i will soon have 1,000 saved for a new guitar and amp. I'm thinking of getting this guitar and amp..any comments are welcomed.
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Jackson-DK2M-Dinky-Electric-Guitar-103814281-i1167493.gc
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Peavey-ValveKing-112-Combo-Amp-104003397-i1145634.gc
i play mostly Judas, maiden, and just metal. How are they? any tips on how to get the guy to lower the price? I will be going like pretty soon, couple of weeks or a month(soon for me lol) thanks. You thinking its asking to much to knock off 50 bucks off each of them?
LOL
i dont think theyll bargain anymore, might throw in free stuff though(case/gigbag)
Quote by guitardude34875
be the music, not the scene
lol really? like a year ago this one guy i knew at this other GC knocked off 1.50 off each guitar pack string i bought. Have they changed?
LOL
well you knew him

i mean, they'll drop a couple bucks off of a pedal or something,
Quote by guitardude34875
be the music, not the scene
nah i didn't know him until i went to that GC for the 1st time..why have they changed?
LOL
I used to know the Manger of my local guitar center. He slipped me pretty awesome deals. Try to get it in with the salesmen. Show them that you have money and your not a noob and they will cut prices. If not look for blemished/scratch + dent stuff.
I spend near a grand there a few months ago, they wouldn't budge at all and wouldnt even throw in a pack of picks. they say they cant make deals anymore.

edit: that may just be my guitar center though...
i think it is all relative.

usually if you play like you only want one thing (Jackson) and bring up something else later (Valveking) you can sometimes get a break on both.

let them sell you into what you already want and check everything else out too.

if you don't like the person you are talking too just kill time until you find someone who is willing to negotiate. They have SOME flexibility. Go early in the day if you can.
well, just tell tehm you have athousand to spend, and ask them to shave about 30 bucks off the thousand for you, and if they don't say you'll just buy it from musiciansfriend, that'll make them deal with you.
Fender Standard American Stratocaster
Boss DS-1
Budda Budwah
Electroharmonix Small Clone
Vox AD50VT
You know what you are looking for, but start looking at a cheaper guitar and pretend to be seriously interested in it. Then try the one that you want to buy, and act unsatisfied, and tell the salesman that you can only afford the cheaper one. Since GC runs on commission, they will try to persuade you to buy the Jackson since they get more commission. You may get a bag, picks, strings or something.
Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Studio Custom (Alpine White)
Roland Microcube

Hoping to get a Strat or Tele next.
naw!

just pretend that you would rather buy on-line and you don't want a 'used' one off the wall.

generally tho, if you are going to buy an amp and guitar at the same time you may be better off buying together at a store.

on the otherhand, you may feel pressured into buying somehthing that is really not for you...so it is all relative. Just never be afraid to pick up your stuff and walk out to prove a point only to come back and check agian.
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Jul 15, 2008,
They can knock some money off, but it doesn't necessarily mean they will.

Sales can potentially be a lot better because a generic % mark of can potentially drop the price below what the rock bottom deal they could even make though. Best just to try stopping in during a sale and see if you can find what you want cheap. You might get lucky and save a lot more than you expected. Just for example, if you went during the Sam Ash sale a couple months back, the guitar would have been $120 off, guaranteed, no haggling and the amp would have been $86 (everything was 20% off, except for some of the brands that normally get excluded from those sales). It didn't even matter if it was in stock, they would have ordered it as long as you paid on the spot.

They can haggle, but a lot of them won't, they seem to be trying to cut back on doing that, it seems. However, just going to the good sales can save quite a lot of money.
Guitar Center isn't allowed to give out discounts anymore unless they're doing a price-match, they'll give you some free stuff (strings/strap/cable) but other than that what you see is what you get.

And the case you get when you buy a guitar from GC or anywhere else isn't free, it's already built into the price tag you're seeing. It's itemized on the receipt if you don't believe me.
Good music is good music...everything else can go to hell

Gear:
Gibson LP Studio
Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue
Avatar G212H (1xG12H30 1xAlnico Gold)
TS-9 Screamer
Boss Tu-2
Line6 X2-XDS Plus

The Band
I got a POD 2.0 there a few weeks ago and I think they said they stopped bargaining so that prices were alltogether lower. If you haven't already sign up for their mail service, saved me $40, or a cheap OD pedal
But you don't point out the 80 "buy me an amp" threads every hour?

