I play punk, grunge, classic rock, metal.

I can't decide between the Fender Deluxe Active Jazz Bass, the Fender Mustang Bass, the Fender Jaguar Bass, or the Fender 51 Precision Bass. I have played all, but still can't decide. How are the pickups on the Mustang?
the weakest one in that list is the Jag. the finish is very restricting of hand movement for me. they might as well coat it in double sided tape.
the Deluxe Fender Active will probably be the most versatile, and will get a nice punch. however, I think the 51 would fit classic rock a little better, if by classic rock you mean bluesy 60's stuff, and I think the Mustang is better for punk.
I find myself personally thinking Active Jazz would be the best.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
have you played all of these to find out which one you like the best?

I would recomend the Active Jazz though, I own one and I love it

EDIT: whoops, I guess I should have actually read all of your first post
Last edited by Ryker24 at Jul 15, 2008,
I played all, but only got to play the Active Jazz for a couple minutes. The Jaguar's switch was messed up, and when it was down, it would mute everything.

How long have you had your Active Jazz Bass?
I just got it about a month ago actually but it plays like a dream, the first gig I used it at was last week and a few people complemented me on my tone. On another note, I really dont care for jags, with all the knobs and switches and what not
Personally I would suggest the Fender Deluxe Active Precision over any that you have listed. Great feel overall, and tremendous tonal versatility. Plus you can still get that classic P-bass tone, which is perfect for classic rock and punk.
I got in everyone's hostile little face. Yes, these are bruises from fighting. Yes, I'm comfortable with that. I am enlightened.
Funky Muthafucka Of The Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 To Join.
UG Irish Clan-Póg mo thóin
Quote by Caustic
Beast Within, you're awesome.
the weakest one in that list is the Jag. the finish is very restricting of hand movement for me. they might as well coat it in double sided tape.

If you dont like the finish on the neck you can just sand the laquer off. I did it with my jazz bass and it worked wonders. I suggest the active jazz bass.
Last edited by ponis at Jul 15, 2008,
Quote by ponis

If you dont like the finish on the neck you can just sand the laquer off. I did it with my jazz bass and it worked wonders. I suggest the active jazz bass.

but that makes neck warping more likely.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard

Quote by Beast_Within
Personally I would suggest the Fender Deluxe Active Precision over any that you have listed. Great feel overall, and tremendous tonal versatility.

...the P bass isn't that varied in tone, I think you have the Jazz and Precision mixed up. You can make a Jazz sounds somewhat like a P, but not the the other way round.

Go for the Jazz
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
The Mustang is quite a specific sounding bass, I own one as my main axe, and the shorter scale make quick runs really fun and easy, the pickup is quite warm sounding, but not as bassy as the regular P pickup...

here's a review I wrote up and posted on this very site about my Mustang,I think its pretty informative:
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/reviews/bass_guitars/fender/mustang_bass/index.html

and for some soundclips, here's my bands profile, I play my Mustang on all the recordings, it's pretty grungey music, so may give you a good idea of how it'll sound playing the kinda stuff you like:
http://artists.ultimate-guitar.com/feveredegos/

hope that helps, although you cant go wrong with a Jazz bass
Quote by the humanity
I'm just joking Moog. you know nothing can tear our friendship apart, not even the fact we are miles apart, I am right there beside you, yelling, "Chug it, ya little wimp!"
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-QuiltTop-Jazz-Bass-24?sku=515038

If you've got the budget for it (and since you were considering the jag, I think you do) take a look at this bass.

More than a bargain at that price.
Proud Owner of a Fender Jazz 24 V

Private Simmons of the Red vs. Blue club. PM Fret13 to join.

Things to come:
Carvin or Trace-elliot rig
EBS Valvedrive (Newest edition )
^How the hell do you beat me to it every time? I don't understand Yeah, anyway, you'd have to be mental to be considering the Deluxe Active Jazz, but have the budget for a Jaguar and not buy the Jazz 24. It's really the Deluxe Active Jazz, but better.
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
^How the hell do you beat me to it every time? I don't understand Yeah, anyway, you'd have to be mental to be considering the Deluxe Active Jazz, but have the budget for a Jaguar and not buy the Jazz 24. It's really the Deluxe Active Jazz, but better.

You can have the next one, ok?
Proud Owner of a Fender Jazz 24 V

Private Simmons of the Red vs. Blue club. PM Fret13 to join.

Things to come:
Carvin or Trace-elliot rig
EBS Valvedrive (Newest edition )
Quote by welcom2duhjungl
Mustang, because it's sexy.

You sir, are a very very intelligent man, with excellent taste in basses

EDIT: Looking at your profile, it would appear you are a girl, thus I change my statement:

You Madam, are a very very intelligent woman, with excellent taste in basses

thus, order is restored to the bass forum
Quote by the humanity
I'm just joking Moog. you know nothing can tear our friendship apart, not even the fact we are miles apart, I am right there beside you, yelling, "Chug it, ya little wimp!"
Last edited by skippy_moogoose at Jul 15, 2008,
Quote by ChemicalFire
...the P bass isn't that varied in tone, I think you have the Jazz and Precision mixed up. You can make a Jazz sounds somewhat like a P, but not the the other way round.

