Page 1 of 9
does anyone have any quotes from some famous people that diss rap? Or some like famous musician that goes on about how rap is bad? and such?
Most famous people/musicians are quite open-minded and know better than to criticize an entire genre that at times can be absolutely brilliant. I suggest that you do likewise.

Edit: To the guy below me, Soulja Boy is not rap
Ice-T is a true rapper, while Soulja Boy is just another marketing scheme to try and part stupid teenagers and their parents' money.

Everyone hates Soulja Boy. Only close-minded idiots hate rap.
kill all humans
Last edited by alaskan_ninja at Jul 15, 2008,
I don't understand dude. You don't like a certain genre of music so you feel the need to make fun of it? How about this: don't listen to it.
Everybody sound the same, commercialize the game
Reminiscin' when it wasn't all business
It forgot where it started
So we all gather here for the dearly departed

- NAS "Hip Hop is Dead"

<3 me some hiphop
<//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\>
"I hate hip hop" - Mikael Akerfeldt.
New To Town With A Made Up Name

In The Angel's City

Chasing Fortune And Fame
09/03/2012
it seems like Steven Tyler said something about how it was so fake or something
Gibson SG Standard
Ibanez S2170FB
Peavey JSX
Marshall 1960A
TEXAS A&M
Quote by Alter-Bridge
"I hate hip hop" - Mikael Akerfeldt.

'

No no, he said someone famous
<Han> I love Hitler
there's nothing wrong with rap. rap is artistic and at times quite genius. a lot of rapper is better than a lot of rock.

what people seem to confuse is hip hop and rap. not the same thing. hip hop is soulja boy and lil wayne and stuff. i don't think it takes much artistic genius to lazily talk about bitches money and gang violence. i hate hip hop, but love rap.

all in my humble opinion of course.
Quote by Jackintehbox
Pedophilia all the way man. Go for it.

Quote by deathbat831
hahaha i thought you wrote Philidelphia all the way, i was like yeah philidelphias cool i spose

Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
I'm always too embarrassed to buy condoms. Saran wrap is cheaper, anyway.
Quote by sacamano79
it seems like Steven Tyler said something about how it was so fake or something

And if anyone knows what it means to be real, it's Steven Tyler.
I simply cannot take this god-awful place anymore. Goodbye to all the good people here. The rest can fuck off.

Quote by clay pots
there's nothing wrong with rap. rap is artistic and at times quite genius. a lot of rapper is better than a lot of rock.

what people seem to confuse is hip hop and rap. not the same thing. hip hop is soulja boy and lil wayne and stuff. i don't think it takes much artistic genius to lazily talk about bitches money and gang violence. i hate hip hop, but love rap.

So if that's hip hop, what's rap?

In The Angel's City

Chasing Fortune And Fame
09/03/2012
Quote by HaKattack
'

oh diss...
Gear:
Jackson Dinky DK2L
Epiphone LP Standard
Yamaha Acoustic
Bugera 1990 w/ Peavey 2x12 cab
Quote by Alter-Bridge
So if that's hip hop, what's rap?

This.

But I must say I disagree with the other guy's definition of rap and hip-hop, but that's just semantics.
I simply cannot take this god-awful place anymore. Goodbye to all the good people here. The rest can fuck off.

Quote by bigwillie
This.

But I must say I disagree with the other guy's definition of rap and hip-hop, but that's just semantics.

I don't completely agree with it, either. I think hip-hop has more prominent instrument parts, and rap focuses on the vocals more.
My League of Legends stream
The morning will come
In the press of every kiss
With your head upon my chest

Where I will annoy you
With every waking breath
Until you, decide to wake up
most rap although having lyrical talent lacks it in other places such as rythym from a computer or a pencil tapping on a table(im sure people know what im talking about). there is good rap though and i am not saying that it is completely talentless for example the beastie boys, atmosphere or house of pain. even the lyrical content of rap has gone downhill though in early rap it used to be about how you could rap better than the next guy but now its about rapin biches and stuffing them in garbage cans to me its lost its integrity.
"im not going to call somebody a dwarf unless they have direct possesion of a battle-axe."

"curiosity killed your mom!"
What's the difference between the two genres, is what I'm asking. Surely it's not just the lyrical content?

In The Angel's City

Chasing Fortune And Fame
09/03/2012
Quote by SOADrox429
Tech N9ne, Eminem, Tupac, Wu Tang Clan, Stephen Marley, and other things like that.

also immortal technique, hell, even rage against the machine has heavy rap influences, jurassic 5, mos def, and plenty others.
Quote by Jackintehbox
Pedophilia all the way man. Go for it.

Quote by deathbat831
hahaha i thought you wrote Philidelphia all the way, i was like yeah philidelphias cool i spose

Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
I'm always too embarrassed to buy condoms. Saran wrap is cheaper, anyway.
Quote by SOADrox429
I don't completely agree with it, either. I think hip-hop has more prominent instrument parts, and rap focuses on the vocals more.

