So I'm not new to the computer industry, I'm just outdated on current tech. I'm in the market for a new pc, and I have seen Acer as a cheap alternative. It has reasonable specs

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Acer-AX1200-U1520A-Desktop-PC-AX1200U1520A/sem/rpsm/oid/214483/catOid/-12962/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

• AMD Athlon 64 X2 4850e
• 320GB hard drive
• 4GB of DDR2 memory
• Burns DVDs and CDs
• NVIDIA GeForce 8200
• Windows Vista Home Premium

But are Acer systems any good? I mainly do light gaming, photo editing, internet browsing, running stuff like Guitar Pro 5, downloading music and movies, you know simple tasks. Its a dual core, running each core at 2.5ghz, and the salesman at Best Buy told me it could have no problem running games like Halflife 2, Oblivion, battlefield 2, Call of Duty 4, and programs such as Photoshop etc. Is this a good idea to go with? All in all if I get the Acer, I get a 19in widescreen flat panel monitor, keyboard/mouse and printer for $599. Now, I'm also considering an HP slimline, which has more processing power (2.7ghz on a dual core) but only has the geforce 6150. Other than that its pretty much give and take, except the HP has built in wifi, which I do need, so if I were to get the Acer, I would have to get a wireless thingy for it but that still would save me $50 in the end, or I could just get a router and 2 more ethernet cables (one for the xbox, one for the pc) which would make my internet faster than wifi.
The hp is http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/HP-Pavilion-Slimline-S3400F-Desktop-PC-S3400F/sem/rpsm/oid/207309/catOid/-12962/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

So basically I've narrowed down the pros and cons

The pros of the acer is price, the full system is nearly $100 cheaper than the hp before wifi card or routers etc
Better graphics card I think. I'm assuming the 8200 is better than the integrated 6150
I personally like the looks of it better
More ram? Best buy told me they both had 4 gb, but circuit city has it that the acer has 4 and the hp has 3...

The cons are that its a brand that seems cheap maybe, or maybe just not well known?
The hp has neat little features, like lightscribe.
It has a bigger hard drive Acer=350gb HP=500gb

I'd like to hear some opinions, and also if you have computers that you would suggest that would be great! I'm looking to spend approx $700 total for monitor, and system. Printer would be nice, but not a must. Best buy has the Acer at 600 for everything I need + printer and the HP at 700 for everything I need + printer.
Quote by darkstar2466
Ollieyoufool seems like a self-made man.

Quote by MightyAl
If you punched through plasterboard, I'm pretty sure you can fill it.
If you punched through bricks, why are you scared of your dad?
Acer are pretty good. In fact, I'm on my acer laptop right now!
Quote by Kensai

Awesome guy right here
Acers are proberbly the best bang for the buck in the market today. Superb value for money and pretty reliable..
Although your spec wont really run games too well (if you ARE into gaming) u'd need a 8600 GT minimum (graphic card) to run the games u mentioned.
For everything else, its super.
cheers
Set up:-
Kustom Sound 40W Guitar Amp
Marshall MG15 CD
Zoom 707 II (surprisingly good..)
VOX Tonelab ST
Jackson DK2M (Seymour duncan TB4 and the SD jazz)
Acer are good enough.

Regarding RAM: Unless you go for a 64bit OS, then 3GB is the max you can use anyway.

Regarding GPU: Yeah, the Acer wins there, it'll play games fine, not stupidly high detail, but fine.

Regarding CPU: The difference between the two is negligable.

Regarding Wifi: Inbuilt Wifi in these slim PCs is terrible - you'd probably need a new one anyway. Also, may as well get 802.11N - slightly dearer, but faster.

Regarding HDD: 350GB is not enough! Having said that, neither is 500GB!

In the end, I'd probably go Acer. They also make some gorgeuos displays. Can't comment on HP displays.

One note I will say: Try get Vista x64 installed. May cost you a few extra $$$, but it'll be worth it.
I've got an acer. It's pretty good but my CD drive stopped working and I didn't get a guarantee so i'll need to pay to get it fixed. But then again, that might have been somehting I done to mess it up.
Apart from that they're pretty good.
Quote by Joeval
Acer are pretty good. In fact, I'm on my acer laptop right now!

How is the quality? Is it cheap feeling or is it pretty solid? The one I looked at appeared to be made of the same plastic as all the rest haha. I'd ask if it had system errors or freezups often, but I couldn't say much, as its running windows first and foremost, and my Dell Laptop is pretty cheap it seems, although its lasted me 3 years, it is the budget model, and I just don't want to get stuck with a cheap thing that is junky.
Quote by darkstar2466

Quote by MightyAl
Acer are amazing computers.
End of story.
Best value for money out there.
Quote by demoniacfashion
Is there any black people on UG?
I don't think a lot of black people play guitar anymore.

Quote by Oasis-fanatic
they all kinda went extinct after hendrix really.

Needless to say, I lol'ed.

