Page 1 of 3
what gutiarists do you think people hate too much to realize that they are actually pretty good.

let me start, Kerry King, its usually the whole "omg all he does is just play random notes' on a lot of solos yes but he actually can solo, check out the south of heaven solo and the dead skin mask solo. both use actual melodies and are pretty good, its usually Hannemen that does the random notes thing.

Nergal from behemoth, the problem with behemoth is their obnoxious ass fans that think they are the end all be all of metal, they are actually pretty good and have some really good songs, check out Nergals solos on Conquer all, and Inner Sanctum (badass behemoth song if you ask me) both are good ****ing solos.
EDIT: before you post *reported* note that this is different from the other similar thread in that the other thread is about guitarists you hate whereas this one is about guitarists you like and everyone hates. also naming an obscure shredder doesnt work either, this is about hated guitarists
The Mitch Clem formula
1)make jokes about rancid and NOFX (as if they dont already make fun of themselves)
2)make obvious punk puns, possibly related to food
3)make fun of Rancid and NOFX again
4)??????
5)PROFIT (and an army of internet fanboys)
Last edited by Fuzzbox91 at Jul 15, 2008,
reported, sorry there was already a thread just like it...

woops, didnt see over hated, i didn't put a report in.

and i have to say im not the biggest fan of him but he does get a lot crap. Sinister gates, I just find avenged sevenfold holding him back
overhated?? Definetely synester Gates, and A7X, just listen to city of evil, this album is even more amazing when you realize that they are all about 21-22 when they recorded it
(they were 18 when they put out 7th trumpet)
Quote by bass-boy-garith
Quote by guitarhero_764
I guess I'm kind of like a hippie. I'm anti-war, do drugs, and like communism.
Your not a hippie, just a ****ing moron.
Quote by Ghold125
reported, sorry there was already a thread just like it...

woops, didnt see over hated, i didn't put a report in.

and i have to say im not the biggest fan of him but he does get a lot crap. Sinister gates, I just find avenged sevenfold holding him back

you ****

ill agree with you about syn gates. hes not bad, i just hate his band.
The Mitch Clem formula
1)make jokes about rancid and NOFX (as if they dont already make fun of themselves)
4)??????
I personally like King's solos. They sound so f*cking menacing. The South of Heaven solo is badass too.
Gear:

Guitars:
Takamine Gs330S
Fender Standard Stratocaster
Ibanez RG3EXQM1
Epiphone SG G-310

Amps:
Crate Palomino V16

Pedals
Ibanez TS9DX
Line 6 Tonecore Uber Metal
id say herman li. i dont think hes great but hes not half as bad as some people have made him out to be.
Quote by no_thing101
id say herman li. i dont think hes great but hes not half as bad as some people have made him out to be.

Yeah, he's definitely not the greatest guitarist ever, but he is pretty damned good which a lot of people seem to forget.
MIJ Jackson Kelly
Fender Frontman 15G
Quote by Fuzzbox91
what gutiarists do you think people hate too much to realize that they are actually pretty good.

let me start, Kerry King, its usually the whole "omg all he does is just play random notes' on a lot of solos yes but he actually can solo, check out the south of heaven solo and the dead skin mask solo. both use actual melodies and are pretty good, its usually Hannemen that does the random notes thing.

Nergal from behemoth, the problem with behemoth is their obnoxious ass fans that think they are the end all be all of metal, they are actually pretty good and have some really good songs, check out Nergals solos on Conquer all, and Inner Sanctum (badass behemoth song if you ask me) both are good ****ing solos.
EDIT: before you post *reported* note that this is different from the other similar thread in that the other thread is about guitarists you hate whereas this one is about guitarists you like and everyone hates. also naming an obscure shredder doesnt work either, this is about hated guitarists

People hate Behehmoth?

This is all new to me...
I do have to agree with the synester gates thing.

Malmsteen gets ripped on all the time too, but he's more respected with his playing.
Quote by WhereArtEsteban
A lot of people hate Jack White. I dislike these people.

