yea so i just want to hear your tips and stories of your purchases from ebay (not craiglist). I want to get a mij stratocaster from ebay but im not 100% sure if its trustworthy. im not sure whether online buying is the best way to buy guitars, but i want to hear your opinion on this matter.
So yea. Share your stories and tips!

THANKS
Make sure the seller is reputable and has sold many guitars before... Make sure there are lots of photos of the guitar too, just in case of any bumps not mentioned in the description. I usually deem any seller with well over 100 feedback which are all positive to be trustworthy. I find that buying online is a lot cheaper than in the stores, no doubt. Just make sure the seller is reputable.
I just got my epiphone SG custom 2 days ago after ordering it off of ebay.
I did the buy it now process and paid with paypal. Its shipped in 4 days with no damage, probably cause of the hard case it came with.

Just look for good feed back from seller, look for something with a hardcase for shipping reasons, check serial number, pay with pay pal, and read discribtion so you know what your getting.
Just check out the seller's rating. Anything above 95% is great.
I plays guitars.
Do your research, make sure you know how to identify a real MIJ Strat - Then ask specific questions - if the seller is evasive, or doesn't provide the correct answer, move on.

If the seller has sold lots of guitars, and has good feedback, then that is usually a good sign, but it could equally be someone just selling their guitar who hasn't sold one on ebay before - ask for a picture of something specific - if they can't provide it, there is a pretty good chance that they don't have the guitar.

I've bought and sold hundreds of things off ebay (literally) and never had a problem - just remember if it sounds to good to be true it almost certainly is - there are real bargains to be had - but you have to be careful!

Quote by 2003LP

That's not necessarily true - criminals hijack accounts of people with lots of positive feedback - you still need to be careful if you are about to part with a lot of money!
Quote by 2003LP

Buyers on ebay cannot be left negative feedback, (only sellers can now, ebay ****ed up big time on this if you ask me). Someone could buy stuff on ebay, and get 100% feedback, without selling once. Not to mention, a positive feedback for the sale of a guitar is just as valuable as the positive feedback for something extremely inexpensive, like a guitar pick.
Id be weary. I bought a dean on eBay... The next day the whammy bar nut goes loose. Two days later the input jack you put the cord into FELL INTO the guitar. Then a week later the whammy springs break. BE CAREFULL. Pay with Pay pal, that way when it breaks, if it does you can file a claim and get a FULL refund.
your seller and buyer accounts are separate now, you dont get to count all your positive buy feedback.
I've bought and sold some pretty valuable items on ebay and never been stung. Just becareful and follow these points:

1) Make sure there are photo's of the actual item. Not links from the manufacturers website.
2) Ensure the seller has sold more than 10 or 15 items and still has 95+% feedback. And even better some valuable items.
3) Look at the wording of listed item, does the person sound like they know what they are talking about. Watchout for bad English.
4) Ask them a technical question about the guitar.
5) Ask them can you collect the item in person, if they're relatively local. Even if you don't intend to.
6) I only ever pay via PayPal. I never EVER pay for a valuable item in cash or by check. And I mean NEVER. I will ALWAYS pay via PayPal, it gives you some chance of getting a refund.

If you're unsure DON'T buy.
Yamaha Pacifica 112
Tanglewood TW15NS
Line6 Spider III 15w (playing into the MP3/CD input = bypass all the Spider processing)
Boss DD-3
DigiTech RP500

My other passion in life My Site
Bought my starter set from ebay. Just make sure thay have at least 99% positive feedback, and email them if you need questions answered.
Quote by Kensai

Awesome guy right here
make sure they have good grammar and aren't chinese
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Antisocial Behaviour Order. A chav's equivalent of GCSEs.
Quote by rancidryan
make sure they have good grammar and aren't chinese

Come on man... What is that suppose to mean?
I would avoid them because of the huge shipping costs, though
G͔͓̅e͎͉̟̽ͬ͐̎̃͐ͨͅå͈͖͕̹̤̟̐̏͋ͅr̩͕̫̰̗s̹̳̼ͥ̒̍̄̅ͥ̚:

ESP Standard Eclipse I CTM VW
ESP LTD Deluxe H-1001
ESP LTD Deluxe Viper-1000 STBC
ESP Edwards E-EX-100STD
Warmoth Paulcaster "Tiger"
Tanglewood TW170 AS
Vox Tonelab ST
Blackstar HT-1R

Well a couple of weeks ago I got an epiphone off ebay.
It was second hand and in adelaide (a days drive).Guy had 2 photos and a pretty short description,but it was all good.Guitar was exactly as he said it was,used but useable condition.So far i have got my first guitar,second guitar and amp off ebay and there all good.But personally I would go for second hand that way you can be a bit more sure.
Quote by JoshRocco
Buyers on ebay cannot be left negative feedback, (only sellers can now, ebay ****ed up big time on this if you ask me). Someone could buy stuff on ebay, and get 100% feedback, without selling once. Not to mention, a positive feedback for the sale of a guitar is just as valuable as the positive feedback for something extremely inexpensive, like a guitar pick.

