though I do think a nice solid state amp sounds better turned up than it does quiet, but not in the same way a valve amp does).

Discuss.

Seems to me like you just contradicted yourself. If theyre so close in volume then how much more is the 50 watter really being cranked?

Honestly there is no difference, I really think they are more or less just about as loud and ultimately a lot of great heads come in 100watts and not any other options. Its just the way many manufacturers make the amps. When they make a 50w powerball or mark IV let me know.
I like how most people assume you want to overdrive your power tubes. It's a bit a balancing act when you do, as you need to adjust your gain settings on everything, and occasionally your EQ. A lot of people like the bigger amps simply due to how simple it is. And with high gain, this becomes pretty important as many of them use preamp distortion and gian to get their sound. Or if you just plan on using a clean amp without a mic... just commenting in general about trends on this board. Power Tube OD is in most cases good, but is not for every situation.
ladies ladies please lets just end this now and all go with -50w amps that way.

although that way it means we owe the gov watts :s
USA Jackson RR1
Charvel Model 6
Jackson Performer-2
Orange Dark Terror
Hughes & Kettner 112 V30
what my question is, is that i want to have a headroom and be able to have cleans at loud volumes, but i want it to be able to clip also
which is why i'm thinking about getting a 50 watt jcm 900 instead of a 100 watt, because from what i've heard the 50 watt will be enough headroom, and with the 25 watt power switch it should be able to clip as well
but it almost all depends on the headroom of the 50 watt
Quote by progbass
right Metallica is a given. Personally I like to pretend the bus exploded and killed them all in '86.

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
Quote by Martin Scott
There's no need to be a pompous know-it-all about it, and start belittling people.

I rather have pompous know-it-alls belittling people, than people spreading incorrect information around.
Quote by Martin Scott

FWIW, Yngwie uses both 50s & 100s, & owns many of each. I know this for a fact, because I had a chance to talk with him for several hours earlier this year. He actually said he owns like 47 original plexis. He bought every plexi he could get his hands on (for dirt cheap), because when the master volume models came out, no one wanted the old ones anymore!
Anyway, the 50W/100W debate doesn't really matter. Many killer amps are only available in 100W versions, like the Soldano SLO 100 & EVH 5150 III. I just pull 2 tubes on my 100W heads & run them at 50W, because I prefer the tone when they're at 50W. Anyone can just buy a 100W version of whatever amp & do the same thing (just remember to keep the speaker load double the output impedance when pulling sets of tubes). That way, you always have a spare set of tubes, & can move a bit more air if you need to (running at 100W).
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2011
100watts if you want the sound guy to hate you
AMPS:
Bugera 333XL
Orange AD30
VoxAC30cc2
ELECTRIC GUITARS:
Les Paul Standard 60s Neck
Jackson DKM2
Godin Solidac
ACOUSTICS:
Taylor 714CE
#1 Influence:
RUSH!!!
Everyone chill, jeez. Just talk gear and stop getting all worked up.

As for me I prefer a 100w. I know its kinda overkill, but it sounds great to me. So thats my preference.
Quote by InvaderTSN
It's the Asian blood in his veins. It allows him to accomplish things normal people are unable to.

Puberty was very vague. I literally locked myself in a room and played guitar.
Page 1 of 2