This. Jack White is incredible.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Granted I love Slayer, Kerry King still sucks royally. The man has no sense of key. I don't know if thats what they were going for, but it sounds like a giant ass sandwich most of the time. There was a period, which someone said before where he nailed it. South of Heaven and Seasons were his best. After that he sucked again.

Gates is just straight up horrendous no matter which way you slice it. I don't care how young he was when the album was made. There were tons of guitar players who started younger, and were leaps and bounds better.
Gibson.
Quote by ThrashIsGreat
Granted I love Slayer, Kerry King still sucks royally. The man has no sense of key. I don't know if thats what they were going for, but it sounds like a giant ass sandwich most of the time. There was a period, which someone said before where he nailed it. South of Heaven and Seasons were his best. After that he sucked again.

Gates is just straight up horrendous no matter which way you slice it. I don't care how young he was when the album was made. There were tons of guitar players who started younger, and were leaps and bounds better.

1)those two albums and the fact that he still can play the stuff from them prooves that he is not a bad guitarist when he applies himself
2)Gates isnt amazing but he in no way sucks, listen to the song MIA (if you can get passed Shadows annoying as hell ****ty vocals) from 4:40 to 5:50, thats who you are saying is horrendous. I hate a7x by the way so this isnt coming from a fan boy of any sorts.
The Mitch Clem formula
4)??????
i would say li but he really just makes it worse on his self and makes him seem more stupid.
My Gear:
Jackson DK2M
PRS Paul Allender Sig
Epiphone SG Special
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Micro Cube
I personaly don't see why so many people hate sinister gates so much. I think he's a great guitarist, and even if you dont like him, or a7x, whats the point of talking about it? Talking about how much you hate the band isn't guna change anything, I hate alot of bands, I just don't waist my time talking about them all the time.
Quote by dcdossett65
Life is too short to worry about this crap.

Who.

Cares.
I'm a pretty big Slayer fan myself, but I feel that King just shouldn't play lead. For what they're playing, he's a pretty good rythem player though, and the same goes for Jeff. As said, they had 2 albums with descent lead playing, but what the hell happened after those two?

I'd have the say Yngwie gets alot of ****, but either way I feel he was/is a pretty good guitarist. He might be a dick all the time, but taking a look back at all his older songs, it shows me he really is a good musician.

Both Matt and Corey of Trivium get alot of **** for the whole, 'they try to hard to sound like Metallica' thing, but either way I feel the two of them are good musicians as well. I just think they haven't found exactly what they're going for with there music, but either way they're good guitarist for there age.

Dave Mustaine gets alot of BS too. I personally am not the biggest fan of him, but as a guitarist I think he's good. Well, I think he's a good rythem player anyways..

And as we all know, alot of people hate on Dime as well, but IMO he was a good guitarist. He inspired alot of the newer guitarist we see now, and that's something I think alot of people should show him respect for.
ill agree King and Jeffs playing was only good on those two albums, but still two albums of great lead playing at least says that they can do it if they want to. as for Nergal, maybe its just the other forum i go to sometimes, everyone there is like "nergal sucks, behemoth sucks" i agree about DIme, i used to think he is overrated but as i got into pantera more i realize he is an amazing guitarist, he has the perfect blend of great technique and a lot of style and soul in his playing. his rythm is good too.
The Mitch Clem formula
4)??????
Quote by 666_Pounder
Yeah I've never heard anyone give Nergal any ****.

Agreed.

TS, I bet I know where they are saying this... wild quess... Harmony Central.
nope
The Mitch Clem formula
4)??????
Synyster Gates

If you hate a7x that's fine but I'm stunned as to how some people could call Gates a crappy guitarist.

EDIT: I do wish he'd change his name, though. No one even knows how to spell it correctly. Hell, I don't even know if I did.
Schecter C-1 XXX (with SD Dave Mustaine Livewire Actives)
Roland Cube 60
Prince is pretty hated on because... well... he's Prince.
GANGSTAAAAAAS!

Chika! Chika! YEAH YEAH!

Quote by SG6578
That is regular hard maple...I'm 100% f*cking d*ck licking sure.
So basically in this thread name a popular guitarist that you like?

