I've been trying to create some trance music lately...but I don't understand some of the basic effects and whatnot...like how a trance artist will hold one synth note down for many measures and it will change shape like the high ends are being raised or something, does anyone know what this is?
Usually on a synth or keyboard, on one side or another is a dial which "bends" the tone up or down, like bending strings on a guitar.

At least, if I understand what you're saying.
Play the man, Master Ridley; we shall this day light such a candle, by God's grace, in England, as I trust shall never be put out.
It could be a pitch shift on the keyboard like most models have, but some synths have fade which creates a kind of feeling of shifting pitch...

if I ad seen this earlier I could have made more sense, but I'm quite tired right now.
Rag Mop Do Do Duh DoDo Dedo Do!!!!!

R_A_G_G_M_O_P_P

RAGMOP
Quote by doggy_hat

Metropolis, he's talking about Trance music, not Metal.

Not the whole song...Just the first four minutes of it.
Quote by doggy_hat
Still, it's like recommending an In Flames song, when somebody asks about classical because the intro has a violin.

Not really, Dream Theater has a very prominent Keyboard/Synth part in most of their songs.

Not exactly trance, but its no less helpful.

R_A_G_G_M_O_P_P

RAGMOP
Quote by doggy_hat
The up and down sound is usually either a LFO, or a parameter like the Filter Resonance slowly being tweaked.

Metropolis, he's talking about Trance music, not Metal.

What's an LFO? Hmm, is there any articles on here that explain those effects, how to use them in different software, etc, or on any other website for that matter?
Quote by MetropolisPt3
Have you even heard the intro to Octavarium??

It aint ****in trance dude. Have you heard trance?
Soon you will sit on the bench
of those who deny I have my soul
You sell a dream you create
Condemned by what you condemned before
Smooth are the words you sing down and high
Underground is your joy your laws
Quote by fattyDQ
What's an LFO? Hmm, is there any articles on here that explain those effects, how to use them in different software, etc, or on any other website for that matter?

I'm going to come off as an asshole, but Have you actually used or even own a synth?

If you don't know LFO's, envelopes, etc; off the top of your head you may want to pick up a book about them, there are plenty of helpful ones. Just check ebay....

to actually answer your questions its a Low frequency oscillator.

R_A_G_G_M_O_P_P

RAGMOP
Whatever, I'm on Guitar website. I should expect people to talk about Metal with synths, when the topic is trance.

Quote by fattyDQ

An LFO stands for a Low Frequency Oscillator, what it does is generate a wave of low frequency (hence the name) that alters a parameter (such as the mix between the synths oscillators)
Last edited by doggy_hat at Jul 15, 2008,
Quote by Red33
I'm going to come off as an asshole, but Have you actually used or even own a synth?

If you don't know LFO's, envelopes, etc; off the top of your head you may want to pick up a book about them, there are plenty of helpful ones. Just check ebay....

to actually answer your questions its a Low frequency oscillator.

I don't own one, I program them with software to use them, but that's what I'm trying to learn to do basically, to use such effects for making trance music.
Quote by MedicreDemon
It aint ****in trance dude. Have you heard trance?

Obviously not.
I never knew trance was a similar genre to techno
Last edited by MetropolisPt3 at Jul 15, 2008,
Quote by fattyDQ
I don't own one, I program them with software to use them, but that's what I'm trying to learn to do basically, to use such effects for making trance music.

You mean like a Modular?

R_A_G_G_M_O_P_P

RAGMOP
Quote by MetropolisPt3
Obviously not.
I never knew trance was a subgenre of techno

It's not, it's a sub genre of EDM (Electronic dance music ) as is techno.
And both trance and techno have dozens of sub genres within them.
^Like Fruity Loops or Logic.
Quote by MedicreDemon
It's not, it's a sub genre of EDM (Electronic dance music ) as is techno.
And both trance and techno have dozens of sub genres within them.

I know I edited my post like 2 seconds before you posted
Ok, so just forget everything I've posted in this thread and I'll leave quietly.
Quote by doggy_hat
I believe that he's referring to a DAW with softsynths.

Ya you're probably right.

TS could you post your rig please?

R_A_G_G_M_O_P_P

RAGMOP
Quote by doggy_hat
I believe that he's referring to a DAW with softsynths.

