Page 1 of 2
Style as in fashion? Mental pathway of originality? Or just the way you play it?
The quality 'nothing' (as in the absence of space, time, matter, life, and anything) exists.

Dude, get out of the mosh pit! Go hardcore dance in the corner while you cut yourself!
Think of some guitarists you really like and really listen to what they do. Just sit down and spend some time improving and learning some basic theory. (It's a pain, I know, but it's worth it in the long run)
Forget everything about music you know. Bands, guitarists, Theory, history, anything.

Pick up your guitar, and play what feels right.

Of course, thats impossible, you would have to be completely sealed off from society untill you are able to play guitar.
write one really good riff, and usually what you write after that will usually be played in relatively similar techniques and overall sound
listen to all my favorite guitarists... kinda take riffs from all of them... i'm not going to lie i'm not exactly the most original guitarist out there but i'd say i have a certain style.
If you're in a war, instead of throwing a hand grenade at the enemy, throw one of those small pumpkins. Maybe it'll make everyone think how stupid war is, and while they are thinking, you can throw a real grenade at them.
Get a ton of influences and take the stuff you like from each influence, and then try to combine the ideas and melodies you like the most, and then try to think of your own ideas, then combine them together.
Quote by doggy_hat
Don't learn covers. It's hard to find your own sound when you're too busy learning others.

Very good point right here.

Johnny's in the basement, mixin' up the medicine.
I'm on the pavement, thinkin' 'bout the government.
Quote by doggy_hat
Don't learn covers. It's hard to find your own sound when you're too busy learning others.

Yep, I made that mistake. Play the guitar. Don't imitate, you can do that later.
A dash of jazz, with some thrash, thrown in a blender with a bit of shred, and voila
Quote by metalangelx
what to do to make your own guitar style

if its your own style you shouldnt be asking other people
Quote by HeretiK538
Totally awesome, I love you.

Have my children.

Quote by LucasGtrGod
A dash of jazz, with some thrash, thrown in a blender with a bit of shred, and voila

Formula for originality! Brilliant!
Quote by smb
Nothing. I'm not a guitarist.

because your arms are too small?

Yo don't listen to these guys, just learn pentatonics and scoop your mids. nobody's done that before, you could be the first.
Quote by allislost
I would say that aetherspear speaks nothing but the truth.
UG Blues Group
UG Reggae & Dub Group
Need Professional Mixing for cheap? Need Vinyl to Digital Transfers? PM Me.
mix all the techniques and elements of your influences and you'll have your style.

ex:
Hendrix's overdrive tone
Morello's tremolo and effects
Bellamy's moody scales
--------------------------------------
mix it all together, and that's a unique style.
Quote by mrwaffles
Just listen to HOW you play the guitar. Even if you're playing someone else's song, you probably add your own flavor to it and whatnot. I do, at least.

this man speaks the truth
is this a good idea to make my own style by my your favorite guitarist styles and mix them into one
Quote by doggy_hat

This isn't exactly true, as my band does many covers, but we have our own distinct sound.

EDIT: To contribute, just listen to the bands/guitarists you like and try to emulate them and fit them into your own style. IE my band plays an alt-rock/indie[ish] mix. However my favorite bands are At the Gates, Municipal Waste and Megadeth, so basically thrash and death metal. But when we're writing songs I find ways to fit those influences into the style of my band. It's all trial and error basically.
Last edited by mattj2192 at Jul 15, 2008,
Quote by heavensassassin
write one really good riff, and usually what you write after that will usually be played in relatively similar techniques and overall sound

I've written a couple riffs and they all are extremely different from each other.
thanks guys but i know some guitarist maybe not as u guys but would good other artists that would to infulence
here some infulences hendrix ,srv , van halen, slash, malnsteen, micheal romeo and randy roads
Last edited by metalangelx at Jul 15, 2008,
Quote by doggy_hat

I disagree. If you don't learn songs by other people, you are going to end up playing the same old stuff and the same old licks over and over. When you learn songs from other people, it adds to a little part of your style. Your style, essentially, is a big mix of the styles of all the other guitarists you've listened to and learned from.
New To Town With A Made Up Name

In The Angel's City

Chasing Fortune And Fame
09/03/2012
Quote by Alter-Bridge
I disagree. If you don't learn songs by other people, you are going to end up playing the same old stuff and the same old licks over and over. When you learn songs from other people, it adds to a little part of your style. Your style, essentially, is a big mix of the styles of all the other guitarists you've listened to and learned from.

i agree with that, but one thing i might add is dont look at the tabs so often, try to figure out some of the bits on your own.
Quote by AtThisVelocity
Your crying like a baby to the pit....You have pretty much ruined it for yourself.
Quote by exylum
because your arms are too small?
yes...and having only two fingers on each hand makes it hard to fret chords or hold a pick

I can manage bass though
Yeah all the people saying to avoid covers are very right.

Ive not learnt a song in about 2 years now , and my compositional skills just keep on getting better and better , aswell of course as my technique. I think once you start to concentrate SOLELY on yourself , your songs , your playing etc is when you will actually become a guitarist.
" Nature has given us two ears, two eyes, and but one tongue-to the end that we should hear and see more than we speak. "
- Socrates

Winner of the John Lewis and Cambridgeshire Music young musician Award 2008
Have your own personal setup and equipment, and play in a certain way. You'll automatically develop little nuances in your playing that no-one else has, as long as you don't only play other people's material to perfection.

EDIT: Learning covers is an important part of playing, people. You can learn a lot about songwriting by studying other people's methods.
I play by my own rules. And I have one rule; There are no rules... but if there are, they're there to be broken. Even this one.

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman
Sigs are wastes of my precious screen space.

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT
Page 1 of 2