im wondering, what are the things that make Indie rock diferent from other genres. cuz im really into Bloc Party, Blur, The Strokes but im not quite sure what are the characteristics of Indie Rock...

thanks
Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't indie rock mean a rock group that releases albums without a record deal?
the majority of indie (pop indie) is horrible whiney voices repeating the same one or two lines for half the song....
however there is good indie such as Blur, Libertines, Babyshambles and The Strokes which cant be given a label because they are pretty original; even those 4 bands i named have pretty different styles
No endeavour rivals science in its incremental progress towards a more complete understanding of the observable universe.
Thats what I thought, but Sammy2k7's definition makes sense too. I'm sure the term "indie" can apply to the absence of a record deal, or an original style, which is where I think Sammy was going.
Well Radiohead don't have a record label now but I wouldn't classify their music as 'Indie'.
"Indie" isn't a genre, it's a status.

I would genre-ify bands like the Strokes and Bloc Party as post-punk or Brit-rock, personally.
There's only one girl in the world for you
and she probably lives in Tahiti.
I think this article sums it up pretty well.

Edit: Although it must be said that indie and indie rock are tow completely different things. Indie describes what kind of record label you're signed to and indie rock is a genre.
Last edited by European Son at Jul 15, 2008,
Quote by European Son
I think this article sums it up pretty well.

Edit: Although it must be said that indie and indie rock are tow completely different things. Indie describes what kind of record label you're signed to and indie rock is a genre.

Yup.

Whenever I started listening to indie-rock, I really didn't have a clue what it was all about. Much like with Punk, I think the only way you can learn what it actually is (or "means") is by listening to it, reading about it and, obviously, experiencing it first hand.

The allmusic article posted above is a pretty good introduction. Check out some of the albums listed in that article and buy a copy of Slanted & Enchanted by Pavement (I just noticed it's not mentioned in that article!).
i'd say early Strokes were garage rock revival, while the 2nd and 3rd albums were more post-punky.

this quote from the article gives a decent summary of "indie"
it's rock made by and for outsiders
I read once that the term 'Alternative' was a Brittish way to say 'Indie' or something like that. I hate genre's when it gets down to this...
there are so many subgenres of indie music that are so dissimilar it's impossible to categorize it as a singular sound. listen to joanna newsom, then listen to big black and tell me the similarities. (apart from steve albini as engineer :P)
Member of the We Have Better Taste Than You club
PM DorkusMalorkus with a list of your favorite bands to join

last.fm
indie was originally short for independent, meaning self-promoting, and all of that stuff. But now, it seems to be an umbrella term for any band with self-pitying lyrics and a lack of talent. And it probably doesn't hurt to throw in a chick playing the cello while wearing a Victorian ballgown. There are some good independent bands out there, but the majority of the so-called indie rock makes me violently ill. Ten years from now, I'd really like to meet everyone who's currently into bands like the Killers, Fallout Boy, the Bravery, and look at their "what the f*** was I thinking?" faces. I'm just saying they suck. Come back to me in a year or two and tell me what you think.
You think The Killers suck? Fallout Boy and The Bravery aren't too great in my opinion but The Killers are a decent Indie band.