In the intro to Scarified (i havent gotten past that bit yet ) Do i have to pick every note after the repeated 2nd frets on the E? As in the asscending thing going 4,5,7, 4 (A string)? Ive gotten it almost up to speed just picking the two 4's and hammering the other notes, but is it ok to do that?
PG picks. If God picks it, then you should too.
"It is always advisable to be a loser if you cannot become a winner." - Frank Zappa

The name's Garrett.

Gear and stuff:
Taylor 310
American Strat w/ Texas Specials
Ibanez JS1000
Vox Wah (true bypass & LED mod)
Dr. Z Maz 18 JR NR
Quote by Iron_Dude
PG picks. If God picks it, then you should too.

I agree 100%. PG is God.
Quote by SuperWeirdoUG
I agree 100%. PG is God.

Argument by guitar mastery:

Paul Gilbert is God.

Therefore, God exists

anyway, the whole riff is picked, however the next sections are mostly hammerons and pulloffs.
Quote by CowboyUp
anyway, the whole riff is picked, however the next sections are mostly hammerons and pulloffs.

Which next sections? The string skipping-section is picked and the neo-classical section is picked as well. Unless I'm mistaken, the majority of the song is picked.
"It is always advisable to be a loser if you cannot become a winner." - Frank Zappa

The name's Garrett.

Gear and stuff:
Taylor 310
Ibanez JS1000
Dr. Z Maz 18 JR NR
Okay, well I just learned the song by watching that Spaceship One video on youtube. I didn't know he plays it differently now.

The name's Garrett.

Gear and stuff:
Taylor 310
Ibanez JS1000
Dr. Z Maz 18 JR NR
Quote by beadhangingOne
On the original it's sweep picked, but now pg string skips that I think.

He's always played it as string skips, look on youtube for the early 80s Racer X videos; you can clearly see it's string skipping.

Quote by Iron_Dude
I didn't know he plays it differently now.

He played it differently for a while because of the absence of a harmony part but recently on tour he's been playing it the way he used to with Emi playing the harmony part on keyboard.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
He's always played it as string skips, look on youtube for the early 80s Racer X videos; you can clearly see it's string skipping.

Really? Then the sweep picking must have been by the other guitarist, Bruce Bouillet.
Starting at about :33 to about 40 is mostly hammerons and pulloffs. On the album, the next section is almost all picked, but any live videos or performances I've seen he's played it mostly hammerons and pulloffs as well. The string skipping section at the end only uses a few picked notes (http://youtube.com/watch?v=oKvIAuXMl7U).

Also, any arpeggios that are played by Paul Gilbert are most likely string skipping. Don't believe me, watch a video of Paul playing it. Bruce, on the other hand, uses sweeping a lot.
Last edited by CowboyUp at Jul 20, 2008,
Quote by CowboyUp
Also, any arpeggios that are played by Paul Gilbert are most likely string skipping. Don't believe me, watch a video of Paul playing it. Bruce, on the other hand, uses sweeping a lot.

Troo Dat.

If you watch the video of Bruce doing it on his instructional video on youtube you can see him sweeping it until the ending section after the solos which he also string skips; I'm not sure it's physically possible to do it any other way.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.