Every guitarist has his fair share of 'haters' because they'll always be stylistically different than others, and those others will just not understand the beauty in what the various guitarists do. I understand the reason for the thread, but every guitarist has his fair share of hate, so you really could put anyone.

And on that note, I'll say Jimi Hendrix. People see him as 'bla bla bla over-rated' nowadays, and back when he was still alive he had a huge falling out with the public after he decided to stop the showmanship and start standing there and playing guitar. In his own lifetime, Hendrix was hated on for deciding to stop all the bs, and play some real guitar, and now that he's gone, people only listen to the surface and decide he was sloppy, or simple or etc.

More than hating him for his playing style or the band he's in, people hated Hendrix for deciding to focus on music. He's the most overhated guitarist.

*Flameshield*
Quote by Sharck

Every guitarist has his fair share of 'haters' because they'll always be stylistically different than others, and those others will just not understand the beauty in what the various guitarists do. I understand the reason for the thread, but every guitarist has his fair share of hate, so you really could put anyone.

And on that note, I'll say Jimi Hendrix. People see him as 'bla bla bla over-rated' nowadays, and back when he was still alive he had a huge falling out with the public after he decided to stop the showmanship and start standing there and playing guitar. In his own lifetime, Hendrix was hated on for deciding to stop all the bs, and play some real guitar, and now that he's gone, people only listen to the surface and decide he was sloppy, or simple or etc.

More than hating him for his playing style or the band he's in, people hated Hendrix for deciding to focus on music. He's the most overhated guitarist.

*Flameshield*

what?
Malmsteen. Possibly the most hated guitarist / shredder on UG. If you ever see him play live, you will be in awe of the prowess with which he plays all these impossible guitar lines. He just rattles them off as if he was drinking his coffee and perrier....
Why did Pat Metheney cross the road? He didn't, his hair got in the way
--
Member #1 of Ibanez > You club. PM me to join
Quote by J.MitMetallica
Malmsteen. Possibly the most hated guitarist / shredder on UG. If you ever see him play live, you will be in awe of the prowess with which he plays all these impossible guitar lines. He just rattles them off as if he was drinking his coffee and perrier....

My thoughts exactly.

Not many musicians can pull off playing with an orchastra, inspire a new generation of shredders and still be hated so much.
Kirk Hammett. Love him or hate him, he gets no respect, at least on these forums, and he's far, far better than most people here would like to believe.
Herman li. The people who don't like him are that way because they take his music more seriously than he does. He's actually a really chill guy and he even pokes fun at how dragonforce messes up live in the "making of guitar hero" video.
its gotta be Syn Gates. Granted, he used to play extremely sloppy, but he has cleaned up his act a lot since a few years ago. His sweeping is a lot cleaner, and, hell just listen to the guitar solo in Afterlife. And he plays it perfectly live,...now.
Peavey XXX combo *upgraded screen resistors, Tung-Sol's, and 6L6's*
Schecter Syn Std. * modded, scalloped, and worn*
Schecter C-1 Elite *still sexy*
Ibanez AEL 12-string

"He who sticks his dick in peanut butter is fucking nuts"
Quote by Sharck

*Flameshield*

i dont like hendrix's music at all but he is in no way hated
he has so many fanboys that they make him seem like he was the greatest and they still do
he is overrated
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharck

*Flameshield*

+1

Quote by mikey son
i dont like hendrix's music at all but he is in no way hated
he has so many fanboys that they make him seem like he was the greatest and they still do
he is overrated

FAIL
instruments:
B.C Rich Warlock-Body Art Collection-June 2003
Ibanez SZ520QM
Epiphone PR-100 Acoustic
Squire Strat (way sweeter than it sounds)
Gear:
Line 6 Spider 3 HD75
Peavey Mark III Head
Peavey 1x15 Cabinet
Quote by bjovi400
its gotta be Syn Gates. Granted, he used to play extremely sloppy, but he has cleaned up his act a lot since a few years ago. His sweeping is a lot cleaner, and, hell just listen to the guitar solo in Afterlife. And he plays it perfectly live,...now.

Sweeping = not really

Playing = Yeah, he cleaned it up.