Yeah, that's what I would define it as too. But the two can be used interchangeably, and I don't really think it's a problem.

Quote by clay pots

With this in mind, not all hip hop is bad.

The way I see it, every genre is as bad as its 'worst' artist'.

People see Soulja Boy and assume all hip-hop is bad. I am not a huge hip-hop fan myself, but I definitely don't dislike it.
Quote by blackthought
Why do we have all these rap threads in the Pit? Isn't that what this is for? I'm not trying to be an asshole about it, but they're constantly on here.

On topic, hip-hop (good) kicks ass. Rap (bad) sucks.

Yeah. It should be there, but going there to ask this would cause much argument.
I prefer rap over hip-hop any day. The lyrical content is usually better, and having a more prominent instrument is pointless, because that kind of music is mostly about lyrics and vocals.
Quote by bigwillie
Yeah, that's what I would define it as too. But the two can be used interchangeably, and I don't really think it's a problem.

Yeah. I usually use the term rap, even if I know it's hip-hop. Most people use rap from what I know anyways.
The morning will come

Where I will annoy you
With every waking breath
Quote by SOADrox429
Yeah. It should be there, but going there to ask this would cause much argument.
I prefer rap over hip-hop any day. The lyrical content is usually better, and having a more prominent instrument is pointless, because that kind of music is mostly about lyrics and vocals.

Yeah. I usually use the term rap, even if I know it's hip-hop. Most people use rap from what I know anyways.

I think we have a misunderstanding, my friend. "Hip-hop" is what I call the quality stuff (Immortal Technique, Nas, Wu-Tang, Black Star, Gang Starr, etc.) and "rap" is what I call the trash (Soulja Boy, 50 Cent, Lil Wayne, and the like). I guess I just invert the terms.
Quote by blackthought
I think we have a misunderstanding, my friend. "Hip-hop" is what I call the quality stuff (Immortal Technique, Nas, Wu-Tang, Black Star, Gang Starr, etc.) and "rap" is what I call the trash (Soulja Boy, 50 Cent, Lil Wayne, and the like). I guess I just invert the terms.

Yeah, we kind of use the opposite terms.
The morning will come

Where I will annoy you
With every waking breath
Quote by clay pots

No, it is all hip hop. Hip hop is the type of music, rapping is a type of singing.
To get on topic, if I may dust off an old chestnut:

Music is like sweets, get rid of the rappers!

But on anohter note, I do admire certain rap like Tupac, Wu Tang Clan, Immortal Technique and Hilltop Hoods (If you are Aussie, you will know them). I like anything that displays some kind of talent. And, with some rap music, there is a degree of songwriting and production that exists as an artform, plus good rap lyrics are just as admirable and poetic as rock lyrics.
Quote by dannyniceboy
I consider myself to be really intelligent and I've gotten into a fight coz this kid thought it was nasty to put sour cream on enchiladas.

Quote by Minkaro
The fact that I went TOO high singing a Darkness song on Singstar

DARK RED TEAM
I agree with many people in this thread, alot of Rap/ Hip-Hop is awesome, however some is incredibly poor. What lets Rap/ Hip-Hop down is artists simply talking over a track about how many bitches they've ****ed or how much money they've earned.

My humble opinion anyways.
Quote by Nick Cannon

Ima report yall forreal
I dont like rap, but I dont think its talentless either

I have listened to the wu tang clan, immortal technique etc but I still dont like rap

So if someone mentions rap and I say I dont like it, I am instatly regarded as close-minded

I respect peoples opinions, I dont hate rap, but I am not close minded
Quote by Kumanji
How about you don't insult my friend's dead mum, you prick.

Quote by JDawg
Too be he had to be a dick about his crayons.
Quote by clay pots

You are almost on the right track you are a little wrong with soulja boy being hip hop. Soulja boy is just simply pop music, like all those other people who make one hit wonders. He is simply a record companies wet dream, he makes one song that every 13 year old girl likes, so then the record company makes money. Then he just gets tossed aside and never heard of again.

I think what the TS is trying to get at here is a quote that states how bad popular music is. He is blindly lead by the media, in that they are saying that popular music these days is simply rap and hip hop. Which it can't be because it is popular music.

The original rap and hip hop is very good musical (artistic) whether you like the style of music or not.
The object of war isn't to die for your country it's to make the other bastard die for his.

New amp fund $51.53/$7000

Quote by j-e-f-f-e-r-s
If I'm in love, I use chloroform.

I know, I'm such an old-fashioned romantic.
Quote by HaKattack
'

How dare you!
Normally I would say the whole don't be close minded thing, but seeing as rap appears to have priority over metal in this thread (one of the most complex musical genres), I'd have to say...

"Cant spell crap without rap" -Pretty much every msn username
Quote by Shylock
Well, If I woke up a girl, I would immediantly proceed to achieving an orgaism.

because they are superior to ours.