I think it's good. Most of the time when a seller screwed up he would still get positive feedback because the buyer didnt want to receive negative feedback for no reason or as revenge. If you're a genuine seller you have nothing to fear IMO.
Last edited by luke140891 at Jul 15, 2008,
Quote by JoshRocco

There's an option to look at 'feedback as seller'. There's no way they can cheat their way around it. And private ID auction = suspicious
G͔͓̅e͎͉̟̽ͬ͐̎̃͐ͨͅå͈͖͕̹̤̟̐̏͋ͅr̩͕̫̰̗s̹̳̼ͥ̒̍̄̅ͥ̚:

ESP Standard Eclipse I CTM VW
ESP LTD Deluxe H-1001
ESP LTD Deluxe Viper-1000 STBC
ESP Edwards E-EX-100STD
Warmoth Paulcaster "Tiger"
Tanglewood TW170 AS
Vox Tonelab ST
Blackstar HT-1R

I don't honestly recommend buying a used guitar/amp/pedal from ebay unless there's a full money-back guarantee. Just for me personally, I would never spend any decent amount of money on an instrument or accessory that I haven't played or used before I buy it.

I did buy my amp from ebay, but the seller would not ship it, and I had to pick it up so I got to try it out before I gave him the money.

If you feel comfortable, then by all means go for it, but I'd be very, very careful.
Good music is good music...everything else can go to hell

Gear:
Gibson LP Studio
Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue
Avatar G212H (1xG12H30 1xAlnico Gold)
TS-9 Screamer
Boss Tu-2
Line6 X2-XDS Plus

The Band
I would just reccomend craigs list so you can meet people face to face, try what theyre selling you, then pay for it... = simple math
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie
Hey guys in the last 3 weeks I ****ed all the girls in this picture, what do you think?

Quote by dlmebag
Id be weary. I bought a dean on eBay... The next day the whammy bar nut goes loose. Two days later the input jack you put the cord into FELL INTO the guitar. Then a week later the whammy springs break. BE CAREFULL. Pay with Pay pal, that way when it breaks, if it does you can file a claim and get a FULL refund.
Well that's because you bought a Dean. I'd fight a chargeback to the end if some ass bought something from me, broke it, and then demanded the money back. Even if that happens, contact the seller first and explain yourself.

Check seller feedback, look at the pictures. A motivated seller won't grace you with a bunch of pictures made from their four year old Motorola. Most importantly, get in touch with the seller, ask all the questions you have and look at the time and tone of their replies. Most of my guitar buyers would get into some kind of phone/email dialog with me, and past that they're usually assured (since I'm so nice and willing to talk about my wares).

The grammar thing is my personal pet peeve. If a seller can't come up with a grammatically coherent ad, then aside from it being disrespectful to the buyer, I don't trust them to fill out the shipping forms properly.
Fender Japan Stratocaster Ibanez Pro540 Power Ibanez Pro540 Saber Ibanez 430S Ibanez S540 Charvel LSXIII w/GraphTech Ghost MIDI Parker Fly Artist Ibanez S1220 Mesa F30 Roland GR20 Roland Microcube + IBANEZ TREMS STILL SUCK!
Just don't be an idiot and you should be fine. I've bought two guitars off of eBay and have had no problems at all other than not receiving feedback. Ask for quality pictures important parts like headstock, trem, neck joint etc.
1992 Ibanez S540 sol
1988? Kramer Pacer Mutt
Quote by hminh87
Come on man... What is that suppose to mean?
I would avoid them because of the huge shipping costs, though

because there be fake.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Antisocial Behaviour Order. A chav's equivalent of GCSEs.
I bought my guitar over Ebay from a seller in the states. It came just as ordered. I would suggets buying only for the states or Canada (or UK if your from there) because of:
1. Shipping costs
2. Less chance of a fake.

I also really suggest buying pedals used off of Ebay. Shipping is cheap and if your patient you can save over half the retail price. I just bought a Digitech CF-7 for under 40 with shipping, which retails for about 170 or something.
Epiphone Les Paul (Modded with 2 passive pickups and an EMG81)
Yamaha RG guitar w/ Floyd Rose
Rogue Acoustic

BlackHeart BH5 Tube Amp

Danelectro Metal. Digitech Bad Monkey, Digitech CF-7, Crybaby Wah, Danelectro EQ.
Quote by sleeper2g
your seller and buyer accounts are separate now, you dont get to count all your positive buy feedback.

Oh I didn't know that, that makes more sense.

Edit: LOL my feedback jumped from 92% to 100% because of their changes. They must not count feedback from over a year ago now. I had 2 negatives and a neutral from a few years ago and they aren't counted towards my average.

Moral to this story, look at detailed feedback ratings, not just the percentage.
Last edited by JoshRocco at Jul 15, 2008,
Definitely contact the user before you buy from him/her. I bought my Epi LP PLus and it turned out to be a great deal. I also got my classic 30 from Ebay and it wasn't such a good deal, but I was still pleased.
Axes:
2010 Carvin ST300C
1994 Jackson Soloist XL Professional
2008 "Jacksbanez"
2007 Gibson Flying V
2003 Epiphone Les Paul Plus

Amps:
Peavey 6505+ Combo
Peavey Classic 30
Peavey Vypyr 15
1.Read the seller's feedback, and I mean as many as possible.
2.Get the serial number from the seller and check it out. If he has multiple guitars in stock, and can't give you a number; be careful they could be cheap china copies. If he has like less then 100 feedback and are selling more than one of the same guitar it's probably a fake.
3.Don't ever use checks, money orders, or transfers to pay for the guitar.
man really good tips!! Hmmm im not sure still though
i mean, which would you prefer?
1. going to GC and buying a mim strat
2. Buying a mij strat on ebay (they are pretty close in price, sort of)

i mean tone is more important right? and the mij strat i heard is close (quality) to an american strat right? so i would like to buy from ebay but it seems theres too much risk.
i dont know, which would you prefer? Ebay for cheaper or better or GC where you can actually try it out?