Since I haven't seen a thread dedicated to just strings I figure should start one. It would be helpful to me and others to know the feel and sound that we can get out of the different kinds of strings.

I suggest that everyone just makes a post about their favorite strings and tell why they like them, the sound they get from them and the feel of them and how often they break/need to be replaced and after a little time has gone by i'll edit this post and put all the info together so we can then have a cool ass string thread.

*edit*

For ease of me combining all this info better could everyone organize it something like this:

Name of Strings:
Gauge of Strings:
Reason They Are Your Fav:
How often they need to be replaced:
Sound when you put them on and after some time has gone by:
Any other comments:

That would be extremely helpful guys thanks!
Last edited by Guitarfreak777 at Jul 14, 2008,
Try different brands and gauges and see what you like. Strings are 100% preference if you ask me.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
it's all about fishing string. they really reel in the big bass.
Quote by breakdown123
Is there such a thing as a heavy riff with out chugging on the e string?
Quote by beadhangingOne
Ernie Ball, usually regular slinky, they were out, so I bought hybrid slinkys (09-46). Trustworthy brand, the strings rarely ever break on me.

I use these strings too. I think I've been using them for about six months. And I changed them once for wear. I haven't broken one yet. And I play the hell out of my guitar. The hybrids are crazy awesome. And not only that. They feel good from the get go. I didn't really need to break them in. The ring nice from the first strum.
Quote by paranoideyes
introduce her to the back of your hand.
Quote by saphrax
Remember kids.
Backhand = Discipline
Palm hand = Abuse

Hmm well for me it boils down to two kinds.
Elixir .10's. They sound new for weeks and I like the new sound but they're a bit too bright and jangly. But after a couple of weeks they lose a bit of it and start to sound warmer and that's where I like it.
Ernie Ball .10's. Sound perfect from the start. Love the sound of them new and once they age a bit they sound plenty warm and feel great and smooth.
I used EB and D'addario's before i made my decision that D'addario's last longer for me. I like the way they feel too. The players points are always a plus as well.

EDIT: 9-42 all the way
DR True Blues .11's

*drools*
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
I started with D'addario, seemed ok, put on a set of dimes on a friends guitar, then mine, all 9's, tried GHS, cut emm off a week later, went back to d'addario, they lasted a month and I cut them off. now I have Dimes on my DK2M 9's 10-54 on my RR1. So much smoother and sounds better. I also clean my strings and spray them with silicone spray, doesnt change the tone and keeps them playing like butter.

Jackson RR1 Snow white
Jackson DK2M Cobalt Blue
Jackson DK2 Orange Sunburst
If this does end up being an "only" type thread, can you add a disclaimer to not expect a significant difference from different brands of strings? Honestly, things like temperature and different cables have more effect on the tone IMHO.
For ease of me combining all this info better could everyone organize it something like this:

Name of Strings:
Gauge of Strings:
Reason They Are Your Fav:
Sound when you put them on and after some time has gone by:
Any other comments:

That would be extremely helpful guys thanks!

(I'll put this in my first post as well)
Quote by Kevin Saale
Try different brands and gauges and see what you like. Strings are 100% preference if you ask me.

QFT

But MY preference is:
Name of Strings: Elixirs
Gauge of Strings: 10, thinking about 9's
Reason They Are Your Fav: Ridiculously long-lasting, and preserves tone.
e - 3 months (excessive playing)
b - 6 months
G - 6 months
D - almost never
A - almost never
E - almost never
Sound when you put them on and after some time has gone by: really no difference
Any other comments: Thinking about changing to Cleartones. Treated strings IMO are the best. They are worth the extra money.
Pinch Harmonics are all about luck. The more you practice them, the luckier you get.
Name of Strings: Roto pinks
Gauge of Strings: 9s, might try 10s.
Reason They Are Your Fav: Feel comfortable straight from packet and give a nice sound.
How often they need to be replaced: I've just started using them, but I've had these strings about a month...
Sound when you put them on and after some time has gone by: They always make a nice sound.
Any other comments:
What I want in my rig (Bold = gear I have):
Ibanez SZ-520QM
Vintage VECJ100BK
Epiphone Dot
Laney VC15
Boss GE7
Boss SD1
Zoom G2
Although this could be a helpful thread, I think an Ultimate Cable or Ultimate Pickup thread would be more helpful.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
To be honest I don't think string type is a significant enough factor to be considered a sticky. Unless something really cool comes out of it.
Gear:
Schecter Hellraiser Deluxe
Boss DS-1
Crate GTD65