I AM HERE TO RIDE BIKE!!!
Also - rap is a PART of hiphop. Hiphop is built from the "four star elements". Bboying, Graffiti, Turntablism and MCing(or rapping or whatever you want to call it).

There is SO MUCH MORE to hiphop than what you see on your TV. There is a huge underground scene basically for hiphop. Hiphop has so much depth to it. You just have to put some energy into finding the hiphop that you actually like, instead of basing your opinion on whats out there for grabs already.

Quote by Matty_V
How dare you!
Normally I would say the whole don't be close minded thing, but seeing as rap appears to have priority over metal in this thread (one of the most complex musical genres), I'd have to say...

Unlike in metal, the complexity in hiphop doesn't lie within the music itself. It lies in the lyrics, the flow of the lyrics. Just because they don't have to practice their fingers going up and down a piece of wood, doesn't mean they didn't put ANY practice into their art. There are so many factors in the lyrics that can make it flow, it's just insane. It takes an incredible amount of practice (just as much as metal) and requires a massive vocabulary and understanding of language.

Even the "****" hiphop out there (basically the pop hiphop) flows. It might have zero depth but I'd still like to see people try to write something similar, that flows like that.
Last edited by Jehuty at Jul 15, 2008,
Quote by Jehuty
Also - rap is a PART of hiphop. Hiphop is built from the "four star elements". Bboying, Graffiti, Turntablism and MCing(or rapping or whatever you want to call it).

There is SO MUCH MORE to hiphop than what you see on your TV. There is a huge underground scene basically for hiphop. Hiphop has so much depth to it. You just have to put some energy into finding the hiphop that you actually like, instead of basing your opinion on whats out there for grabs already.

Unlike in metal, the complexity in hiphop doesn't lie within the music itself. It lies in the lyrics, the flow of the lyrics. Just because they don't have to practice their fingers going up and down a piece of wood, doesn't mean they didn't put ANY practice into their art. There are so many factors in the lyrics that can make it flow, it's just insane. It takes an incredible amount of practice (just as much as metal) and requires a massive vocabulary and understanding of language.

Even the "****" hiphop out there (basically the pop hiphop) flows. It might have zero depth but I'd still like to see people try to write something similar, that flows like that.

Totally agree. If you tried to sing along to a rap song, regardless of whether or not you have a decent voice, you'd get tongue tied extremely quickly. I know, I've tried it. Even the practise of articulation takes years to master at that speed.

Meh, I think most of those who bash rap are ignorant pricks to be honest.
Fender 60th Anniversary Standard Strat,
Epiphone Les Paul ES,
Line6 Flextone III,
Laney VC15,
Some pedals,
Some recording gear.
I think most of the people here are discussing rap's artistic merits, which are of course there for interpretation and debate. It kind of annoys me, though, when some people want to call the "good stuff" rap or hip-hop and the "bad" stuff the other. (for the record, rap is a style that emphasizes following one's own rhyme schemes and staying within the cadence of the poetry, while hip-hop is about staying in touch with an outside melody. Notice Tupac's rhyme schemes and how they're basically flawless, then notice anything by Chris Brown for clarification). Rap and hip-hop are style terms, not quality classifications.

I wonder, too, if people on the side of rap tend to give it too much leeway in the areas of the negativity it perpetuates in the name of art. Not to say other things aren't negative or that it should be banned or anytihng like that, just simply to say that thee is some gruesome stuff in rap that, if misinterpreted or not seen for its "artistic merit" could convince people to do stupid ****. Again, I'm not proposing a ban or anything, as a lot of my preferred music can do the same or worse. The point is, some people seem willing to give rap an unconditional hallpass in the name of art, which is unfair.

TS, check out Bill Cosby...I know he's a comedian, but he's actually very outspoken about the negative effects of rap music. Youtube it.
Classifieds mod said this didn't count as trying to sell anything, I'll say it here:

If you're looking to be able to take credit cards in-person (not over the internet where paypal will work), pm me and I can hook you up with the stuff you need.
Quote by Matty_V
How dare you!

Lets you rap for 3-4 minutes straight, while improvising insults and lyrics, without missing a beat, digging into the rythm.

Oh, and classical, jazz, flamenco and countless other genres are more complex than metal.

The Pit is so pathetic!

So many users think they're so cool and multidimensional/dynamic because they "appreciate rap", and then they all list the typical artists like Tupac and Immortal Technique
My God, it's full of stars!
Quote by Dreadnought

The Pit is so pathetic!

So many users think they're so cool and multidimensional/dynamic because they "appreciate rap", and then they all list the typical artists like Tupac and Immortal Technique

I rarely come in these types of threads for this reason ^

Who in the hell is immortal technique anyways?

Bah nevermind. I don't care.

Wasn't tupac racist? I've heard that somewhere. I think his mom/dad were/was a black panther or something. I can't remember.

edit: By the way, I'm not a fan of a genre of music that degrades women and constantly talks about how much money and drugs they have.