So here's the situation: We recorded the only 3 songs we have (in profile), and put them up on our myspace, and we have been approached by someone that has offered a slot for us at a venue downtown (we are in houston btw, its "the engine room"). We would be preforming on August 22 (3 days before all of our college starts).

Problems:
We have no gear to play live shows, especially since we have been told by our friends that it is a fairly large place. In performances past, we could cut it with a vox valvetronix 30watt. I am trying to get my hands on a 5150, and a cab because I have been meaning to pick one up for a while and finnaly have the money. Are there places that rent out equipment like we are looking for?

We only have 3 songs, and the set would be 30 minutes long! We are throwing in a cover of miserlou and a few other short things, but we only have 15 minutes worth of stuff total. We are writing other songs, but Im not sure how many we can write. If you could suggest cover songs for us to do, it would be appreciated.

Lastly, if anyone has any good tips for a first gig, please post them, I will have no idea what it is like.
Gibson SG Standard
Ibanez S2170FB
Peavey JSX
Marshall 1960A
TEXAS A&M
The main thing, enjoy yourself and look like it aswell, remember to talk to the crowd interact with them, have a bit of stage presence!

Good luck
The vox amp should be fine, most (especially larger) venues mic the amps and put them through the PA so it will be loud enough.
Do more covers, if this is your first gig then noone will know your songs so i suggest lots of covers with a few originals (or the three you have) thrown in
Quote by Eirien
The vox amp should be fine, most (especially larger) venues mic the amps and put them through the PA so it will be loud enough.

Good call, your most likely correct.
what are the advantages/disadvantages of say, micing a smaller amp, as opposed to just using a fking loud one? I would assume they would want you to mic it so they could control volumes from a sound board?
Gibson SG Standard
Ibanez S2170FB
Peavey JSX
Marshall 1960A
TEXAS A&M
Quote by sacamano79
Good call, your most likely correct.
what are the advantages/disadvantages of say, micing a smaller amp, as opposed to just using a fking loud one? I would assume they would want you to mic it so they could control volumes from a sound board?

Most amps give the best overdriven sound when you push that amp to it's limits, with a large amp, especialy on a confined stage, doing that causes feedback and other grief for the sound tech. A smaller amp, through a decent PA system will give you the same overdriven sound as a large amp but at a lower volume, thus lessening the chance of feedback.
But if you're only playing with a vocal PA, you want bigger guitar amps.
SWEET FINALLY A HOUSTON BAND. You guys are playing at the Engine room? I went to a party there once. What high school do you go to?

also, how did you guys go about getting your stuff recorded?
Quote by kgesme21

Quote by Hsupernova

Oh yeah, and if guitar hero got you into the guitar? you're really playing for the wrong reasons.

there is no wrong reason to play a guitar, except for world enslavement and extermination of certain races, but those guys never make it big anyway.