Quote by human panda
Appart from being on UG or wanking, thats what i mostly do
Quote by Aditya
Acers are proberbly the best bang for the buck in the market today. Superb value for money and pretty reliable..
Although your spec wont really run games too well (if you ARE into gaming) u'd need a 8600 GT minimum (graphic card) to run the games u mentioned.
For everything else, its super.
cheers

How much does an 8600 gt cost? And I'm sure it can run at least half life 2 as my dell laptop with integrated intel graphics and a 1.8 ghz processor can run it haha! I'm not hardcore in to gaming but I want to be able to.
Quote by darkstar2466

Quote by MightyAl
Quote by saphrax
Acer are good enough.

Regarding RAM: Unless you go for a 64bit OS, then 3GB is the max you can use anyway.

Regarding GPU: Yeah, the Acer wins there, it'll play games fine, not stupidly high detail, but fine.

Regarding CPU: The difference between the two is negligable.

Regarding Wifi: Inbuilt Wifi in these slim PCs is terrible - you'd probably need a new one anyway. Also, may as well get 802.11N - slightly dearer, but faster.

Regarding HDD: 350GB is not enough! Having said that, neither is 500GB!

In the end, I'd probably go Acer. They also make some gorgeuos displays. Can't comment on HP displays.

One note I will say: Try get Vista x64 installed. May cost you a few extra $$$, but it'll be worth it.

What is the difference between regular vista and x64? Thanks for the input on the inbuilt wifi, that sways me a lot. The Acer display i used was good (not as glossy as the hp ones) but was a 19" or 20" I can't remember and the HP had a 17". The Acer display was very nice though. I don't plan on filling up a whole 350 gb hd, let alone a 500gb. I have about 50ish gb of games and 30+gb of music, but thats it, and I'm not planning on installing all 50gb of games anywho haha
Quote by darkstar2466

Quote by MightyAl
Sorry if I'm double posting but I noticed that the acer has 5.1 surround sound input jacks, which is nice as I use 5.1 surround in my room, although on my current computer its rigged up so its just stereo sound over 5 speakers and a subwoofer
Quote by darkstar2466

Quote by MightyAl
I Spent a whole lot on my Acer, and its starting to show how awful computing can be, so im ditching it soon along with XP to get a new iMac, and the 2 acer's i have had have both had loud noisy fans and when you try and play games the computer tends to restart a fair bit, i got the same one as mentioned in 1st post

Gibson Buckethead Les Paul & Peter Frampton Les Paul
Dean Razorback Slime Bumblebee
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier
EHX Memory Man/Hazarai
Digitch Whammy
Sovtek Straight 4x12
Herdim Picks
Laney Linebacker 50 Reverb
MXR Phase 90
Quote by TheFly_1990
I Spent a whole lot on my Acer, and its starting to show how awful computing can be, so im ditching it soon along with XP to get a new iMac

What are the issues you are having? Is it just dislike of windows or is it system failures/hardware failures etc?
Quote by darkstar2466

Quote by MightyAl
Quote by Ollieyoufool
What are the issues you are having? Is it just dislike of windows or is it system failures/hardware failures etc?

i think windows is great, but when your sound card and hard drive burns out in under a year of owning it, it makes me question what cheap materials they use to build these machines, and im just a little bored of how limited windows is, be careful Acers DVD RW drives suck!

just talking to my friend, an ICT tech at my local college, he seems to think the best way to go with windows is to build your own with XP home/pro/media, Vista will just eat your RAM

Gibson Buckethead Les Paul & Peter Frampton Les Paul
Dean Razorback Slime Bumblebee
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier
EHX Memory Man/Hazarai
Digitch Whammy
Sovtek Straight 4x12
Herdim Picks
Laney Linebacker 50 Reverb
MXR Phase 90
Last edited by TheFly_1990 at Jul 15, 2008,
Quote by TheFly_1990
i think windows is great, but when your sound card and hard drive burns out in under a year of owning it, it makes me question what cheap materials they use to build these machines, and im just a little bored of how limited windows is, be careful Acers DVD RW drives suck!

just talking to my friend, an ICT tech at my local college, he seems to think the best way to go with windows is to build your own with XP home/pro/media, Vista will just eat your RAM

Yeah I'd definitely buy a service plan with a product I don't know much about. I'm probably going to buy through best buy, and they offer a 3 year service plan where if something messes up they replace the system. I agree about the xp build, but my family is giving me the money for the computer for my birthday/entering college present, and will only give the money if I buy a computer thats pre built. I initially suggested building my own
Quote by darkstar2466

Quote by MightyAl
I work at Staples, and both the techs have told me that Acers are very good for the money and are excellent all around products.
There is an ONLY Computer thread
¤´¨留話 請留話 請在我說完後
¸.•´¸.•´¨¸.•¤¨哭泣我不在這裡 我不在那裡請在嗶一聲之後留
(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´(´¸.•¤´`¤下自己的秘密請在嗶一聲之後對話筒沾自喜請在嗶一聲之後對空氣唉聲嘆氣

我不在這裡 我人在哪裡 我想到哪裡¤

請在嗶一聲之後留下有聲的話題¤

請在嗶一聲之後分擔感情的問題¤

¤¤¤