Which is better for heavey metal 'screaming' vocals?
The SM 57 or the SM 58 ?
Gear:
Orange tiny terror
ENGL 2x12 cab
PRS Singlecut
MXR GT OD
I've heard really really good things about the SM58

I think Keith Richards once got beat with one, and it was a tie. I'd like to see a PG48 try that
The Pit. The Movie.
Quote by synpet713192
What are these things?

microphones ... direbad.
I dunno surely all mics are the same and it all comes down to your vocal abilities in the end? same as guitar
I personaly have a SM58, never tried it with screaming but it can produce good quality sound, even with my voice!
SM 57 is more of a guitar mic anyway from what ive experienced and read up, go with the 58
Quote by Zanon
microphones ... direbad.
I dunno surely all mics are the same and it all comes down to your vocal abilities in the end? same as guitar

Play a piece of **** strat copy made out of balsa wood, then play some high end Ibanez.
Jackson KVX10
Epiphone EB-3

Bugera 6260
Laney Supergroup Mk 1
Marshall VS100RH
Laney LX412A

Bad Monkey
Crybaby
Metal Muff
Fish N Chips
Depends what you're recording. 57 for instruments. 58 for voice.
I play by my own rules. And I have one rule; There are no rules... but if there are, they're there to be broken. Even this one.

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman
Sigs are wastes of my precious screen space.

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT
They are actually the same mic i believe. The 58 just has the ball on the end, and the 57 doesn't. I have only ever used 58's for vocals and they are great. Work better because the ball keeps it the correct distance from the mouth

Gear:
Ibanez JPM P100A
Schecter C7 Loomis
Ibanez Rg1570
Agile Intrepid 828 Pro Dual
Schecter Omen FR Extreme
Ibanez RG550 (Fernandez Sustainer)
Laney World Series 120-TR
POD X3 Live
Quote by Glimsom
Play a piece of **** strat copy made out of balsa wood, then play some high end Ibanez.

That sounds hilarious.
I play by my own rules. And I have one rule; There are no rules... but if there are, they're there to be broken. Even this one.

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman
Sigs are wastes of my precious screen space.

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT
If I'm not mistaken, a 57 is a condenser mic for instruments, and the 58 is the vocal one.

Even if I'm wrong, I'd go with the 58

Quote by MightyAl
How do you physically download an album? Like run your computer off a dynamo on an exercise bike?
Quote by synpet713192
What are these things?

Microphones

Ts, generally the 58 is better for all forms of vocals.
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."-Duke
The only difference between the two is the 58 has a built in pop-filter. This means that the 58 is better for vocals and the 57 is better for instruments. However, if you buy a 57 and a seperate pop-filter (the kind that clips to the stand) then you'll have a versatile way to mic both. (That is, if this is for recording. If it's for live performances than the 58 is probably the way to go)
Quote by TastyMooglePie
Rape everyone involved: the girlfriend, the mom, the dad, and throw in the dog for good measure.

Quote by Prankster1990
NoFX_Fan182 is awesome mkay. He just rocks my socks
Quote by Zanon
microphones ... direbad.

Not really.

The SM58 is a singing mic while others are talking mics and others are instrument mics. Sure, you CAN use them all for singing, but they are built for specific purposes.

=3

So, and I've done this before, don't waste money buying a talk mic if you want a sing mic Dx
The Pit. The Movie.
James Hetfield began using a SM57 around the Black album to now. He doesn't exactly scream but he used it more because it made his vocals more clear on recordings. I don't scream either but I own three SM58's that I use for recording vocals, guitar and bass. They get some really great tone. I'd say for screaming, The 58 unless you want your screams a little more clearer, then the 57.
Quote by JackWhiteIsButts
I saw Pantera live once, Dime changed into a body bag right there on stage.

Oh ok, kool thanks guys.
I think I'll go for the 58.
Gear:
Orange tiny terror
ENGL 2x12 cab
PRS Singlecut
MXR GT OD
Quote by dancesisidance
If I'm not mistaken, a 57 is a condenser mic for instruments, and the 58 is the vocal one.

Even if I'm wrong, I'd go with the 58

You are mistaken, They're both dynamic mics not condenser.
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."-Duke
Quote by civildp1
Microphones

Ts, generally the 58 is better for all forms of vocals.

I was thinking more specifically of distortion mics. Some people feel the need to have them for screams.
Quote by blue_bogan
They are actually the same mic i believe. The 58 just has the ball on the end, and the 57 doesn't. I have only ever used 58's for vocals and they are great. Work better because the ball keeps it the correct distance from the mouth

you can get the cover for 57's too
Quote by howey
Oh ok, kool thanks guys.
I think I'll go for the 58.

Also, don't be afraid of used mics. Browse around eBay for a 58. You'll get a better deal.

Mind you, 58's are practically indestructable. I've heard stories of people using them as hammers, dropping them in water, and all kinds of other hell and they work fine.
The Pit. The Movie.
Quote by Flea_Is_God
you can get the cover for 57's too

Which makes it basically a 58... They are the same inside. Also wtf is a distortion mic

Gear:
Ibanez JPM P100A
Schecter C7 Loomis
Ibanez Rg1570
Schecter Omen FR Extreme
POD X3 Live
Oh sweet, good to know.
I don't have much cash left over after recently getting my krank .
There doesn't seem to be much on the second hand market... there is however a combo pack containing 1 57 and 1 58 for $135 now considering both of the mics retail around the $280 I think that might be a scam.
Gear:
Orange tiny terror
ENGL 2x12 cab
PRS Singlecut
MXR GT OD
*deleted original post content - worried about flaming*
RIP Tom Searle.
Last edited by MH400 at Jul 14, 2008,
Quote by howey
Oh sweet, good to know.
I don't have much cash left over after recently getting my krank .
There doesn't seem to be much on the second hand market... there is however a combo pack containing 1 57 and 1 58 for $135 now considering both of the mics retail around the $280 I think that might be a scam.

They may be made cheaply. My school had a heap of Behringer 57's and 8's They were crap.

Gear:
Ibanez JPM P100A
Schecter C7 Loomis
Ibanez Rg1570
Schecter Omen FR Extreme
POD X3 Live
Quote by blue_bogan
They may be made cheaply. My school had a heap of Behringer 57's and 8's They were crap.

Yeah, make sure they're Shure brand
The Pit. The Movie.
Quote by Spay
Also, don't be afraid of used mics. Browse around eBay for a 58. You'll get a better deal.

its not like they're expensive anyway, but yeah you'll get a decent price on ebay
Sig space available, give me some praise
Quote by ross1234
its not like they're expensive anyway, but yeah you'll get a decent price on ebay

Well last time I tried to buy one from a guitar store it was $100, and that's kind of a lot for me xD

I got one for about $50 on eBay and it works perfectly
The Pit. The Movie.
Now now.

SM57 and SM58 are NOT the same mic.

The SM57 actually has a higher response in the upper midrange that compliments instruments well, which is why everyone says it's an instrument mic.

But I know people who gig with SM57s on the vocals and sound amazing.

BUT, as far as this thread goes, SM58 will compliment metal much better, it's more durable.