http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20080712/media_nm/vinyl_dc

According to this article and a few I've read in the past, Vinyl is becoming popular enough for Major Lables to start pressing again, and now chain stores are considering stocking LPs. Any thoughts on this?

Of all the people I know, I'm the only person I know that collects vinyl, and most people think that I'm Luddite for doing so. Most people just listen to music on iPods because even CD's are too inconvenient. I found it really puzzling for Vinyl to make a comeback. Unfortunately the same can't be said about the state of Vinyl sales in the dance music/DJ Vinyl Industry.
I've only seen them at hot topic for crappy bands like The Devil Wears Prada.

I found a Tupac one though, so that was nice
I have seen newer bands releasing vinyl records. I think Radiohead did for "In Rainbows", and I'm pretty sure Nine Inch Nails did for "Ghosts I-IV". I think a lot of electronic/techno people do too.
Saint Louis Blues
I just bought a record player like 2 days ago, I hope they become popular again, really. There's nothing quite like taking out a new shiny record and putting on the player for the first time...amazing.
Quote by The Picker
I have seen newer bands releasing vinyl records. I think Radiohead did for "In Rainbows", and I'm pretty sure Nine Inch Nails did for "Ghosts I-IV". I think a lot of electronic/techno people do too.

Actually Vinyl Sales in Electronic music have been plummeting drastically. Because mostly DJ's buy dance music, and with the popularity of DJ CD Players, and DVS programs. In fact, some dance labels aren't even releasing vinyl anymore because they can't afford to now.
Metallica is releasing a vinyl of theyr new album.
I personally love vinyls, and having a old player to play them is awesome
Quote by Reincaster
I once got shocked by a spider amp.

I got powers like spiderman did, except I model everyone else's powers poorly.

Quote by shredhead22
why not, i started using the zakk wylde boomers and now every third note i hit is a pinch harmonic

I have a very small vinyl collection (4-5 albums, ha.) but I really wish I had a record player.
anyone care to suggest a good, semi-cheap record player?
last.fm: last.fm/thrashmetal101
follow me on twitter
Quote by Sonicxlover
Emotionally, it makes me feel good. Physically, it makes me feel good.
Quote by Popsai
Metallica is releasing a vinyl of theyr new album.
I personally love vinyls, and having a old player to play them is awesome

Oh God no, please tell me Metallica isn't releasing another album.
Quote by smb
Plenty of bands release vinyl. It's not a sudden comeback. It never really went away.

exactly.

Plus, people are drawn to "retro" things so they can believe they are better than everyone who isn't as "retro" or "obscure" as they are. Not a bad thing, just a cry for individuality. Now everyone has had the same idea of separating themselves from the mainstream and so this "retro" method of recording and playing music is making a comeback. I'm happy about this for the sole reason that it is good for the music industry that money is flowing back in.
Quote by doggy_hat
Oh God no, please tell me Metallica isn't releasing another album.

Where have you been hidden?
Plus, from the clips i saw, its promising.
Quote by Reincaster
I once got shocked by a spider amp.

I got powers like spiderman did, except I model everyone else's powers poorly.

Quote by shredhead22
why not, i started using the zakk wylde boomers and now every third note i hit is a pinch harmonic

Quote by doggy_hat
Actually Vinyl Sales in Electronic music have been plummeting drastically. Because mostly DJ's buy dance music, and with the popularity of DJ CD Players, and DVS programs. In fact, some dance labels aren't even releasing vinyl anymore because they can't afford to now.
Well you dont exactly make the money back.... pressing is expensive
It's funny you say that, my friend and I are starting a record "collection." Although it's hard to be a collector when you only get stuff you like...meh. It's a fuctionable collection. I found Van Halen's '1984' in great condition for a buck a couple weeks ago. Then I bought a record player, but it doesn't have a needle, and I don't know crap about record players, so... SOL.
Quote by terryguitar
GROW UP WE DONT NEED 2 CHEAT WHEN OUR KIDS ARE BEAUTIFUL

Quote by blynd_snyper
Ummm, petrol? Nip down to your local petrol station, buy a litre of the stuff and soak your balls in it, light them up and start playing with them.
Quote by thrashmetal101
I have a very small vinyl collection (4-5 albums, ha.) but I really wish I had a record player.
anyone care to suggest a good, semi-cheap record player?

Go to an antique shop or flea market, that's where I got mine for like $40 with speakers and a needle. You will probably have to buy a new needle for it, I know I have to pretty soon. Do a google search on record players and look on ebay or amazon.
I'm saving up my money to buy a Technics SL1200MK2 Turntable, they go for like 250-300 USD used.

The problem though with really cheap turntables is that they can wear out records faster, have poor tracking, and can sound piss poor. There's alot more things that you got to look out for with turntables, that you don't with CD players.