GAS List:
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster
^Agreed. They're strings. You put them on, you replace them when they're old.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Name of Strings: GHS Progressives
Gauge of Strings: .009 .011 .016 .026 .036 .046
Reason They Are Your Fav: Last ages longer than others like erny ball even with my acid fingers and sound so bright
How often they need to be replaced: i replace all of mine about once a month or after every couple of shows, depending on what comes first and how they ae feeling
Sound when you put them on and after some time has gone by:not that much different but if i left it a couple of months there would be a mared difference in clarity and feel
Any other comments: these and the boomers sound so much better than erny ball IMO
Ibanez RGR08LTD
Spear Gladius [with BKP Nailbombs] (soon)

Peavey valve king 212
Orange 212 cab

Pedals of assorted typed
Name of Strings: Ernie Ball Regular Slinkys
Gauge of Strings: 10-46
Reason They Are Your Fav: I've never had any problems with them ever. I used to use Fender, but the bullet ends kept getting stuck in the tailpiece and they snapped a lot. I've never broken a string since i've been using EBs.
How often they need to be replaced: Normally i'd say it depends on how often i use them. they seem to last about 2 months for me.
Sound when you put them on and after some time has gone by: They are really bright and sparkly, with a lot of clarity when you put them on first. Once they are worn out, they lose a bit of that sparkling tone, but still keep the clarity. I've never had any issues with the intonation going off on worn out EB's either.
Any other comments: I also use 9-42 gauge Ernie Balls on my Fender Strat, because of the way the trem is set up. But its all a matter of preference with strings, really. OH and an additional comment: It's stereo G-string, and I don't think it's for guitar. However, for a stereo G-string, it is very good. Don't put on guitar; just use it as underwear if it works.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Last edited by Blompcube at Jul 16, 2008,
Yeah, if the ultimate speaker thread (and the wah thread?) aren't stickied, there's not a chance that this one will be.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Quote by darkarbiter7
Yeah, if the ultimate speaker thread (and the wah thread?) aren't stickied, there's not a chance that this one will be.

Good point, but I can still make a cool thread with this one.
Name of Strings: Ernie Ball Beefy Slinky
Gauge of Strings: 11-54
Reason They Are Your Fav: they aren't, the store didn't have any other 11's though. I guess they don't break often.
How often they need to be replaced: a month, more or less
Sound when you put them on and after some time has gone by: good tone when I first put them on, rusts quickly though
Any other comments: I want to try optimized sets, the B, G and E strings feel kinda floppy compared to the others...
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Elixir coated strings all the way!!!!

twice the price, but instead of snapping every 2weeks or changing every month - they stay for about 4-6months

incredible!
Name of Strings: Ernie Ball Beefy Slinky
Gauge of Strings: 0.11-0.56
Reason They Are Your Fav: I play in Drop-C, but like to do big bends and play acoustic songs, and these strings are thick enough to ensure that I don't accidentally bend 'em, but they're not too thick to prevent me from doing bends
How often they need to be replaced: I replace them every 6 months
Sound when you put them on and after some time has gone by: The first few days - jangly, but then they acquire the nice warm tone=)
Any other comments: Seems they're popular here in Russia)
If anyone's intrested I've started selling strings. If I don't have them listed then ask and I can probably get them for less than the shops.
And to people who find their strings get dirty quite fast - try using a bit of the ol' lemon oil on the fret borad every time you change the strings, makes a world of difference.
Call me Duncan.

Nearly always have D'addario EXL110 strings instock - just ask!

Custom made guitar slides available - choose the glass, length etc.. Engraving availible. PM or email for more info.

SALE

Welsh UG'er!!
Quote by guitar is yummy
If anyone's intrested I've started selling strings. If I don't have them listed then ask and I can probably get them for less than the shops.
And to people who find their strings get dirty quite fast - try using a bit of the ol' lemon oil on the fret borad every time you change the strings, makes a world of difference.

+1
Name of Strings: Ernie Ball's POWER Slinkys

Gauge of Strings: 11-48

Reason They Are Your Fav: There are my fav set to use for E, Eb, and dropped D Tuning. They are my perfect setup for a great crunch in E and Eb and can still have good tension when I want to drop that low string to D.

How often they need to be replaced: I replace every couple months.

Sound when you put them on and after some time has gone by: A fresh set, they are bright as hell acoustically, but after a month, that "brightness" may not be there, but I get a consistent great tone from them.

Any other comments: No.
Guitar:
Jackson DK2T Dinky
Schecter Damien 6
Ibanez ARC100-BS w/ Seymour Duncan JB
Amp:
Roland Cube 30x
Anybody tried the Titanium Slinkys? (I use regular slinkys now)
We've dressed up in our best...

...and are prepared to go down like gentlemen.

Quote by bogg808
The PBT is for those too TGP for the rest of UG.