Hi, I have been practicing my legato lots lately, and I was analyzing my technique one day, when I realized that when doing legato, my hands lift much too high off the fretboard. To understand what my legato is like, roll-tap your fingers on the table, starting with your pinky.

Yeah. It's pretty inefficient.

But....

If I keep my fingers very low, I end up not being able to keep the rhythmic pattern.

It's almost like I end up just hammering onto the last note, with all of the other fingers in the middle. I have tried playing scales slowly, keeping my hands low to the fretboard, but this does not solve my problem when I am doing legato. Any help? .
Last edited by mason7373 at Jul 14, 2008,
Quote by mason7373
Hi, I have been practicing my legato lots lately, and I was analyzing my technique one day, when I realized that when doing legato, my hands lift much too high off the fretboard. To understand what my legato is like, roll-tap your fingers on the table, starting with your pinky.

Yeah. It's pretty inefficient.

But....

If I keep my fingers very low, I end up not being able to keep the rhythmic pattern.

It's almost like I end up just hammering onto the last note, with all of the other fingers in the middle. I have tried playing scales slowly, keeping my hands low to the fretboard, but this does not solve my problem when I am doing legato. Any help? .

That happens to me even in regular playing, not just in legato...maybe its because of the fact that my action is a 1/3" off the fretboard....but whatever, maybe try to work at it slowly and build it up.