Creative = meh.... City of evil was creative...new album eww...

It mine seem I don't like Syn Gates but there will alway be that part of me that does because of City of Evil.

Still beats me from this day how he goes from City of Evil to Avenge sevenfold(album).
Quote by codyshredfoo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharck

*Flameshield*

+1

FAIL

cool
Quote by J.MitMetallica

agreed, people flame him just because of being arrogant on stage but he has some awesome stuff and he is an incredible player plus his stuff was innovative
Herman Li.

He isn't the best player ever, but he gets waaay more abuse than he derserves. When people aren't ripping the piss out of him because of his accent it's all "He R sl0ppY lol!!1!!!!". People see one video of him playing and think he sucks, or that he can't play his own material. Watch the Young Guitar DVD clips and prepare to be proven wrong and laughed at by me.
I don't even like A7X or Synyster Gates, every time I've heard him talk or read an interview with him he comes across as a complete idiot... but I still have to admit he probably gets more hate than he really deserves. Do I like their music? Not really. But he isn't as bad as people make him out to be.

With Yngwie Malmsteen, he does get a ton of hate, but none of it I've ever seen has been about his playing. It's his personality that people bash him for, and it's entirely justified. The man, in his public persona anyway, is a joke.

Kirk Hammett gets a lot of undeserved heat as well. People exaggerate his nuances/flaws, like how often he uses pentatonics or wah, more than are the actual case. He may not be the best songwriter (that's James) but he considering he writes leads/solos for pretty much every song, on every album (except two, Kill 'Em All and St. Anger) that Metallica has done... that's damn impressive. Especially with how good most of them are. Even more so, he has a great way of making extremely memorable solos, whether they're melodic, thrashy, or even bluesy.

I'm not a big Pantera or Dimebag fan, but he's had an interesting recent fandom. He was probably under-appreciated before his death. But then after he died, everyone and their mom worshipped him. And now, people are sick of that, and bash him more than he deserves. People need to ignore the fanboys and like the man for what he was. Not perfect, or the end-all be-all, but a unique, great, and influential player to a lot of people within that genre.

I don't even like Trivium that much, but I think the hate for the metalcore trend (the way Trivium became known), impresses too much on how people view this band. Yeah, they were definitely metalcore on the Ascendancy, some people love it, others hate it. Then they went "thrash" on The Crusade, and definitely showed their Metallica influences (and even some Anthrax on "Anthem" and Dimebag on a lot of solos). But whether or not you like the music they make, for pretty young guys, they're great players. It'll be interesting to see what their new album brings.

I wouldn't say Alexi Laiho is overhated, except among certain people, but he does get a lot of undeserved flak. A lot of it has to do with Bodom's recent growth in popularity, especially in the USA, and the horde of idiotic trend-following scene kid "fans" that came with it. This happens with all kinds of bands, and once these kids move onto the next trend, that'll die down. People just get annoyed when these idiot kids keep calling him the god of guitar and the best player ever, which he's not. So they bash Alexi.

The other people who bash him (and the band) more than is called for are those who were all about Bodom's original neoclassical sound, and can't stand the fact that they've grown into a different kind of sound. The fact is that they made Something Wild when they were teenage kids (which is amazing). And Hatebreeder and Follow the Reaper when they were barely in their 20's. Like with any band who starts out younger, it took them a while to find the sound they felt most comfortable with. But as it always is with fans, some can't accept change.

And as far as Herman Li goes, I hate Dragonforce and I still have to concede that he gets more bashing than is called for. Not because I think he's that amazing, but just because the amount of shit he gets is almost unprecedented amongst musicians.
Last edited by Delanoir at Jul 15, 2008,
Quote by Sharck

*Flameshield*

the thing is, he was amazing for his generation, but thanks to thrash, metal and the '80's, hes like a 18 yr old guitarist who gets stoned every other hour...
Quote by bass-boy-garith
Quote by guitarhero_764
I guess I'm kind of like a hippie. I'm anti-war, do drugs, and like communism.
Your not a hippie, just a ****ing moron.
Page 1 of 3