question 1:

so we have been recording and we have all the guitar tracks done, the bass tracks and all the vocal tracks.

we didnt put any effects on them before hand, cause we thought it would be smarter to have them dry, and add effects later, so we could muck around and see what sounds good. so yeh, currenty we got really dry sounding vocals.

it is a heavy punk song, well i guess you would call it hardcore. its melodic hardcore, similar to rise against, afi "sing the sorrow" sorta stuff.

what effects are best to put on vocals. iv heard people using reverb, delay. what are the usuals?

do i need any effects on guitars or bass?

question 2:
were ready to do some drum tracks. our ideal way to do it would be to borrow an firepod pro (my dads mate has one) and record each drum on a seperate track.

im using reaper, am i able to do this using reaper?

and also, what drums would we need to mic up? cause i know we dont need to mic up the cymbles.

one or two overhead mics?

so yeh, if you can tell me (or link me to lessons) on mastering/using effects with recording, and also recording drums.

thanks heaps
Mastering is a weird art. There aren't really any set rules, and the easiest way to figure out what sounds good to you is to just mess around with it. The main things to aim for is seperation of the tracks, like having a place for each instrument in the sound spectrum. You can achieve this through EQing. Effects is the same thing, just add effects and see how it turns out. Reverb is probably the most common effect though. As for drums the best result will come if you mic each drum kit indivisually, but it depends on how many mics are available. If you tell us how many mics you have we could tell you the most effcient way to record drums. I dont know how its going to turn out recording drums last though, they are always recorded first.
Yeah ^ he covered most of it, if you like put up the dry track and we'll have a listen and tell ya what it needs, I used to record heavier hardcore bands like that sound sorta like Terror and Madball type stuff, was always the funnest type of music to record.
we all recorded to a click track. and the drummer just chucks on his headphones and plays along. it works out well.
Question 1: See above. I recommend using a bit of compression too to even out the performance, and sparing use of EQ (reducing/attenuating frequencies rather than boosting others) and reverb to improve the performance.

As for guitars and bass, it's up to you. If the distortion's great, don't mess with it. But if it can use a little boosting, try BBE's plugins or a bit of compression.

Question 2: Yes, Reaper should handle it, if you have a Firewire interface. And use two microphones.
Quote by keiron_d
thank you sooooooo much for the advice Fast_Fingers...i would hug you if i could...i looooove you!

True love exists in UG. Can you feel it?

Recording Guitar Amps 101