Go for the Jazz

You, my good sir, are not familiar with the MIA Deluxe Precision bass. Along with the classic P-bass pickup configuration, you get a humbucker at the bridge. Greatly increasing the tonal versatility of the instrument. You can get a very modern sound as well as the classic P-bass tone. And no, you can never truly make a Jazz sound like a Precision, regardless of how much you fiddle with the knobs.
I got in everyone's hostile little face. Yes, these are bruises from fighting. Yes, I'm comfortable with that. I am enlightened.
Funky Muthafucka Of The Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 To Join.
UG Irish Clan-Póg mo thóin
Quote by Caustic
Beast Within, you're awesome.
Quote by Beast_Within
And no, you can never truly make a Jazz sound like a Precision, regardless of how much you fiddle with the knobs.

Thank you. From the bottom of my heart. I was beginning to think I as the only one that felt that way. Yes--the Jazz is versatile, but I will always own a P bass or clone because that tone is unique to that instrument.

The '51 is a great instrument btw, and I love it each time I play one, but it is a very, very specific tone that I am not sure would work with metal. It works well with every other genre you listed though. I'm not a fan of short scales (as you can see from my sig). I would definitely give the MIA Deluxe Precision bass a whirl. It may be versatile enough to give you the sound you want for metal and would fit amazingly well with your other genres of choice.
Quote by anarkee
Thank you. From the bottom of my heart. I was beginning to think I as the only one that felt that way. Yes--the Jazz is versatile, but I will always own a P bass or clone because that tone is unique to that instrument.

The '51 is a great instrument btw, and I love it each time I play one, but it is a very, very specific tone that I am not sure would work with metal. It works well with every other genre you listed though. I'm not a fan of short scales (as you can see from my sig). I would definitely give the MIA Deluxe Precision bass a whirl. It may be versatile enough to give you the sound you want for metal and would fit amazingly well with your other genres of choice.

some effects might give the 51 the neccessary tone...
fitzy, can they?
and Tam, many amazing bassists used short scales. Jack Casady used a Guild Starfire until he met up with Alembic. Bill Wyan enjoyed Mustangs, and Dee Dee Ramone had one too. James Jamerson occasionally used a Fender V.
they may lack some sustain and clarity, but they are not to be thrown aside as a whole. If you don't mind me saying so.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

My issue with short scales in general are from a playing and for lack of a better term, cultural perspective. Like Miss G, I really resent walking into a shop and having someone look at me and immediately start showing me short scales because of my sex and size. Yes, I know that's THEIR issue not mine, but it does irk me.

More importantly, I am not overly fond of the tone of most short scales and I find them a bit constricting to play. Like I said above, I'm not fond of them. That's me. Everyone else is entitled to their opinion and as you stated, they work very well for others. I'm not dismissing them outright, but they're not for me.
Quote by anarkee
My issue with short scales in general are from a playing and for lack of a better term, cultural perspective. Like Miss G, I really resent walking into a shop and having someone look at me and immediately start showing me short scales because of my sex and size. Yes, I know that's THEIR issue not mine, but it does irk me.

More importantly, I am not overly fond of the tone of most short scales and I find them a bit constricting to play. Like I said above, I'm not fond of them. That's me. Everyone else is entitled to their opinion and as you stated, they work very well for others. I'm not dismissing them outright, but they're not for me.

OK. I get what you mean.

we all have opinions.

you must admit though, streches are a bit easier...
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

Quote by skippy_moogoose
You sir, are a very very intelligent man, with excellent taste in basses

EDIT: Looking at your profile, it would appear you are a girl, thus I change my statement:

You Madam, are a very very intelligent woman, with excellent taste in basses

thus, order is restored to the bass forum

Tis fine.
;d
Quote by the humanity
some effects might give the 51 the neccessary tone...
fitzy, can they?
and Tam, many amazing bassists used short scales. Jack Casady used a Guild Starfire until he met up with Alembic. Bill Wyan enjoyed Mustangs, and Dee Dee Ramone had one too. James Jamerson occasionally used a Fender V.
they may lack some sustain and clarity, but they are not to be thrown aside as a whole. If you don't mind me saying so.

Can't forget one of the more prominent figures in bass: Stanley Clarke. His Alembics are primarily short-scale.

I find my Ibanez GAX150B (a short-scale) a unique bass to play, merely because I can exert more upon the instrument, primarily speed-wise and power when slapping.

As previously mentioned, it's all preference, and I can somewhat relate to Anarkee's feeling with short-scale basses, after seeing girls who walk into Guitar Center looking for a bass being led directly to the short-scale section.

Referring to the TS, The Fender Active Jazz Deluxe would be my pick from that group, though I would recommend the Fender Deluxe P-Bass. It's versatile with the added J pickup at the bridge, yet still retains the P-bass sound prominent in any rock setting. I'd switch out the gold pickguard, though...

Grayedit: The Fender Aerodyne Classic P-Bass is actually quite nice compared to the Deluxe P-Bass. It's the same price as the Jaguar however, which is the priciest of your choices.
Back to the classic avatar.

Quote by KISSguitarist
You are the best writer ever Graybass. Sig me for that. But i love you! You should make a book!

Quote by Phil_Bass_Boy
Jesus christ, your avatar is the best I have seen in my life.

Quote by mh400nt
Graybass_20x6 has a better avatar than you
Last edited by graybass_20x6 at Jul 16, 2008,