Gear:
Gibson LP Studio
TS-9 Screamer
Boss Tu-2
Line6 X2-XDS Plus

The Band
Last edited by apollo66 at Jul 15, 2008,
There's been a lot of talk about the new GC no haggle policy. I used to always get a disount between 10% to 20% whenever I bought anything. But honestly, I get better deals now with price matching than I ever got haggling. I would find a super deal online (not ebay mind you) and print it off. Then go in and try to haggle for less than the price match. If they won't do it then whip out the pice match. And make sure to tell them out the door if your price match is free shipping and no tax, they'll usually roll that back as well.

Good luck!
Quote by apollo66
Guitar Center isn't allowed to give out discounts anymore unless they're doing a price-match, they'll give you some free stuff (strings/strap/cable) but other than that what you see is what you get.

And the case you get when you buy a guitar from GC or anywhere else isn't free, it's already built into the price tag you're seeing. It's itemized on the receipt if you don't believe me.

I think this "not being able to discount" thing is all simply just rumor that's ended up spreading like wildfire through the internet like pretty much every other rumor that's done the same thing.

Everytime I go to GC, they're more than willing to deal with me (and I generally don't price match unless they're unwilling to budge, which is rare). On used items, it depends on how long they've had the used item there, as well as how much they "paid" for the item when it was traded in. The longer the item has been sitting in the store/less they paid for it, the more they'll be willing to deal.

Other manufacturer's don't give them any choice in the matter (Mesa Boogie for instance). Mesa Boogie themselves do not allow for any headroom in their pricing, therefore, GC generally can't budge on the price. Peavey has some headroom and GC can make better deals with Peavey equipment, IF the salesperson decides to excercise their ability to do so. Same thing with different guitar manufacturers. Some manufacturers will have different amounts of pricing headroom than others.
~We Rock Out With Our Cocks Out!: UG Naked Club.~
Once in a blue moon, God reaches down from his lofty perch, points at an infant boy and proclaims, "This one shall have balls carved out of fucking granite."
It's not a rumor, I've got friends that work there.

Gear:
Gibson LP Studio
TS-9 Screamer
Boss Tu-2
Line6 X2-XDS Plus

The Band
Quote by apollo66
It's not a rumor, I've got friends that work there.

I've become friends with someone over a short period of time that works at my local GC and have just asked her about this.

No such thing. There's a specific percentage they can't go past, but nothing that states they can't deal, and again it's dependant also on the headroom that the manufacturer gives.

She told me that some people have taken to saying that they no longer make deals though, simply to make as much money as they can on the sale.

The person I befriended happens to make some primo money in sales too. She's one of their top salespeople. She cuts me decent deals all the time. Guitar Rig Sessions normally $199, went $175 out the door. They have no real headroom on books, but she'll at least get me out the door without tax. I got a Metal Muff for $45 out the door. The list can go on and on.

I won't deal with anyone else there, and she knows that if the deals stop coming, I'll look elsewhere.
~We Rock Out With Our Cocks Out!: UG Naked Club.~
Once in a blue moon, God reaches down from his lofty perch, points at an infant boy and proclaims, "This one shall have balls carved out of fucking granite."
i was able to get my valveking 212 because the guy gave me a 20% discount, this was new still in box. Granted hes the sales manager and i also told him that my cousins are the band for their church and that they buy gear constantly and if he gave me a good deal i would convince them to buy from GC instead of sam ash. And i also told him that i would continue to buy from him only if i would get good deals as well down the road. Befriend some of the people that work there and im sure they will help u out.
Gear:
Ibanez Artcore AM73
Carlo-Robelli Acoustic (first guitar)
Peavey VaveKing 212
BOSS GE-7
BOSS Super Chorus CH-1
Last edited by TOILETHERO at Jul 15, 2008,