Correct
I mean I have a ton of customizable synth vsts as well I just don't know how to use them, how to edit them to get the sounds I want. That's what I'm asking basically, is there somewhere I can learn about this sort of thing?
Quote by MetropolisPt3
I know I edited my post like 2 seconds before you posted
Ok, so just forget everything I've posted in this thread and I'll leave quietly.

Good on ya, everyone seems to refer to all dance music is techno.

Quote by fattyDQ
I mean I have a ton of customizable synth vsts as well I just don't know how to use them, how to edit them to get the sounds I want. That's what I'm asking basically, is there somewhere I can learn about this sort of thing?

to be honest I just tweak the presets, you should be able to find tutorials online.
If you want help and have AIM, my address is amishdawg808. I produce drum n bass, dubstep, and hiphop, but technique is universal
You can try googling for tutorials on softsynths or looking on google. And just google for articles about programming synths, and production. And do internet searches for each part of the synth you use(like filter, Envelope, LFO, ect.) You're not going to learn it overnight, synthesis can be pretty complicated. Overtime you'll just learn how all the different steps of synthesis work together, then you'll be able to program the sounds you want. untill then, just mess around and read up.

Oh and just learn Subtractive Synthesis for now, it's the most basic type of synthesis, and easiest to learn.
Quote by MastaBassist10
If you want help and have AIM, my address is amishdawg808. I produce drum n bass, dubstep, and hiphop, but technique is universal

Don't listen to this guy all he does is insult what you make rather than motivate you.
I have a basic idea of LFO's and whatnot, I've been ****ing around with some synths for a few hours. Now my question is how can I record live my manipulating the effects on the synth as it plays the same pattern...if this makes sense, lol.
Quote by fattyDQ
I have a basic idea of LFO's and whatnot, I've been ****ing around with some synths for a few hours. Now my question is how can I record live my manipulating the effects on the synth as it plays the same pattern...if this makes sense, lol.

Well, you never told us what DAW you were using, you need to learn to use the automation. Just search for a tutorial on it specific to what program you're using.
Quote by fattyDQ
I've been trying to create some trance music lately...but I don't understand some of the basic effects and whatnot...like how a trance artist will hold one synth note down for many measures and it will change shape like the high ends are being raised or something, does anyone know what this is?

Thats called synthesis.
You take one or two (or more) different type of waveforms at different (or same) frequencies and mix them together. Then you use a frequency filter to get the sorta sound you're looking for. Then you throw an LFO (low frequency oscillator) on it to modulate the sounds pitch/filter frequency/etc thus creating movement in the sound in a periodic manner. And then finally pass it through the ADSR amp envelope to create the final sound.
Yup, its not very simple...
Then throw some reverb on it, maybe some delay on it. Pan it to where you want it to be in the mix, add a funky bass line...

And then finally put a banging Donk on it!

You've got your Techno track!!
Quote by af_the_fragile

You've got your Techno track!!

Too bad hes making trance.
Quote by MedicreDemon
Too bad hes making trance.

Aah, same thing pretty much..
Just remove the Donk then!!
Actually keep it for a while n then remove it n put it back on...

Add some more synth leads, just this time around increase the Attack and Release time in the ADSR envelope...
More reverb.. More delay.
Take another synth, process it through an arppegiator, more reverb. Pan it to another decent place in the mix.
Reduce the tempo of the track to something like 90-120bpm.

Just for trace add like 5 more things to the track to give it more body and ambience...
Quote by af_the_fragile

Reduce the tempo of the track to something like 90-120bpm.

Trance is around 140-150 actually. He needs a gated bassline and 4x4 kick pattern with hi hat on every off beat.
Some synths have a vector control which usually alters all sorts of envelopes and modulations
Drive me home Jeeves
Quote by MedicreDemon
Trance is around 140-150 actually. He needs a gated bassline and 4x4 kick pattern with hi hat on every off beat.

Thats apparently the Donk!

But that aside...
Hmm... probably a faster tempo.. well, i'm not into trance production anyway and neither have i herd a lot of it (aside from BT), but trace usually means loads of polyphonic synth leads playing all over the track...
The leads can be gated too for some generic trance lead sounds...