Im trying to learn a solo and I've been playing for at least 3 or more hours a day. My middle finger has developed this white area where the string would be. It doest hurt, its white (like dead skin, but its not), and its squishy? Anyway, I was wondering if I should stop playing for a day or two or just ignore it? It feel weird when I do a slide... I dunno, I just cant stop playing. xD

As always, thanks.
Whenever I touch my guitar now my fingers go all white like, I don't think it is a problem unless it hurts.
Ben Pazolli
-----------------------
Epiphone Dot Studio
VOX Valvetronix VD-30AD
VOX V847 WAH-WAH Pedal
Boss Loop Station RC-2
-----------------------
"The nicest guy you'll ever f............ind"
It either sounds like a blister or it could be that the callused skin is coming away from the rest of your finger, you'll have to re-grow your callous if that's the case.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by LulWutPear
thats what you want. Keep playing it.....harder tipped fingers are best.

just ask toni iommi
Jesus for president. PM me to join the campaign. or just sig it.

Of course God has a sense of humor. Look at the Platypus...

Member #9 of the Trumpet Players' Alliance, PM E V H 5150 to inquire about joining.
Quote by ~Shred Hero~
If its a blister do I keep playing?

No, not a good idea. Try to leave it until it's healed; I know it's a bugger but you'll be better off leaving the blister to heal than you will waiting for the skin on your finger to grow back if you burst it.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
if it's not bothering you, then yes. Pain is an indication that something's wrong... so if you feel no pain, it MUST not be that serious.

and about the callouses coming off the finger, i had that happen before, except it just pealed off. Only took half the time to get them back as when i first started, but still, it was horrible.

EDIT: wait, ignore that first part. Didn't even think about it possibly bursting open. Do what ever you'd like though.
O O

___
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
No, not a good idea. Try to leave it until it's healed; I know it's a bugger but you'll be better off leaving the blister to heal than you will waiting for the skin on your finger to grow back if you burst it.

Can I put a band aid over it and continue to play? I know it will kind of restrict me and get in the way but its better than nothing...
I got a blister on my index finger from playing my bass, haha. Pretty damn uncomfortable because it was literally right on the end. Went away after about 4 days though.
And I didn't think callouses were squishy? I've never gained one so I wouldn't know...meh.
CHUNKY RIFFS!!
If it's a blister, try to let it heal... If the blister pops and it doesn't hurt... PLAY A LOT... that way killer callouses will form and you'll be free from finger hurting for life.
Quote by ~Shred Hero~
Can I put a band aid over it and continue to play? I know it will kind of restrict me and get in the way but its better than nothing...

You could but you should still be careful about burst it though, they can still burst under a plaster. If it bursts under a plaster it'll probably hurt like a bastard to play for a while, last time I got a blister (on my picking hand from playing bass) I burst it and couldn't tap properly for almost a week.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
It happens. I've gone through my finger callouses tons of times. It gets better as you've been playing longer, but it just happened to me yesterday after a long long time so it goes to show that it's normal. It sucks though, you'll prabobly have to wait a couple days for it to go back to normal.

I can tell you not to play guitar for a little while, but I know it wouldnt work because I never stopped and I'm still playing after peeling off a big part of it on my finger yesterday. It shouldnt neccessarily hurt, but it just feels weird. Dont do any outragous bends or anything like that with that finger though, that'll make it worse and take longer to heal overall. Just to try to help you out a little more, I'd reccomend using the time as a way to clean up your playing. When it happens to me, I take something I've wanted to learn, and play it slowly over and over again. You know, the same way you have to do it when learning a solo or any other part that requires speed. This way, playing shouldnt irratate your finger as much, and by the time it is healed you should be a bit better in the area you worked on.

This wont be the last time it happens though, just wait for your time with higher gauged strings, 2 step bends, and songs that require massive amoutns of vibrato.
Was it polemically sent,
I Wanna know what you meant
I Wanna know,
I Wanna know what you meant
Quote by LastCaress88
It happens. I've gone through my finger callouses tons of times. It gets better as you've been playing longer, but it just happened to me yesterday after a long long time so it goes to show that it's normal. It sucks though, you'll prabobly have to wait a couple days for it to go back to normal.

I can tell you not to play guitar for a little while, but I know it wouldnt work because I never stopped and I'm still playing after peeling off a big part of it on my finger yesterday. It shouldnt neccessarily hurt, but it just feels weird. Dont do any outragous bends or anything like that with that finger though, that'll make it worse and take longer to heal overall. Just to try to help you out a little more, I'd reccomend using the time as a way to clean up your playing. When it happens to me, I take something I've wanted to learn, and play it slowly over and over again. You know, the same way you have to do it when learning a solo or any other part that requires speed. This way, playing shouldnt irratate your finger as much, and by the time it is healed you should be a bit better in the area you worked on.

This wont be the last time it happens though, just wait for your time with higher gauged strings, 2 step bends, and songs that require massive amoutns of vibrato.

Thanks. Will do. =)

(What exactly is a 2 step bend?)
Quote by ~Shred Hero~
Thanks. Will do. =)

(What exactly is a 2 step bend?)

A bend that spans 2 steps, which is 4 frets.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.